Rapid evolution towards heavy metal resistance by mountain birch around two subarctic copper–nickel smelters
Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2008
© 2008 The Author
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 2, pages 492–501, March 2008
How to Cite
ERÄNEN, J. K. (2008), Rapid evolution towards heavy metal resistance by mountain birch around two subarctic copper–nickel smelters. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 492–501. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2007.01491.x
- Issue online: 10 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2008
- Received 11 September 2007; revised 26 November 2007; accepted 5 December 2007
- 2004. Evolution of plant resistance and tolerance to frost damage. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1199–1208. , &
- 1995. Survival Analysis Using the SAS System: A Practical Guide. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- 1988. Gas exchange and SO2 fumigation studies with irrigated and unirrigated field grown Diplacus aurantiacus and Heteromeles arbutifolia. Oecologia 75: 386–393. , &
- 1998. Soil surface geochemical anomaly around the copper–nickel metallurgical smelter. Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 103: 197–218. &
- 1997. Plant Resource Allocation. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA. &
- 1991. Annual Report of Ambient Air Pollution in Cities and Industrial Centres of Soviet Union. Volume “Emission of Pollutants”. Voeikov Main Geophysical Observatory, St. Petersburg, Russia (in Russian).
- 2005. Photosynthetic organisms and excess of metals. Photosynthetica 43: 345–353. &
- 1936. Vegetation of monchetundra. In: Materials on the Vegetation of Northern and Western Parts of the Kola Peninsula (Y.D.Zinzerling, ed), pp. 95–121. Academy of Sciences of the U.S.S.R., Moscow and Leningrad, Soviet Union (in Russian). &
- 1989. Chlorophyll fluorescence as a probe of the photosynthetic competence of leaves in the field – a review of current instrumentation. Funct. Ecol. 3: 497–514. , , , , &
- 1997. Anthropogenic noble-metal enrichment of topsoil in the Monchegorsk area, Kola Peninsula, northwest Russia. J. Geochem. Explor. 58: 283–289. , , , , , &
- 1991. The Croonian lecture, 1991: genostasis and the limits to evolution. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. 333: 289–305.
- 1981. Evolution and Pollution. Edward Arnold, London, UK. &
- 1987. Serpentine and Its Vegetation: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Croom Helm, Beckenham, UK.
- 1985. Zinc tolerance of mycorrhizal Betula. New Phytol. 99: 101–106. &
- 2004. Changes of photosynthetic parameters in cucumber leaves under Cu, Cd, and Pb stress. Photosynthetica 42: 505–510. &
- 1997. Effects of in vivo copper treatment on the photosynthetic apparatus of two Triticum durum cultivars with different stress sensitivity. Physiol. Plant. 100: 901–908. , , , &
- 1972. Regression models and life-tables. J. R. Stat. Soc. B. 34: 187–220.
- 1987. Zinc tolerance in Betula spp. 1. Effect of external concentration of zinc on growth and uptake. New Phytol. 106: 517–524. &
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 77–81. , &
- 1991. How do trees and other long lived plants survive in polluted environments. Funct. Ecol. 5: 5–11. , &
- 1991. The role of abiotic factors in community organization. Amer. Nat. 138: 1067–1091. &
- 2001. The Turiy massif, Kola Peninsula, Russia: isotopic and geochemical evidence for multi-source evolution. J. Petrol. 42: 377–405. &
- 2006. Physical sheltering and liming improve survival and performance of Mountain birch seedlings: a 5-year study in a heavily polluted industrial barren. Restoration Ecol. 14: 77–86. &
- 2007a. Competition and facilitation in industrial barrens: variation in performance of mountain birch seedlings with distance from nurse plants. Chemosphere 67: 1088–1095. &
- 2007b. Microtopographic factors as modes of shelter in industrial barrens. In: Proceedings of the 8th Finnish Conference of Environmental Sciences, Mikkeli, 10-11 May, 2007 (H.Xiang, M.Neg Akieh, A.M.Vuorio, T.Jokinen & M.Sillanpää, eds), pp. 15–18. Finnish Society of Environmental Sciences, Mikkeli, Finland. &
- 1986. A review of the genetics of Betula. Scand. J. Forest Res. 1: 421–434. &
- 2007. Rapid evolution of flowering time by an annual plant in response to a climate fluctuation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 104: 1278–1282. , &
- 1988. The evolution of ecological specialization. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 19: 207–233. &
- 1974. The potential for evolution of heavy metal tolerance in plants 2. Copper tolerance in normal populations of different plant species. Heredity 32: 335–348. &
- 1975. Competition between metal tolerant and normal plant populations – field experiment on normal soil. Evolution 29: 458–464. &
- 1991. Evolutionary Genetics and Environmental Stress. Oxford University Press, New York, USA. &
- 2007. Within and between generation phenotypic plasticity in trichome density of Mimulus guttatus. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 2092–2100.
- 1995. Morphological and molecular variation in natural populations of Betula. New Phytol. 130: 117–124. , &
- 2000. Rapid evolution of a geographic cline in size in an introduced fly. Science 287: 308–309. , , , &
- 1986. The effect of mycorrhizal infection on the response of Betula papyrifera to nickel and copper. New Phytol. 102: 429–442. &
- 2002. Migration, local adaptation and the evolution of plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 540–541. , &
- 2001. The pace of modern life II: From rates of contemporary microevolution to pattern and process. Genetica 112: 145–164. &
- 1988. Benefits of windbreaks to field and forage crops. Agricult. Ecosys. Environ. 22/23: 165–190.
- 2001. Snowpack changes around a nickel–copper smelter at Monchegorsk, northwestern Russia. Can. J. Forest Res. 31: 1684–1690.
- 2002. Changes in wind regime around a nickel–copper smelter at Monchegorsk, northwestern Russia. Int. J. Biometeorol. 46: 76–80.
- 2005a. Pollution resistance of mountain birch, Betula pubescens subsp. czerepanovii, near the copper–nickel smelter: natural selection or phenotypic acclimation? Chemosphere 59: 189–197.
- 2005b. Sources of variation in concentrations of nickel and copper in mountain birch foliage near a nickel–copper smelter at Monchegorsk, north-western Russia: results of long-term monitoring. Environ. Pollut. 135: 91–99.
- 1998. Microclimate changes along a strong pollution gradient in northern boreal forest zone. In: Ecosystems and Sustainable Development (J.L.Uso, C.A.Brebbia & H.Power, eds), pp. 603–614. Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton, UK. &
- 1999. Performance of birch seedlings replanted in heavily polluted industrial barrens of the Kola Peninsula, Northwest Russia. Restoration Ecol. 7: 145–154. &
- 2007. Industrial barrens: extreme habitats created by non-ferrous metallurgy. Rev. Environ. Sci. Biotech. 6: 231–259. &
- 2007. Budburst phenology of white birch in industrially polluted areas. Environ. Pollut. 148: 125–131. , &
- 2002. Acclimation and adaptive responses of woody plants to environmental stresses. Bot. Rev. 68: 270–334. &
- 1991. The Physiological Ecology of Plants. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA. , &
- 2001. The Kovdor phlogopite deposit, Kola Peninsula, Russia. Can. Mineral. 39: 33–44.
- 1993. Extreme anthropogenic loads and the northern ecosystem condition. Ecol. Appl. 3: 622–630.
- 1996. SAS System for Mixed Models, 3rd edn. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA. , , &
- 1997. The evolution of plants in metal-contaminated environments. In: Environmental Stress, Adaptation and Evolution (R.Bijlsma & V.Loeschcke, eds), pp. 3–24. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel, Switzerland.
- 2001. A comparison of physiological indicators of sublethal cadmium stress in wetland plants. Environ. Exper. Bot. 46: 263–275. , &
- 2004. Annual Report on Emissions of Pollutants into the Atmosphere in Cities and Regions of the Russian Federation in 2003. Institute of Ambient Air Protection, St. Petersburg, Russia (in Russian). &
- 2001. Relationship between PSII activity, CO2 fixation, and Zn, Mn and Mg contents of Lolium perenne under zinc stress. J. Plant Physiol. 158: 1137–1144. , , , , &
- 2003. Evidence of parallel evolution and site-specific selection of serpentine tolerance in Cerastium alpinum during the colonization of Scandinavia. New Phytol. 161: 199–209. , &
- 2000. Decreased photosynthetic efficiency in plant species exposed to multiple airborne pollutants along the Russian-Norwegian border. Can. J. Bot. 78: 1021–1033. , &
- 1994. Europe top 100 polluters. New Scientist 143: 9.
- 1987. Changes in light intensity and soil temperature as a result of forest decline on camels hump, Vermont. Can. J. Forest Res. 17: 565–568. , &
- 1999. Toxins, nutrient shortages and drought: The serpentine challenge. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 334–335.
- 1995. Resistance to copper toxicity in some British willows. J. Geochem. Explor. 52: 259–266. , &
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptations: what empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica 112: 183–198. &
- 1987. Maternal effects in plants. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18: 209–235. &
- 2005. Reflectance properties and physiological responses of Salicornia virginica to heavy metal and petroleum contamination. Environ. Pollut. 137: 241–252. , , &
- 1953. Plant life on serpentines and related rocks in the north of Sweden. Acta Phytogeogr. Suec. 31: 1–139.
- 1998. Phenotypic Evolution – A Reaction Norm Perspective. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA, USA. &
- 2003. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18: 94–101. , &
- 1999. The ecology and evolution of plant tolerance to herbivory. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 179–185. &
- 1994. The responses of plants to heavy metals. In: Toxic Metals in Soil-Plant Systems (S.M.Ross, ed), pp. 153–187. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK.
- 1993. Survival of Acer pseudoplatanus L. (Sycamore) seedlings on metalliferous soils. New Phytol. 123: 509–521. &
- 1991. Indices of metal tolerance in trees. Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 57-58: 617–625. , &
- 1997. Differential tolerance to copper and zinc of micropropagated birches tested in hydroponics. New Phytol. 137: 543–549. , , &
- 1933. Die lepidopterenfauna des Petsamogebietes. Ann. Zool. Fennici 1: 1–266 (in German).
- 2007. Adaptive microevolutionary responses to simulated global warming in Simocephalus vetulus: a mesocosm study. Global Change Biol. 13: 878–886. , , &
- 1995. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity – consensus and controversy. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10: 212–217. , , , , &
- 1995. Multiple metal resistance and co-resistance in Acer pseudoplatanus L. (Sycamore) callus cultures. Ann. Bot. 76: 465–472. &
- 1999. Growth response of altitudinal ecotypes of mountain birch to temperature and fertilisation. Oecologia 119: 16–23. &
- 2001. Variation in growth patterns among provenances, ecotypes and individuals of mountain birch. In: Nordic Mountain Birch Ecosystems (F.E.Wielgolaski, ed), pp. 143–154. The Parthenon Publishing Group, New York, USA. &
- 2002. Low winter soil temperature affects summertime nutrient uptake capacity and growth rate of mountain birch seedlings in the subarctic, Swedish Lapland. Arct. Antarct. Alp. Res. 34: 434–439. &