Effects of malaria double infection in birds: one plus one is not two
Article first published online: 6 MAY 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 4, pages 979–987, July 2008
How to Cite
MARZAL, A., BENSCH, S., REVIRIEGO, M., BALBONTIN, J. and DE LOPE, F. (2008), Effects of malaria double infection in birds: one plus one is not two. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 979–987. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01545.x
- Issue published online: 6 MAY 2008
- Article first published online: 6 MAY 2008
- Received 17 September 2007; revised 18 March 2008; accepted 31 March 2008
- 1991. Pathogenicity and epizootiology of avian haematozoa: Plasmodium, Leucocytozoon and Haemoproteus. In: Bird–parasite Interactions (J.E.Loye & M.Zuk, eds), pp. 19–48. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2000. Pathogenicity of avian malaria in experimentally-infected Hawaii Amakihi. J. Wildl. Dis. 36: 197–204. , , &
- 1988. Influence of blood parasites on the body mass of Passeriform birds. J. Wildl. Dis. 24: 339–343. , &
- 2000. Host specificity in avian blood parasites: a study of Plasmodium and Haemoproteus mitochondrial DNA amplified from birds. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 1583–1589. , , , , , &
- 2004. Linkage between nuclear and mitochondrial DNA sequences in avian malaria parasites multiple cases of cryptic speciation? Evolution 58: 1617–1621. , , &
- 2007. Temporal dynamics and diversity of avian malaria parasites in a single host species. J. Anim. Ecol. 76: 112–122. , , , , , &
- 1992. Host–parasite catalogue of the avian haematozoa, supplement 1 and bibliography of the avian blood-inhabiting haematozoa, supplement 2. Meml Univ. Newfoundl. Occassional Pap. Biol. 15: 1–244. &
- 2004. Terminal investment induced by immune challenge and fitness traits associated with major histocompatibility complex in the House Sparrow. Evolution 58: 2823–2830. , , , &
- 1999. Three mechanisms of host resistance to microparasites – avoidance, recovery and tolerance – show different evolutionary dynamics. J. Theor. Biol. 201: 13–23. &
- 1999. Fitness components associated with laying date in the Cliff Swallow. Condor 101: 230–245. &
- 1998. Immunocompetence and nestling survival in the house martin: ‘The tasty chick hypothesis’. Oikos 83: 175–179. , &
- 2002. Intraseasonal variation in immune defence, body mass and hematocrit in adult house martin Delichon urbica. J. Avian Biol. 33: 321–325. , , &
- 1984. Reproductive effort and terminal investment in iteroparous animals. Am. Nat. 123: 212–229.
- 2001. Parasitism. The Ecology and Evolution of Intimate Interaction. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 2002. Statistical Computing. An Introduction to Data Analysis Using S-plus. Wiley, Chichester.
- 1993. Seasonal changes in clutch size in British birds. J. Anim. Ecol. 62: 263–273. , &
- 1997. Managing time and energy. In: Behavioural Ecology, 4th edn (J.R.Krebs & N.B.Davies, eds), pp. 97–120. Blackwell Scientific, Oxford. &
- 1993. Living with parasites: prevalence of a blood parasite and its effects on survivorship in the Purple Martin. Auk 110: 109–116. &
- 2006. Are multiple infections more severe for purple martins (Progne subis) than single infections? Auk 123: 141–147. &
- 1997. Are avian hematocrits indicative of condition? American kestrel as a model. J. Wildl. Manage. 61: 1297–1306. &
- 2000. Effects of hematozoan parasites on condition and return rates of American kestrels. Auk 117: 373–380. &
- 1996. Blood parasites, health, reproductive success, and egg volume in female Great Tits Parus major. J. Avian Biol. 27: 83–87.
- 1995. Intraespecific variation in plumage coloration reflects immune response in great tit (Parus major) males. Funct. Ecol. 9: 785–789. &
- 1998. Fatal combined infection with Haemoproteus noctuae and Leucocytozoon ziemanni in juvenile snowy owls (Nyctea scandiaca). Vet. Rec. 143: 72–76. &
- 2007. Sources of variation in haematocrit in birds. Ibis 149: 535–552. , &
- 1986. Haematocrits and erythrocyte numbers for Cooper’s and Sharp-shinned Hawks. Condor 98: 95–96. , &
- 2001. The energetic grooming costs imposed by a parasitic mite (Spinturnix myoti) upon its bat host (Myotis myotis). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 2071–2075. , , &
- 2005. Malaria-filaria co-infection in mice makes malarial disease more severe unless filarial infection achieves patency. J. Infect. Dis. 191: 410–421. , , &
- 1999. BioEdit: A user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acid Symp. Ser. 41: 95–98.
- 2006. Costs of an immune challenge and terminal investment in a long-lived bird. Ecology 87: 2440–2446.
- 2005. The occurrence of haemosporidian parasites in the Fennoscandian bluethroat (Luscinia svecica) population. J. Ornithol. 146: 55–60.
- 2004. A new PCR assay for simultaneous studies of Leucocytozoon, Plasmodium and Haemoproteus from avian blood. J. Parasitol. 90: 797–802. , &
- 1998. Haematological health state indices of reproducing Great Tits: a response to brood size manipulation. Funct. Ecol. 12: 750–756. , &
- 1998. Parasites, morphology, and blood characters in male red jungle fowl during development. Condor 100: 749–752. &
- 1993. Increased detrimental effects of ectoparasites on their bird hosts during adverse environmental conditions. Oecologia 95: 234–240. , , &
- 2005. Malarial parasites decrease reproductive success: an experimental study in a passerine bird. Oecologia 142: 541–545. , , &
- 2007. Fitness costs of an immune response in the house martin (Delichon urbica). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 61: 1573–1580. , , &
- 1999. S-plus 2000 Guide to Statistics. Data Analysis Products Division, Seattle, WA.
- 1989. Generalized Linear Models. Chapman & Hall, London. &
- 2000. Are avian blood parasites pathogenic in the wild? A medication experiment in blue tits (Parus caeruleus). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 2507–2510. , , &
- 2001. Physiological and haematological consequences of a novel parasite on the red-rumped swallow Hirundo daurica. Int. J. Parasitol. 31: 1187–1193. , , , , &
- 1981. A cost of increased early reproductive effort in the snail Biomphalaria glabrata. Am. Nat. 118: 876–881. &
- 1991. Parasite load reduces song output in a passerine bird. Anim. Behav. 41: 723–730.
- 2007. Malaria and risk of predation: a comparative study of birds. Ecology 88: 871–881. &
- 1998. Condition, disease and immune defence. Oikos 83: 301–306. , , &
- 2002. Parasites and the Behavior of Animals. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1999. Maternal energy expenditure does not change with flight costs or food availability for nestlings. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 46: 244–251. , , , &
- 1998. Evolution of virulence: a unified framework for coinfection and superinfection. J. Theor. Biol. 195: 293–313. &
- 2004. Predation risk, host immune response and parasitism. Behav. Ecol. 15: 629–635. , , &
- 1976. Parasitology. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, PA. &
- 1998. Health impact of blood parasites in breeding great tits. Oecologia 116: 441–448. &
- 2005. Occurrence of avian haematozoa an Ekaterinburg and Ircutsk districts of Russia. Ekologija 4: 8–12. , , , , &
- 2005. Diagnosing genetically diverse avian malaria infections using mixed-sequence analysis and TA-cloning. Parasitology 131: 1–9. &
- 1999. Environmental and genetic variation in the haematocrit of fledgling pied flycatchers. Oecologia 120: 1–8. , , , &
- 1980. Evolutionary Biology of Parasites. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2001. The ecology of genetically diverse infections. Science 292: 1099–1102. &
- 1993. Effect of ectoparasites on reproduction in great tits. J. Anim. Ecol. 62: 703–710. , &
- 2005. Community relationships of avian malaria parasites in southern Missouri. Ecol. Monogr. 75: 543–559. , , , , , &
- 2003. Rodent malaria parasites suffer from the presence of conspecific clones in three-clone Plasmodium chabaudi infections. Parasitology 127: 411–418. , , &
- 1997. Immunocompetence, ornamentation, and viability of male barn swallows (Hirundo rustica). Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 94: 549–552. , &
- 2002. Molecular Cloning, A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York. , &
- 2003. Costs of immune defense: an enigma wrapped in an environmental cloak? Trends Parasitol. 19: 571–574. &
- 2004. Life-history plasticity in hosts exposed to differing resources and parasitism. Can. J. Zool. 82: 1672–1677. &
- 2001. Interactions between hemoparasite status and female age in the primary reproductive output of Pied Flycatchers. Oecologia 126: 339–344. , , &
- 2003. Seasonal prevalence of a haematozoan parasite of redbellied woodpeckers (Melenerpes carolinus) and its association with host condition and overwinter survival. Auk 120: 130–137. , , &
- 1996. Could the blood parasite Leucocytozoon deter Mallard range expansion? J. Wildl. Manage. 60: 569–580. , &
- 2005. Between-population differences in nestling size and hematocrit level in blue tits (Parus caeruleus): a cross-fostering test for genetic and environmental effects. Can. J. Zool. 83: 694–701. , , , , &
- 1997. Comparative evidence for a positive correlation between haematozoan prevalence and mortality in waterfowl. J. Evol. Biol. 10: 731–741. &
- 1998. Virulence of mixed-clone and single-clone infections of the rodent malaria Plasmodium chabaudi. Evolution 52: 583–591. , &
- 2002. Theileria annulata: virulence and transmission from single and mixed clone infections in cattle. Exp. Parasitol. 100: 186–195. , &
- 2005. Coming to Grips with Malaria in the New Millennium. Earthscan, London. &
- 2002. The evolutionary transition to coloniality promotes higher blood parasitism in birds. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 32–41.
- 2007. Impact of blood parasites on immunoglobulin level and parental effort: a medication field experiment on a wild passerine. Funct. Ecol. 21: 125–133. , , , &
- 2005. Parasite pressure and its effects on blood parameters in a stable and dense population of endangered lesser grey shrike. Biodivers. Conserv. 15: 2187–2195. , &
- 2005. Avian Malaria Parasites and Other Haemosporida. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2003. High prevalence of blood parasites in hawfinch Coccothraustes coccothraustes. J. Nat. Hist. 37: 2647–2652. , &
- 2006. Effect of Haemoproteus belopolskyi (Haemosporida: Haemoproteidae) on body mass of the blackcap Sylvia atricapilla. J. Parasitol. 92: 1123–1125. , , &
- 1986. The epizootiology and ecological significance of malaria in Hawaiian land birds. Ecol. Monogr. 56: 327–344. , , &
- 2006. Senescent birds redouble reproductive effort when ill: confirmation of the terminal investment hypothesis. Proc. R. Soc. B 273: 1443–1448. , &
- 2004. A new nested polymerase chain reaction method very efficient in detecting Plasmodium and Haemoproteus infections from avian blood. J. Parasitol. 90: 191–194. , , &
- 1992. Ecology of parasitism of brown-headed cowbirds by haematozoa. Can. J. Zool. 70: 1–7. &
- 1966. Natural selection, the costs of reproduction, and a refinement of Lack’s principle. Am. Nat. 100: 687–690.