Modifying effects of phenotypic plasticity on interactions among natural selection, adaptation and gene flow
Version of Record online: 4 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Author. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 6, pages 1460–1469, November 2008
How to Cite
CRISPO, E. (2008), Modifying effects of phenotypic plasticity on interactions among natural selection, adaptation and gene flow. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 1460–1469. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01592.x
- Issue online: 15 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 4 AUG 2008
- Received 7 May 2008; revised 30 June 2008; accepted 1 July 2008
- 2004. Incipient speciation driven by phenotypic plasticity? Evidence from sympatric populations of Arctic charr Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 81: 611–618. &
- 2002. The relative advantages of plasticity and fixity in different environments: when is it good for a plant to adjust? Evol. Ecol. 16: 285–297. &
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Adv. Genet. 13: 115–155.
- 2007. Local adaptation and cogradient selection in the alpine plant, Poa hiemata, along a narrow altitudinal gradient. Evolution 61: 2925–2941. , &
- 2000. Phenotypic plasticity and the possible role of genetic assimilation: hypoxia-induced trade-offs in the morphological traits of an African cichlid. Ecol. Lett. 3: 387–393. , &
- 1995. Phenotypic similarity and the evolutionary significance of countergradient variation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10: 248–252. &
- 2007. The Baldwin effect and genetic assimilation: revisiting two mechanisms of evolutionary change mediated by phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 61: 2469–2479.
- 2008. Population genetic structure across dissolved oxygen regimes in an African cichlid fish. Mol. Ecol. 17: 2134–2148. &
- 2003. Performance comparisons of co-occurring native and alien invasive plants: implications for conservation and restoration. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 34: 183–211.
- 1994. A comparison of two sticklebacks. Evolution 48: 1723–1734. , &
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 77–81. , &
- 2000. Evidence of adaptive divergence in plasticity: density- and site-dependent selection on shade-avoidance responses in Impatiens capensis. Evolution 54: 1956–1968. , , , &
- 2005. Retained non-adaptive plasticity: gene flow or small inherent costs of plasticity? Evol. Ecol. Res. 7: 489–495. , &
- 2004. Genomic evidence for divergence with gene flow in host races of the larch budmoth. Proc. R. Soc. Lond., B, Biol. Sci. 271: 97–105. , &
- 2007. The multifarious effects of dispersal and gene flow on contemporary adaptation. Funct. Ecol. 21: 434–443. , &
- 1997. Genetic models of adaptation and gene flow in peropheral populations. Evolution 51: 21–28. &
- 2006. Phenotypic plasticity of invasive Alternanthera philoxeroides in relation to different water availability, compared to its native congener. Acta Oecol. 30: 380–385. , , , , &
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Funct. Ecol. 21: 394–407. , , &
- 2005. Environmental heterogeneity and population differentiation in plasticity to drought in Convolvulus chilensis (Convolvulaceae). Evol. Ecol. 19: 603–613. &
- 2005. Environmental change, phenotypic plasticity, and genetic compensation. Am. Nat. 166: E115–E123.
- 2007. Adaptive divergence in a high gene flow environment: Hsc70 variation in the European flounder (Platichthys flesus L.). Heredity 99: 592–600. , , &
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow? An evaluation using lake-stream stickleback pairs. Evolution 58: 2319–2331. &
- 2001. Population mixing and the adaptive divergence of quantitative traits in discrete populations: a theoretical framework for empirical tests. Evolution 55: 459–466. , &
- 2007. Life history variation in the heavy metal tolerant plant Thlaspi caerulescens growing in a network of contaminated and noncontaminated sites in southern France: role of gene flow, selection and phenotypic plasticity. New Phytol. 173: 199–215. , , , , &
- 2005. Phenotypic divergence despite high levels of gene flow in Galapagos lava lizards (Microlophus albemarlensis). Mol. Ecol. 14: 859–867. , , &
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1225–1241. &
- 1995. Color-pattern variation in Lake Erie water snakes: the role of gene flow. Evolution 49: 885–896. &
- 2007. Geographic variation in a predator-induced defense and its genetic basis. Ecology 88: 1948–1954. , &
- 2008. Divergence with gene flow between Ponto-Caspian refugia in an anadromous cyprinid Rutilus frisii revealed by multiple gene phylogeography. Mol. Ecol. 17: 1076–1088. , , , , &
- 2002. Gene flow and the limits to natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 183–189.
- 2007. The degree of adaptive phenotypic plasticity is correlated with the spatial environmental heterogeneity experienced by island populations of Rana temporaria. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 1288–1297. &
- 2007. Quantifying the constraining influence of gene flow on adaptive divergence in the lake-stream threespine stickleback system. Evolution 61: 2015–2026. , , &
- 2008. Recent divergence with gene flow in Tennessee cave salamanders (Plethodontidae: Gyrinophilus) inferred from gene genealogies. Mol. Ecol. 17: 2258–2275. , &
- 2004. Does gene flow constrain adaptive divergence or vice versa? A test using ecomorphology and sexual isolation in Timema cristinae walking-sticks. Evolution 58: 102–112. &
- 2005. Reproductive isolation caused by natural selection against immigrants from divergent environments. Evolution 59: 705–719. , &
- 2005. Selection on heritable phenotypic plasticity in a wild bird population. Science 310: 304–306. , , &
- 2007. Influence of plasticity and learning on evolution under directional selection. Am. Nat. 170: E47–E58. , &
- 2007. Selection on heritable seasonal phenotypic plasticity of body mass. Evolution 61: 1969–1979. , , , &
- 2002. How fluctuating competition and phenotypic plasticity mediate species divergence. Evolution 56: 1217–1228. &
- 2001. Phenotypic Plasticity: Beyond Nature and Nuture. John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2003. Genetic assimilation and a possible evolutionary paradox: can macroevolution sometimes be so fast as to pass us by? Evolution 57: 1455–1464. &
- 2003. The role of phenotypic plasticity in driving genetic evolution. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 270: 1433–1440. , &
- 2008. Disentangling interactions between adaptive divergence and gene flow when ecology drives diversification. Ecol. Lett. 11: 624–636. &
- 2006. Jack of all trades, master of some? On the role of phenotypic plasticity in plant invasions. Ecol. Lett. 9: 981–993. , , , &
- 2006. A comparative analysis of the adaptive developmental plasticity hypothesis in six Mediterranean anuran species along a pond permanency gradient. Evol. Ecol. Res. 8: 1139–1154. , &
- 2008. Counter-intuitive developmental plasticity induced by host quality. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 275: 879–885. , &
- 1996. The evolution of threshold traits in animals. Q. Rev. Biol. 71: 3–35.
- 1989. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity I. Heritability. J. Evol. Biol. 2: 95–107. &
- 1993. Control of phenotypic plasticity via regulatory genes. Am. Nat. 142: 366–370. &
- 1998. Phenotypic Evolution: A Reaction Norm Perspective. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA. &
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
- 2001. Ecology and the origin of species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 372–380.
- 1999. Adaptive coloration and gene flow as a constraint to local adaptation in the streamside salamander, Ambystoma barbouri. Evolution 53: 889–898. , , &
- 2002. Metapopulation structure favors plasticity over local adaptation. Am. Nat. 160: 271–283. &
- 1993a. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity: target or by-product of selection in a variable environment? Am. Nat. 142: 352–365.
- 1993b. Regulatory genes and reaction norms. Am. Nat. 142: 374–378.
- 1995. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity: consensus and controversy. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10: 212–217. , , , , &
- 1953a. The “Baldwin effect,”“genetic assimilation” and “homeostasis”. Evolution 7: 386–387.
- 1953b. Genetic assimilation of an acquired character. Evolution 7: 118–126.
- 1956. Genetic assimilation of the bithorax phenotype. Evolution 10: 1–13.
- 2003. Developmental Plasticity and Evolution. Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
- 1909. Weitere experimentelle untersüchungen über artveränderung, speziell über das wesen quantitativer artunterschiede bei daphniden. Verhandlungen de Deutschen Zooligischen Gesellschaft 19: 110–172.
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics 16: 97–159.
- 2004. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the successful colonization of a novel environment. Am. Nat. 164: 531–542. &