The oxidation handicap hypothesis and the carotenoid allocation trade-off
Article first published online: 18 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 6, pages 1789–1797, November 2008
How to Cite
ALONSO-ALVAREZ, C., PÉREZ-RODRÍGUEZ, L., MATEO, R., CHASTEL, O. and VIÑUELA, J. (2008), The oxidation handicap hypothesis and the carotenoid allocation trade-off. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 1789–1797. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01591.x
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 18 AUG 2008
- Received 6 February 2008; revised 13 June 2008; accepted 13 June 2008
- 2007. Testosterone and oxidative stress: the oxidation handicap hypothesis. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 274: 819–825. , , , &
- 1985. Lipid peroxidation. In: Handbook of Methods for Oxygen Radical Research (R.A.Greenwald, ed.), pp. 203–207. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- 2005. Estrogen A-ring structure and antioxidative effect on lipoproteins. J. Steroid Biochem. 96: 271–278. , , &
- 2006. Testosterone increases bioavailability of carotenoids: insights into the honesty of sexual signalling. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA. 103: 18633–18637. , , , &
- 1993. Mate choice and reproductive success in the red-legged partridge (Alectoris rufa). Horm. Behav. 27: 308–317. , , &
- 2001. Testosterone influences basal metabolic rate in male house sparrows: a new cost of dominance signalling? Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 1337–1344. , , , &
- 2004. Oxidative stress, toxicology, and pharmacology of CYP2E1. Annu. Rev. Pharmacol. 44: 27–42. &
- 2003. Pre-breeding energy requirements: thyroid hormone, metabolism and the timing of reproduction in house sparrows Passer domesticus. J. Avian Biol. 34: 298–306. , &
- 2004. Carotenoid action on the immune response. J. Nutr. 134: 257S–261S. &
- 2008 Carotenoids are minor antioxidants for birds. Funct. Ecol. 22: 367–370 &
- 2003. Immune activation rapidly mirrored in a secondary sexual trait. Science 300: 29–31. , , , &
- 2000. Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of ageing. Nature 408: 239–247. &
- 1984. Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA. &
- 1992. Parasites, bright males and the immunocompetence handicap. Am. Nat. 139: 603–622. &
- 1980. Determination of glutathione and glutathione disulfide using glutathione reductase and 2-vinilpiridine. Anal. Biochem. 106: 207–212.
- 2004. Are carotenoids a red herring in sexual display? Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 353–354. &
- 2007. Regulation of male traits by testosterone: implications for the evolution of vertebrate life histories. BioEssays 29: 133–144.
- 2007. Do dietary carotenoids alleviate the cost of immune activation? An experiment with greenfinches Am. Nat. 170: 625–635. , , , &
- 2001. Inhibition of melanogenesis in response to oxidative stress: transient downregulation of melanocyte differentiation markers and possible involvement of microphthalmia transcription factor. J. Cell Sci. 114: 2335–2344. , , , , &
- 2007. An experimental test of the immunocompetence handicap hypothesis in a teleost fish: 11-ketotestosterone suppresses innate immunity in three-spined sticklebacks. Am. Nat. 170: 509–519. , , , , &
- 1987. Unrepeatable repeatabilities: a common mistake. Auk 104: 116–121. &
- 2000. Maternally derived yolk testosterone enhances the development of the hatching muscle in the red-winged blackbird Agelaius phoeniceus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 2005–2010. &
- 2005. Erythrocyte susceptibility to oxidative stress in chronic renal failure patients under different substitutive treatments. Artif. Organs 29: 67–72. , , , , , , , &
- 2003. Animal Signals. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 2006. Sex steroid dependence of carotenoid-based colouration in female zebra finches. Physiol. Behav. 88: 347–352.
- 2006. Testosterone upregulates lipoprotein status to control sexual attractiveness in a colourful songbird. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 60: 117–122. , &
- 1993. A novel method for measuring antioxidant capacity and its application to monitoring the antioxidant status in premature neonates. Clin. Sci. 84: 407–412. , , , &
- 2004. The effects of combined aromatase inhibitor and anti-androgen on male territorial aggression in a tropical population of rufous-collared sparrows, Zonotrichia capensis. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 135: 223–229. , &
- 2007. Parasites, testosterone and honest carotenoid-based signalling of health. Funct. Ecol. 21: 886–898. , , , &
- 2004. Androgens and the immunocompetence handicap hypothesis: unraveling direct and indirect pathways of immunosuppression in song sparrows. Am. Nat. 164: 490–505. , &
- 2006. Carotenoids as modulators of intracellular signaling pathways. Curr. Signal Transduct. Ther. 1: 325–335. , &
- 2008. Carotenoid-based ornamentation as a dynamic but consistent individual trait. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 62: 995–1005.
- 2008. Carotenoid-based bill and eye ring coloration as honest signals of condition: an experimental test in the red-legged partridge (Alectoris rufa). Naturwissenschaften.doi: DOI: 10.1007/s00114-008-0389-5. &
- 2007. Testosterone and carotenoids: an integrated view of trade-offs between immunity and sexual signalling. BioEssays 29: 427–430.
- 1998. Adaptation to oxidative stress: effects of vinclozolin and iprodione on the HepG2 cell line. Toxicology 129: 183–191. , , , &
- 2004. Testing the immunocompetence handicap hypothesis: a review of the evidence. Anim. Behav. 68: 227–239. , &
- SAS Institute. 2001. sas/stat Software: Changes and Enhancements, Version 8.2. SAS Publishing, Cary, NC.
- 1999. Good genes oxidative stress and condition-dependent sexual signals. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 1–12. , , , &
- 1991. Territorial aggression and song of male European robins (Erithacus rubecula) in autumn and spring: effects of antiandrogen treatment. Horm. Behav. 25: 180–194. &
- 2007 Color signals in the black grouse (Tetrao tetrix): signal properties and their condition dependency. Am. Nat. 169, S81–S92, Suppl. , , , &
- 1983. Studies on glutathione metabolism in ventral prostate and chemically induced prostatic carcinoma in rats. Biosci. Rep. 3: 241–253. &
- 2006a. Pigment-based skin colour in the blue-footed booby: an honest signal of current condition used by females to adjust reproductive investment. Oecologia 149: 543–552. , &
- 2006b. Senescent birds redouble reproductive effort when ill: confirmation of the terminal investment hypothesis. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 1443–1448. , &
- 2001. Display in monogamous pairs: a review of empirical data and evolutionary explanations. Anim. Behav. 61: 861–868.
- 1966. Natural selection, the costs of reproduction, and a refinement of Lack’s principle. Am. Nat. 100: 687–690.
- 2004. Glutathione metabolism and its implications for health. J. Nutr. 134: 489–492. , , , &
- 1975. Mate selection – a selection for a handicap. J. Theor. Biol. 53: 205–213.
- 2001. The physiology of life history trade-offs in animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 32: 95–126. &