Adaptation to the most abundant host genotype in an agricultural plant–pathogen system – potato late blight
Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 5, pages 1397–1407, September 2008
How to Cite
MONTARRY, J., GLAIS, I., CORBIERE, R. and ANDRIVON, D. (2008), Adaptation to the most abundant host genotype in an agricultural plant–pathogen system – potato late blight. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 1397–1407. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01557.x
- Issue online: 12 AUG 2008
- Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2008
- Received 12 November 2007; revised 28 April 2008; accepted 05 May 2008
- 1994. Races of Phytophthora infestans in France, 1991–1993. Potato Res. 37: 279–286.
- 2003. Development of natural late blight epidemics in pure and mixed plots of potato cultivars with different levels of partial resistance. Plant Pathol. 52: 586–594. , &
- 2007. Adaptation of Phytophthora infestans to partial resistance in potato: evidence from French and Moroccan populations. Phytopathology 97: 338–343. , , , , , , &
- 1964. Emergence of potato blight, 1843–46. Nature 203: 805–808.
- 1994. Chance and selection in the evolution of barley mildew. Trends Microbiol. 2: 470–475.
- 2000. Coevolution at multiple spatial scales: Linum marginale–Melampsora lini; from the individual to the species. Evol. Ecol. 14: 261–281. &
- 1987. The occurrence, characteristics and distribution in the United Kingdom of resistance to phenylamide fungicides in Bremia lactucae (lettuce downy mildew). Plant Pathol. 36: 297–315. , &
- 1996. Ecological genetic interactions between a clonal host plant (Spartina pectinata) and associated rust fungi (Puccinia seymouriana and Puccinia sparganioides). Oecologia 105: 205–213. , &
- 1997. Aggressiveness and other factors relating to displacement of population of Phytophthora infestans in England and Wales. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 103: 379–391. &
- 1999. Host and parasite population structure in a natural plant–pathogen system. Heredity 82: 300–308. , &
- 1996. Sympatric and allopatric combinations of hen fleas and great tits: a test of local adaptation hypothesis. J. Evol. Biol. 9: 505–510.
- 1996. Sex against virulence: the coevolution of parasitic diseases. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11: 79–82. &
- 1995. Using genetic markers to investigate natural selection in fungal populations. Can. J. Bot. 73: S302–S310. &
- 1999. Foliar aggressiveness of Phytophthora infestans in three potato growing regions in the Netherlands. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 105: 381–388. &
- 2007. Genetic structure and pathogenicity of populations of Phytophthora infestans from organic potato crops in France, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. Plant Pathol. 56: 562–572. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Local adaptation and the geometry of host–parasite coevolution. Ecol. Lett. 5: 246–256.
- 2002. Local adaptation, evolutionary potential and host–parasite coevolution: interactions between migration, mutation, population size and generation time. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 451–462. &
- 1998. Local adaptation and host–parasite interactions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 214–216. &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. B 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 1998. Differential adaptation in spatially heterogeneous environments and host–parasite coevolution. In: Genetic Structure and Local Adaptation in Natural Insect Populations (S.Mopper & S.Strauss, eds), pp. 325–340. Chapman and Hall, London. , , &
- 2001. The effects of host diversity and other management components on epidemics of potato late blight in the humid highland tropics. Phytopathology 91: 993–1000. , , , , &
- 2007. A synthesis of experimental work on parasite local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 10: 418–434. &
- 1987. The concept and measurement of phenotypic diversity in Puccinia graminis on wheat. Phytopathology 77: 1395–1399. &
- 1990. Sexual reproduction as an adaptation to resist parasites. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 87: 3566–3573. , &
- 1999. Metapopulation Ecology. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1992. Effects of the aerial environment on late blight of potato foliage – a review. Plant Pathol. 41: 384–416.
- 1970. A test for comparing diversities based on the Shannon formula. J. Theor. Biol. 29: 151–154.
- 1995. Effects of disease in wild populations and the evolution of pathogen aggressiveness. New Phytol. 129: 371–387. &
- 1962. Intraracial variation in Phytophthora infestans and field resistance to potato blight. Genetica 32: 323–338. , &
- 1963. Changes induced by training in Phytophthora infestans. Heredity 18: 245–264. &
- 1998. Local adaptation in host–parasite systems. Heredity 81: 361–370. &
- 2002. The experimental evolution of specialists, generalists, and the maintenance of diversity. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 173–190.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1225–1241. &
- 2002. Dispersal: risk spreading versus local adaptation. Am. Nat. 159: 579–596.
- 2002. Phenotypic and genotypic structure of Phytophthora infestans populations on potato and tomato in France and Switzerland. Plant Pathol. 51: 641–653. &
- 1992. Parasites and sex: catching the Red Queen. Trends Ecol. Evol. 7: 405–408.
- 2002. Host range and local parasite adaptation. Proc. R. Soc. B 269: 703–710. &
- 1998. Evolution of Phytophthora infestans populations in the two most important potato production areas in France during 1992–1996. Plant Pathol. 47: 427–439. , &
- 2006. Novel microsatellite markers for the analysis of Phytophthora infestans populations. Plant Pathol. 55: 311–319. , , , , &
- 1996. Host–parasite coevolution and sex. Bioscience 46: 107–114.
- 2002. Pathogen population genetics, evolutionary potential, and durable resistance. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 40: 349–379. &
- 2006. Does selection by resistant host trigger local adaptation in plant–pathogen systems? J. Evol. Biol. 19: 522–531. , , , &
- 1979. Mathematical model for studying genetic variation in terms of restriction endonucleases. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 76: 5269–5273. &
- 1989. Disease impact and local genetic diversity in the clonal plant Podophyllum peltatum. Evolution 45: 1209–1217.
- 2006. Protection of susceptible potato cultivars against late blight in mixtures increases with decreasing inoculum pressure. Phytopathology 96: 777–783. , , &
- 1999. The concept of virulence: interpretations and implications. Parasitol. Today 15: 474–475. &
- 1976. Winter survival of field isolates of Phytophthora infestans in seed tubers and development of primarily infected plants. Ann. Appl. Biol. 84: 273–274.
- 1985. Occurrence of the rare A2 mating type of Phytophthora infestans on imported Egyptian potatoes and the production of sexual progeny with A1 mating types from the UK. Plant Pathol. 34: 552–556. , , &
- 1969. Equability indices: dependence on the species count. Ecology 50: 466–467.
- 1993. Variation in pathogenicity among single-oospore isolates of Sclerospora graminicola, the causal organism of downy mildew in pearl millet. Plant Pathol. 42: 715–721. &
- 1997. Host–pathogen dynamics in a metapopulation context: the ecological and evolutionary consequences of being spatial. J. Ecol. 85: 743–753. &
- 2002. Local adaptation in the Linum marginale–Melampsora lini host–pathogen interaction. Evolution 56: 1340–1351. , &
- 1987. Cytophotometric determination of the nuclear DNA content of 23 Mexican and 18 non-Mexican isolates of Phytophthora infestans. Exp. Mycol. 11: 19–26. &
- 1963. Plant Diseases: Epidemics and Control. Academic Press, New York.
- 2000. Inoculum sources and genotypic diversity of Phytophthora infestans in Southern Flevoland, the Netherlands. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 106: 667–680. , &