Natural selection drives patterns of lake–stream divergence in stickleback foraging morphology
Article first published online: 7 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 6, pages 1653–1665, November 2008
How to Cite
BERNER, D., ADAMS, D. C., GRANDCHAMP, A.-C. and HENDRY, A. P. (2008), Natural selection drives patterns of lake–stream divergence in stickleback foraging morphology. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 1653–1665. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01583.x
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 7 AUG 2008
- Received 17 February 2008; revised 30 June 2008; accepted 1 July 2008
- 2007. Analysis of character divergence along environmental gradients and other covariates. Evolution 61: 510–515. &
- 2004. Genetics of lateral plate and gillraker phenotypes in a rapidly evolving population of threespine stickleback. Behaviour 141: 1465–1483. , &
- 2008. The genetics of adaptive shape shift in stickleback: pleiotropy and effect size. Evolution 62: 76–85. , , , , , , , &
- 1992. Constraints on phenotypic evolution. Am. Nat. 140: S85–S107.
- 2001. The adaptive landscape as a conceptual bridge between micro- and macroevolution. Genetica 112–113: 9–32. , &
- 2000. The evolution of sexual dimorphism in the house finch. I. Population divergence in morphological covariance structure. Evolution 54: 1784–1794. &
- 2004. From micro- to macroevolution through quantitative genetic variation: positive evidence from field crickets. Evolution 58: 2287–2304. &
- 2004. The effect of temperature and wing morphology on quantitative genetic variation in the cricket Gryllus firmus, with an appendix examining the statistical properties of the Jackknife-manova method of matrix comparison. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 1255–1267. , &
- 1984. Ecology and evolution of sympatric sticklebacks (Gasterosteus): specialization for alternative trophic niches in the Enos Lake species pair. Can. J. Zool. 62: 2280–2286. &
- 2006. Grasshopper ontogeny in relation to time constraints: adaptive divergence and stasis. J. Anim. Ecol. 75: 130–139. &
- 1996. The importance of evolutionary constraints in ecological time scales. Evol. Ecol. 10: 423–431.
- 2004. Fish functional design and swimming performance. J. Fish Biol. 65: 1193–1222.
- 2004. Can intraspecific competition drive disruptive selection? An experimental test in natural populations of sticklebacks Evolution 58: 608–618.
- 2008. Evidence for asymmetric migration load in a pair of ecologically divergent lacustrine stickleback populations. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 94: 273–287. , &
- 1985. Morphometrics in evolutionary biology. Acad. Nat. Sci. Phila. Spec. Publ. 15: 1–277. , , , , &
- 2006. Exploring evolutionary constraints is a task for an integrative evolutionary biology. Am. Nat. 168: S4–S13. &
- 1998. Morphometrics of trophic osteology in the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Copeia 1998: 827–838. &
- 1988. A comparison of genetic and phenotypic correlations. Evolution 42: 958–968.
- 2002. History and isostatic effects of the last ice sheet in southern British Columbia. Quatern. Sci. Rev. 21: 71–87. &
- 2007. Analysis of two-state multivariate phenotypic change in ecological studies. Ecology 88: 683–692. &
- 1996. The effect of behavioural and morphological plasticity on foraging efficiency in the threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus sp.). Oecologia 108: 380–388. &
- 1994. Ecology and genetics of phenotypic plasticity: a comparison of two sticklebacks. Evolution 48: 1723–1734. , &
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University, Princeton, NJ.
- 1994. Feeding Ecology of Fish. Academic, San Diego, CA.
- 1984. Geographic variation in the gillrakers and diet of European sticklebacks, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Copeia 1984: 87–97. &
- 1973. Inheritance of numbers of lateral plates and gill rakers in Gasterosteus aculeatus. Heredity 30: 303–312.
- 1997. Genetic divergence in adaptive characters between sympatric species of stickleback. Am. Nat. 149: 1009–1029.
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow? An evaluation using lake-stream stickleback pairs. Evolution 58: 2319–2331. &
- 2002. Adaptive divergence and the balance between selection and gene flow: lake and stream stickleback in the Misty system. Evolution 56: 1199–1216. , &
- 2002. Heritability and “evolvability” of meristic characters in a natural population of Gasterosteus aculeatus. Can. J. Zool. 80: 532–541. , , &
- 2004. Natural selection and the evolution of replicated trophic polymorphisms in pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). Evol. Ecol. Res. 6: 285–305. &
- 1963. Multivariate generalization of allometry equation. Biometrics 19: 497–499.
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain:body size allometry. Evolution 33: 402–416.
- 2004. Shared and unique features of evolutionary diversification. Am. Nat. 164: 335–349. &
- 2004. Predator-driven phenotypic diversification in Gambusia affinis. Evolution 58: 2305–2318. , , &
- 1993. Parapatric lake and stream sticklebacks on northern Vancouver Island: disjunct distribution or parallel evolution? Can. J. Zool. 71: 11–17. &
- 1998. Contingency and determinism in replicated adaptive radiations of island lizards. Science 279: 2115–2118. , , , &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. &
- 2007. Randomization, Bootstrap and Monte Carlo Methods in Biology, 3rd edn. Chapman & Hall, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2006. Studying phenotypic evolution using multivariate quantitative genetics. Mol. Ecol. 15: 883–896.
- 2003. Adaptation of rainbow fish to lake and stream habitats. Evolution 57: 104–118. , , &
- 2005. Phenotypic divergence along lines of genetic variance. Am. Nat. 165: 32–43. , &
- 2004. Evidence for ecology’s role in speciation. Nature 429: 294–298. , , , , , , &
- 1995. Morphological evolution mediated by behavior in the damselflies of two communities. Evolution 49: 749–769.
- 1999. Population divergence and morphometric integration in the greenfinch (Carduelis chloris) – evolution against the trajectory of least resistance? J. Evol. Biol. 12: 103–112. &
- 2007. Quantifying the constraining influence of gene flow on adaptive divergence in the lake-stream threespine stickleback system. Evolution 61: 2015–2026. , , &
- 2006. Parallel evolution of ecomorphological traits in the European whitefish Coregonus lavaretus (L.) species complex during postglacial times. Mol. Ecol. 15: 3983–4001. , , , , , , &
- 2001. The genetic architecture of divergence between threespine stickleback species. Nature 414: 901–905. , , , , , , &
- 1989. Fresh-water Invertebrates of the United States, 3rd edn. Wiley, New York.
- R Development Core Team 2006. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1985. Multivariate differentiation of parapatric and allopatric populations of threespine stickleback in the Sangan River watershed, Queen Charlotte Islands. Can. J. Zool. 63: 2944–2951. , &
- 2000. Trade offs in habitat-specific foraging efficiency and the nascent adaptive divergence of sticklebacks in lakes. Behaviour 137: 865–888.
- 1994. Character release and displacement in fishes – a neglected literature. Am. Nat. 144: 596–627. &
- 1995. The estimation of genetic correlations from phenotypic correlations – a test of Cheverud’s conjecture. Heredity 74: 481–490.
- 1996. The evolution of genetic correlations: an analysis of patterns. Evolution 50: 1392–1403.
- 2000. The evolution of the G matrix: selection of drift? Heredity 84: 135–142.
- 2002. Comparing G matrices: a manova approach. Evolution 56: 1286–1291.
- 1999. Variation in genetic architecture of calling song among populations of Allonemobius socius, A. fasciatus, and a hybrid population: drift or selection? Evolution 53: 216–224. , &
- 2000. Natural selection and parallel speciation in sympatric sticklebacks. Science 287: 306–308. , , &
- 1993. Adaptive radiation in sticklebacks: size, shape, and habitat use efficiency. Ecology 74: 699–709.
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution 50: 1766–1774.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University, Oxford.
- 1992. Ecological character displacement and speciation in sticklebacks. Am. Nat. 140: 85–108. &
- 2004. Parallel evolution and inheritance of quantitative traits. Am. Nat. 163: 809–822. , , &
- 1995. Changes in genetic variances and covariances: G whiz! Evolution 49: 1260–1267. , , &
- 1995. Resource polymorphism in vertebrates. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10: 366–370. &
- 2002. Comparative quantitative genetics: evolution of the G matrix. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 320–327. , &
- 2007. Intraspecific competition drives increased resource use diversity within a natural population. Proc. R. Soc. B 274: 839–844. &
- 1997. Parallel evolution of lake-stream pairs of threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus) inferred from mitochondrial DNA variation. Evolution 51: 1955–1965. , &
- 2001) Ecology and Classification of North American Freshwater Invertebrates. Academic, San Diego, CA. & (eds) (
- 1997. Ecological morphology of lacustrine threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus L. (Gasterosteidae) body shape. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 61: 3–50.
- 1984. Body form, locomotion and foraging in aquatic vertebrates. Am. Zool. 24: 107–120.