Host–parasite coevolution and patterns of adaptation across time and space
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 6, pages 1861–1866, November 2008
How to Cite
GANDON, S., BUCKLING, A., DECAESTECKER, E. and DAY, T. (2008), Host–parasite coevolution and patterns of adaptation across time and space. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 1861–1866. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01598.x
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2008
- Received 18 April 2008; revised 25 June 2008; accepted 1 July 2008
- 2002. Infection genetics: gene-for-gene versus matching-alleles models and all points in between. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4: 79–90. &
- 2003. Population mixing accelerates coevolution. Ecol. Lett. 6: 975–979. , , &
- 2002. Antagonistic coevolution between a bacterium and a bacteriophage. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 269: 931–936. &
- 2006. Antagonistic coevolution with parasites increases the cost of host deleterious mutations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 273: 45–49. , , , &
- 2008. Factors affecting the evolution of bleaching resistance in corals. Am. Nat. 172: E72–E88. , , &
- 2007. Host–parasite ‘Red Queen’ dynamics archived in pond sediment. Nature 450: 870–873. , , , , , &
- 1996. The geography of coevolution: comparative population structure for a snail and its trematode parasite. Evolution 50: 2264–2275. &
- 1994. Virulence and local adaptation of a horizontally transmitted parasite. Science 265: 1084–1086.
- 1998. Within- and between-population variation for resistance of Daphnia magna to the bacterial endoparasite Pasteuria ramosa. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 265: 2127–2134. , &
- 1999. Biological Control of Vertebrate Pests. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, UK. &
- 1991. Spatial variation in coevolutionary dynamics. Evol. Ecol. 5: 193–217.
- 2002. Local adaptation and the geometry of host–parasite coevolution. Ecol. Lett. 5: 246–256.
- Evolutionary epidemiology and the dynamics of adaptation. Evolution, in press. &
- 2007. The evolution of sex and recombination in response to abiotic or coevolutionary fluctuations in epistasis. Genetics 175: 1835–1853. &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 1998. No evidence for local adaptation between cytoplasmic male sterility and nuclear restorer genes in the gynodioecious species Thymus vulgaris L. Heredity 81: 156–163. , , &
- 2000. Hot spots, cold spots, and the geographic mosaic theory of coevolution. Am. Nat. 156: 156–174. , , , &
- 2007. A synthesis of experimental work on parasite local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 10: 418–434. &
- 2008. Phenotypic Mismatches Reveal Escape from Arms-Race Coevolution. PLoS Biol. 6: e60. , &
- 1998. Local adaptation in host–parasite systems. Heredity 81: 361–370. &
- 1999. Local maladaptation in the anther-smut fungus Microbotryum violaceum to its host plant Silene latifolia: evidence from a cross-inoculation experiment. Evolution 53: 395–407. , , &
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1225–1241. &
- 1983. Coevolution in bacteria and their viruses and plasmids. In: Coevolution (D.J.Futuyma & M.Slatkin, eds), pp. 99–127. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. &
- 1989. Adaptation by a parasitic trematode to local populations of its snail host. Evolution 43: 1663–1671.
- 2000. Parasite adaptation to locally common host genotypes. Nature 405: 679–681. &
- 2008. Increasing productivity accelerates host–parasite coevolution. J Evol Biol. 21: 853–860. &
- 2005. The effect of migration on local adaptation in a coevolving host–parasite system. Nature 437: 253–256. , &
- 2006. Parasite local adaptation in a geographic mosaic. Evolution 60: 24–30.
- 2007. The evolution of specificity in evolving and coevolving antagonistic interactions between bacteria and phage. Evolution 61: 1–11. , , , &
- 1996. Sexually antagonistic male adaptation triggered by experimental arrest for female evolution. Nature 381: 232–234.
- 1994. Neutralizing antibodies against hepatitis C virus and the emergence of neutralizing escape mutant viruses. J. Virol. 68: 1494–1500. , , , , &
- 2004. Mapping the antigenic and genetic evolution of influenza virus. Science 305: 371–376. , , , , , &
- 1994. The Coevolutionary Process. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2005. The Geographic Mosaic of Coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2002. Geographic structure and dynamics of coevolutionary selection. Nature 417: 735–738. &
- 2002. Biological and biomedical implications of the co-evolution of pathogens and their hosts. Nat. Genet. 32: 569–577. , , , &