Environmentally induced changes in carotenoid-based coloration of female lizards: a comment on Vercken et al.
Article first published online: 24 APR 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 4, pages 1165–1172, July 2008
How to Cite
COTE, J., LE GALLIARD, J.-F., ROSSI, J.-M. and FITZE, P. S. (2008), Environmentally induced changes in carotenoid-based coloration of female lizards: a comment on Vercken et al. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 1165–1172. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01534.x
- Issue published online: 24 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 24 APR 2008
- Received 10 January 2008; revised 7 March 2008; accepted 11 March 2008
- 1987. Sex recognition by males of the lizard Lacerta vivipara: an introductory study. Amphib.-Reptil.. 8: 49–57.
- 1992. Reptilian coloration and behavior. In: Biology of the Reptilia, Vol. 18 (C.Gans & D.Crews, eds), pp. 298–422. University Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. &
- 2006. Socially acquired information in the common lizard (Lacerta vivipara). Ecology. Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris.
- 1990. On the measurement and classification of colour in studies of animal colour patterns. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 41: 315–352.
- 1991. Variation in the appearance of guppy colour patterns to guppies and their predators under different visual conditions. Vision Res. 31: 587–608.
- 2005. Comparing entire colour patterns as birds see them. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 86: 405–431. &
- 2003. Effects of common origin and common environment on nestling plumage coloration in the great tit (Parus major). Evolution 57: 144–150. , &
- 2005. Conflict over multiple partner mating among males and females of polygynandrous common lizards. Evolution 59: 2451–2459. , , , &
- 1999. Software for model-based cluster analysis. J. Classification 16: 297–306. &
- 2003. Colour polymorphism in birds: causes and functions. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 635–646. , , &
- 1994. Plumage colour signals nutritional condition in the house finch. Proc. R. Soc. B: Biol. Sci. 258: 47–52. &
- 2000. A review of colour and pattern polymorphisms in anurans. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 70: 633–665. &
- 2005. Sex ratio bias, male aggression, and population collapse in lizards. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 102: 18231–18236. , , &
- 2006. Ontogenic sources of variation in sexual size dimorphism in a viviparous lizard. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 690–704. , , , &
- 2000. The role of colour in signalling and male choice in the agamid lizard Ctenophorus ornatus. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 267: 445–452. &
- 1994. A cost of sexual harassment in the guppy, Poecilia reticulata. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 258: 89–92. &
- 1999. Social costs and development of nuptial coloration in male Psammodromus algirus lizards: an experiment. Behav. Ecol. 10: 396–400. &
- 1992. Density dependence in the common lizard: demographic consequences of a density manipulation. Ecology 73: 1742–1756. , , , &
- 1990. Female sticklebacks use male coloration in mate choice and hence avoid parasitized males. Nature 344: 330–333. &
- 2000. Carotenoid-dependent signals: indicators of foraging efficiency, immunocompetence or detoxification ability? Avian Poult. Biol. Rev. 11: 137–159. , , , , , &
- 1998. Costly sexual signals: are carotenoids rare, risky or required? Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 510–514. &
- 2000. Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-PLUS. Springer-Verlag, New York. &
- 2005. Age-specific mating strategies and reproductive senescence. Mol. Ecol. 14: 3147–3155. , , &
- 1996. The evolution of threshold traits in animals. Q. Rev. Biol. 71: 3–35.
- 2004. The evolution, maintenance and adaptive function of genetic colour polymorphism in birds. Biol. Rev. 79: 815–48.
- 2001. Sexual harassment as a cost for molly females: bigger males cost less. Behaviour 138: 277–286. , &
- 2006. The developmental, physiological, neural, and genetical causes and consequences of frequency-dependent selection in the wild. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37: 581–610. &
- 1996. The rock-paper-scissors game and the evolution of alternative male strategies. Nature 380: 240–243. &
- 1993. Social, environmental and genetic factors in the ontogeny of phenotypic differentiation in a lizard with alternative male reproductive strategies. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 33: 137–146. , &
- 1999. Modern Applied Statistics with S-PLUS. Springer-Verlag, New York. &
- 2008. Ventral color polymorphism correlates with alternative behavioral patterns in female common lizards (Lacerta vivipara). Ecoscience 15: in press. &
- 2007. Colour variation and alternative reproductive strategies in females of the common lizard Lacerta vivipara. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 221–232. , , &
- 2006. Female-specific color is a signal of quality in the striped plateau lizard (Sceloporus virgatus). Behav. Ecol. 17: 726–732.