The frequency of multiple paternity predicts variation in testes size among island populations of house mice
Article first published online: 22 SEP 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 21, Issue 6, pages 1524–1533, November 2008
How to Cite
FIRMAN, R. C. and SIMMONS, L. W. (2008), The frequency of multiple paternity predicts variation in testes size among island populations of house mice. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 21: 1524–1533. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01612.x
- Issue published online: 15 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 22 SEP 2008
- Received 15 June 2008; revised 17 July 2008; accepted 21 July 2008
- 1995. The occurrence of mammal species on the islands of Western Australia. CALMScience 1: 259–324. &
- 2004. Seeds of concern. Nature 432: 48–52. , &
- 2000. The evolution of polyandry: multiple mating and female fitness in insects. Anim. Behav. 60: 145–164. &
- 1999. Microsatellites indicate a high frequency of multiple paternity in Apodemus (Rodentia). Mol. Ecol. 8: 107–111. , &
- 1998. Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection. Academic Press, London. &
- 1996. Effect of male mating history and body size on ejaculate size and quality in two polyandrous butterflies, Pieris napi and Pieris rape (Lepidoptera: Pieridae). Funct. Ecol. 10: 457–464. &
- 2005. Measuring polyandry in wild populations: a case study using promiscuous crickets. Mol. Ecol. 14: 2169–2179. &
- 1997. The evolution of sperm size in birds. Evolution 51: 937–945. , &
- 1990. Promiscuity: an inbreeding avoidance mechanism in a socially monogamous species? Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 26: 191–199. , , &
- 1996. Coloniality in the Cliff Swallow: The Effect of Group Size on Social Behavior. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. &
- 2003. Testis size increases with colony size in cliff swallows. Behav. Ecol. 14: 569–575. &
- 2003. Sperm competition and the evolution of gamete morphology in frogs. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 2079–2086. , &
- 1999. Male reproductive success in a promiscuous mammal: behavioural estimates compared with genetic paternity. Mol. Ecol. 8: 1119–1209. , , , , &
- 1991. Nutrition and the immune response of the domestic fowl. Crit. Rev. Poult. Biol. 3: 167–189.
- 2007. Ejaculate traits in the Namibian cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus): influence of age, season and captivity. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 19: 370–382. , , , , &
- 2006. The frequency of multiple paternity suggests that sperm competition is common in house mice (Mus domesticus). Mol. Ecol. 15: 4141–4151. , &
- 1992. A genetic map of the mouse suitable for typing intraspecific crosses. Genetics 131: 423–447. , , , , , &
- 1996. Female Control: Sexual Selection by Cryptic Female Choice. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2008a. Polyandry facilitates post-copulatory inbreeding avoidance in house mice. Evolution 62: 603–611. &
- 2008b Polyandry, sperm competition and reproductive success in mice. Behav. Ecol. 19: 695–702. &
- 2006. Post-mating sexual selection increases lifetime fitness of polyandrous females in the wild. Nature 444: 89–92. , , , &
- 1997. Do island populations have less genetic variation than mainland populations? Heredity 78: 311–327.
- 2003. Bergmann’s rule and body size in mammals. Am. Nat. 161: 821–825. , &
- 1991. Risk of sperm competition directly affects ejaculate size in the Mediterranean fruit fly. Anim. Behav. 42: 1036–1037.
- 1994. Associations between body size, mating pattern, testis size and sperm lengths across butterflies. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 258: 247–254.
- 2003. Experimental evidence for the evolution of numerous, tiny sperm via sperm competition. Curr. Biol. 13: 754–757. &
- 2004. Spermatozoal traits and sperm competition in Atlantic salmon: relative sperm velocity is the primary determinant of fertilisation success. Curr. Biol. 14: 44–47. , , , , &
- 2006. Reduced heterozygosity depresses sperm quality in wild rabbits, Oryctolagus cuniculus. Curr. Biol. 16: 612–617. , , , , , &
- 2005a. The evolution of polyandry: intrinsic sire effects contribute to embryo viability. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 1097–1103. &
- 2005b. Sperm viability matters in insect sperm competition. Curr. Biol. 15: 271–275. &
- 2007. Shorter sperm confer higher competitive fertilisation success. Evolution 61: 816–824. &
- 1991. Sperm competition influences sperm size in mammals. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 243: 181–185. &
- 1998. Sperm competition in mammals. In: Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection (T.R.Birkhead & A.P.Møller, eds), pp. 667–751. Academic Press, London. , &
- 2000. A comparative study of ejaculate traits in three endangered ungulates with different levels of inbreeding: fluctuating asymmetry as an indicator of reproductive and genetic stress. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 875–882. , &
- 2006. Sperm competition enhances functional capacity of mammalian spermatozoa. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103: 15113–15117. , , , &
- 2000. High fidelity on islands: a comparative study of extrapair paternity in passerine birds. Behav. Ecol. 11: 265–273.
- 2002. Extra pair paternity in birds: a review of interspecific variation and adaptive function. Mol. Ecol. 11: 2195–2212. , &
- 2005. Semen characteristics and sperm morphology in the Arabian leopard (Panthera pardus nimr) and how these vary with age and season. Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 17: 675–682. &
- 1981. Testis weight, body weight and breeding system in primates. Nature 293: 55–57. , , &
- 1997. Sperm competition in bats. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264: 385–392.
- 2001. Experimental evidence for testis size evolution via sperm competition. Ecol. Lett. 4: 10–13. &
- 1980. Sexual activity of aged male mice: correlation with level of arousal, physical endurance, pathological status, and ejaculatory capacity. Biol. Reprod. 23: 305–316. , &
- 2007. By hook or by crook? Morphometry, competition and cooperation in rodent sperm PLoS One 1: e170. , , &
- 2001. gerud 1.0: a computer program for the reconstruction of parental genotypes from progeny arrays using multilocus DNA data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 1: 215–218.
- 1954. Influence of drought and rainfall on reproduction in Australian desert birds. Proc. Zool. Soc. Lond. 124: 493–499. &
- 2004. Sperm quality, secondary sexual characters and parasitism in roach (Rutilus rutilus L.). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 81: 111–117. , , &
- 1999. Lowered sperm motility in subordinate social status of mice. Physiol. Behav. 65: 1–15. &
- 2002. Multiple paternity in a field population of a small carnivorous marsupial, the agile antechinus, Antechinus agilis. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 52: 84–91. , &
- 1997. Male mating behaviour and patterns of sperm precedence in Artic ground squirrels. Anim. Behav. 53: 767–779. , &
- 1999. Evolution of sperm size in nematodes: sperm competition favours larger sperm. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 263–267. &
- 1999. Simple histochemical stain for acrosomes on sperm from several species. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 52: 445–449. &
- 2005. Ejaculate investment in a promiscuous rodent, Peromyscus maniculatus: effects of population density and social role. Evol. Ecol. Res. 8: 345–356. &
- 1979. Multivariate Analysis. Academic Press, London. , &
- 2006. Morphological evolution is accelerated among island mammals. PLoS Biol. 4: e321.
- 1998. Testis size, ejaculate quality and sperm competition in birds. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 33: 273–283.
- 1999. Murine viruses in an island population of introduced house mice and endemic short-tailed mice in Western Australia. J. Wildl. Dis. 35: 301–310. , , , &
- 2003. Pathogens of house mice on arid Boullanger and subantarctic Macquarie Island, Australia. J. Wildl. Dis. 39: 762–771. , , &
- 1996. Progesterone and the zona pellucida activate different transducing pathways in the sequence of events leading to diacylglycerol generation during mouse sperm acrosomal exocytosis. Biochem. J. 320: 1017–1023. &
- 2002. Assessing the statistical power of genetic analyses to detect multiple mating in fishes. J. Fish Biol. 61: 739–750. &
- 1993. Simulated drought affects male reproductive function in deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus bairdii). Physiol. Zool. 66: 99–114.
- 1970. Sperm competition and its evolutionary consequences in the insects. Biol. Rev. 45: 525–567.
- 1998. Sperm competition and the evolution of ejaculates: towards a theory base. In: Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection (T.R.Birkhead & A.P.Møller, eds), pp. 3–54. Academic Press, London.
- 2000. Seasonal patterns of LH, testosterone and semen quality in the Northern pintail duck (Anas acuta). Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 12: 229–235. , , , , , &
- 2001. Microevolution in island rodents. Genetica 112/113: 245–256. &
- 1994. Avian polygny is most likely in populations with high variability in heritable male fitness. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 256: 275–280. &
- 2001. Males’ evolutionary responses to experimental removal of sexual selection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 268: 1071–1080. , , &
- 2006. The prospect of sexual competition stimulates premature and repeated ejaculation in a mammal. Curr. Biol. 16: R239. &
- 2007. Ejaculate allocation under varying sperm competition risk in the house mouse, Mus musculus domesticus. Behav. Ecol. 18: 491–495. &
- 2005. Sperm competition and the evolution of male reproductive anatomy in rodents. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272: 949–955. , &
- 1992. Intraspecific variation in testes size among northern populations of Peromyscus. Funct. Ecol. 6: 455–459. &
- 1988. Mating frequency and fecundity in insects. Biol. Rev. 63: 509–549.
- 1998. Inbreeding, fluctuating asymmetry, and ejaculate quality in an endangered ungulate. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 265: 243–248. , , &
- 2006. Rapid adjustments of sperm characteristics in relation to social status. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 325–332. , , , &
- 2001. Sperm Competition and its Evolutionary Consequences in the Insects. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1999. Sperm competition games played by dimorphic male beetles. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 145–150. , &
- 2007. Polyandry in the wild: temporal changes in female mating frequency and sperm competition intensity in natural populations of the tettigoniid Requena verticalis. Mol. Ecol. 16: 4613–4623. , &
- 1984. Sperm Competition and the Evolution of Animal Mating Systems. Academic Press, New York.
- 1997. Sperm competition in fishes: the evolution of testis size and ejaculate characteristics. Am. Nat. 149: 933–954. , , &
- 1998. Benefits of multiple mates in the cricket Gryllus biamaculatus. Evolution 52: 1726–1730. &
- 2007. Genetic diversity and population size: island populations of the common shrew, Sorex araneus. Mol. Ecol. 16: 2005–2016. &
- 1996. The evolution of polyandry. I. Intragenomic conflict and genetic incompatibility. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263: 1711–1717. &