Sperm competition within a dominance hierarchy: investment in social status vs. investment in ejaculates
Article first published online: 8 JUL 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 5, pages 1290–1296, September 2008
How to Cite
TAMARA MONTROSE, V., Edwin Harris, W., MOORE, A. J. and MOORE, P. J. (2008), Sperm competition within a dominance hierarchy: investment in social status vs. investment in ejaculates. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 1290–1296. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01570.x
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 8 JUL 2008
- Received 13 Mar 2008; revised 19 May 2008; accepted 23 May 2008
- 2000. Allocation to mate guarding or increased sperm production in a Mediterranean wrasse. Am. Nat. 156: 266–275. &
- 2006. Sexual selection and mate choice. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21: 206–302. &
- 1978. Informational analysis of agonistic behaviour and dominance hierarchy formation in a cockroach, Nauphoeta cinerea. Behaviour 67: 217–235. &
- 1997. Sexual conflict and the evolution of mating systems. In: The Evolution of Mating Systems in Insects and Arachnids (J.C.Choe & B.J.Crespi, eds), pp. 352–378. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , &
- 1871. The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex. John Murray, London.
- 1970. Social dominance and Darwinian fitness in the laboratory mouse. Am. Nat. 104: 408–411. &
- 1982. Ejaculate cost and male choice. Am. Nat. 119: 601–610.
- 1972. Hierarchy and its relation to territory in the cockroach Nauphoeta cinerea. Behaviour 42: 152–173.
- 1973. Territoriality and the influence of females on spacing of males in the cockroach Nauphoeta cinerea. Behaviour 45: 281–304.
- 1973. Correlates of subordinate behaviour in the cockroach, Nauphoeta cinerea. Anim. Behav. 21: 571–578. &
- 2001. Family values: group dynamics and social control of reproduction in African mole-rats. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 184–190. &
- 2006. Male reproductive suppression in the cooperatively breeding fish Neolamprologus pulcher. Behav. Ecol. 17: 25–33. , , , &
- 1997. Stress and dominance in a social fish. J. Neuroscience 17: 6463–6469. , , &
- 2002. Sperm mobility: mechanisms of fertilizing efficiency, genetic variation and phenotypic relationship with male status in the fowl, Gallus g. domesticus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 607–612. , , , &
- 2001. Tactic-specific success in sperm competition. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 1105–1112. , &
- 1995. Effects of alternative male mating strategies on characteristics of sperm production in the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): theoretical and empirical investigations. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 350: 391–399. , &
- 2002. A state-based model of sperm allocation in a group-breeding salamander. Behav. Ecol. 13: 705–712. &
- 2005a. Sperm competition and male ejaculate strategy: effects of social environment during development. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 474–480. &
- 2005b. Female mate preference and sexual conflict: females prefer males that have had fewer consorts. Am. Nat. 165: S64–S71. &
- 1999. Social status regulates growth rate: consequences for life-history strategies. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96: 14171–14176. , &
- 1999. Lowered sperm motility in subordinate social status of mice. Physiol. Behav. 65: 665–669. &
- 2004. Sexual conflict and cooperation under naturally occurring male enforced monogamy. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 443–452. , &
- 1990. The inheritance of social dominance, mating behaviour, and attractiveness to mates in Nauphoeta cinerea. Anim. Behav. 39: 388–397.
- 1997. The evolution of social signals: morphological, functional and genetic integration of the sex pheromone in Nauphoeta cinerea. Evolution 51: 1920–1928.
- 1999. Balancing sexual selection through opposing mate choice and male competition. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 711–716. &
- 1995. Conditional signalling strategies: effects of ontogeny, social experience and social status on the pheromonal signal of male cockroaches. Anim. Behav. 50: 191–202. , &
- 1997. Odour conveys status on cockroaches. Nature 389: 25. , , &
- 2001. Sexual conflict and the evolution of female mate choice and male social dominance. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 517–523. , , &
- 2002. The evolution of interacting phenotypes: genetics and evolution of social dominance. Am. Nat. 160: S186–S197. , , &
- 2004. Constraints on evolution and post-copulatory sexual selection: trade-offs among ejaculate characteristics. Evolution 58: 1773–1780. , , , &
- 2003. Sperm investment and alternative mating tactics in bluegill sunfish (Lepomis macrochirus). Behav. Ecol. 14: 634–641. , &
- 1990a. Sperm competition games: raffles and roles. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 242: 120–126.
- 1990b. Sperm competition games: sneaks and extra-pair copulations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 242: 127–133.
- 1998. Sperm competition and the evolution of ejaculates: towards a theory base. In: Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection (T.R.Birkhead & A.P.Møller, eds), pp. 3–54. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2002. Postcopulatory sexual selection. Nat. Rev. Genet. 3: 265–273. &
- 2007. Social competitiveness associated with rapid fluctuations in sperm quality in male fowl. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 274: 853–860. , &
- 2001. Dominant rams lose out by sperm depletion. Nature 409: 681–682. , , &
- 1964. Control of reproduction in female cockroaches with special reference to Nauphoeta cinerea. I. First pre-oviposition period. J. Insect Physiol. 10: 915–945.
- 2006. Rapid adjustments of sperm characteristics in relation to social status. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 325–332. , , , &
- 1983. Determinants of dominant-subordinate interactions in males of the cockroach Nauphoeta cinerea. Biol. Behav. 8: 117–139. &
- 2003. Increased sperm allocation delays body growth in a protandrous simultaneous hermaphrodite. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. Lond. 78: 149–154. &
- 2003. Mating Systems and Strategies. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA. &
- 2005. Sperm in competition: not playing by the numbers. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20: 46–53.
- 2000. Effects of stress on reproduction in non-rodent mammals: the role of glucocorticoids and sex differences. Rev. Reprod. 5: 105–113. , &
- 1992. Production of sperm reduces nematode life-span. Nature 360: 456–458.