The stimulation of immune defence accelerates development in the red flour beetle (Tribolium castaneum)
Article first published online: 18 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 6, pages 1703–1710, November 2008
How to Cite
ROTH, O. and KURTZ, J. (2008), The stimulation of immune defence accelerates development in the red flour beetle (Tribolium castaneum). Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 1703–1710. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01584.x
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 18 AUG 2008
- Received 17 March 2008; revised 25 June 2008; accepted 28 June 2008
- 1999. Effect of Bacillus thuringiensis on feeding and energy use by Plodia interpunctella (Lepidoptera : Pyralidae) and Tribolium castaneum (Coleoptera : Tenebrionidae). Can. Entomol. 131: 433–440. , , &
- 1999. Age and size at maturity of the mosquito Culex pipiens infected by the microsporidian parasite Vavraia culicis. Proc. R. Soc. London Ser. B 266: 947–952. , , &
- 2000. Effects of density and larval competition on selected life history traits of Culex pipiens quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 37: 732–735. , &
- 2006. Ecology: From Individuals to Communities. Blackwell, Oxford. , &
- 1981. Life-history significance of size-triggered metamorphosis in milkweed bugs (Oncopeltus). Ecology 62: 57–64.
- 2005. Determinants of virulence for the parasite Nosema whitei in its host Tribolium castaneum. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 89: 251–257. &
- 2002. Developmental thresholds and the evolution of reaction norms for age and size at life-history transitions. Am. Nat. 159: 338–350. &
- 2004. The evolution of virulence when parasites cause host castration and gigantism. Am. Nat. 164: S19–S32. , , &
- 2003. Sensing infection in Drosophila. Semin. Immunol. 16: 43–53. , &
- 2005. Selection by parasites may increase host recombination frequency. Biol. Lett. 1: 193–195. &
- 2002. Coevolution between parasite virulence and host life-history traits. Am. Nat. 160: 374–388. , &
- 1992. Parasitism as a constraint on the rate of life-history evolution. J. Evol. Biol. 5: 491–504. , &
- 2001. A parasite that increases host lifespan. Proc. R. Soc. London Ser. B 268: 1749–1753. , &
- 2000. Experimentally activated immune defence in female pied flycatchers results in reduced breeding success. Proc. R. Soc. London Ser. B 267: 665–670. , &
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1225–1241. &
- 1998. Coevolutionary interactions between host life histories and parasite life cycles. Parasitology 116: S47–S55. , &
- 1997. Trade-off between parasitoid resistance and larval competitive ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature 389: 278–280. &
- 1994. Metamorphic responses to changing food levels in 2 species of hylid frogs. Ecology 73: 1345–1356. &
- 1997. Drosophila host defense: differential induction of antimicrobial peptide genes after infection by various classes of microorganisms. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94: 14614–14619. , &
- 1998. The transition to flowering. Plant Cell 10: 1973–1989. &
- 1965. Selection for colonizing ability. In: The Genetics of Colonizing Species (H.G., Baker & G. L.Stebbins, eds), pp. 79–91. Academic Press, New York, USA.
- 2005. Genetic linkage maps of the red hour beetle, Tribolium castaneum, based on bacterial artificial chromosomes and expressed sequence tags. Genetics 170: 741–747. , , , , , , , &
- 1967. The Theory of Island Biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA (2001 reprint). &
- 1994. Parasitic effects on host life-history traits – a review of recent studies. Parasite 1: 291–294. &
- 2001. Drosophila Toll is activated by Gram-positive bacteria through a circulating peptidoglycan recognition protein. Nature 414: 756–759. , , &
- 1985. Host life-history variation in response to parasitism. Parasitology 90: 205–216.
- 1981. A cost of increased early reproductive effort in the snail Biomphalaria glabrata. Am. Nat. 118: 876–881. &
- 1980. Ecology and evolution of the pitcher-plant mosquito. J. Anim. Ecol. 49: 775–792. &
- 2000. Survival for immunity: the price of immune system activation for bumblebee workers. Science 290: 1166–1168. &
- 2004. Social life-history response to individual immune challenge of workers of Bombus terrestris L.: a possible new cooperative phenomenon. Ecol. Lett. 7: 146–152. &
- 2002. Grain loss caused by Tribolium castaneum, Sitophilus oryzae and Acanthoscelides obtectus in stored durum wheat and beans treated with Beauveria bassiana. J. Stored Prod. Res. 38: 69–74. , &
- 1965. Studies on host-parasite relationship between Schistosoma mansoni and snail Australorbis glabratus. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 14: 931.
- 1948. Experimental studies of interspecies competition. 1. Competition between populations of the flour beetles,Tribolium confusum Duval and Tribolium castaneum Herbst. Ecol. Monogr. 18: 265–307.
- 2007. Inference of parasite local adaptation using two different fitness components. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 921–929. &
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Theory and Analysis. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2003. Invertebrate ecological immunology. Science 301: 472–475. &
- 2008. Male-biased sex-ratio distortion caused by Octosporea bayeri, a vertically and horizontally-transmitted parasite of Daphnia magna. Int. J. Parasitol. 38: 969–979. , , , &
- 2007. Phenotypic plasticity and optimal timing of metamorphosis under uncertain time constraints. Evol. Ecol. 21: 121–142. &
- 2006. Modulation of sexual signalling by immune challenged male mealworm beetles (Tenebrio molitor, L.): evidence for terminal investment and dishonesty. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 321–325. , , , , &
- 2005. Closing the gap: Comparative approaches to studying insect development in the red flour beetle Tribolium castaneum and other short and intermediate germ insects. Curr. Genomics 6: 571–578. &
- 1998. Decreased immune response as a proximate cost of copulation and oviposition in a damselfly. Physiol. Entomol. 23: 274–277. , &
- 1974. The Biology of Tribolium with Special Emphasis on Genetic Aspects. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1991. Potential of microsporidia for the biological control of mosquitoes. Parasitol. Today 7: 217–220. &
- 2004. Coagulation in arthropods: defence, wound closure and healing. Trends in Immunology 25: 289–294. , , &
- 1984. Anuran size at metamorphosis at metamorphosis: experimental test of a model based on intraspecific competition. Ecology 64: 1155–1160.
- 1973. Ecological aspects of amphibian metamorphosis. Science 182: 1305–1314. &
- 2002. Immune defense and host life history. Am. Nat. 160: S9–S22. &