HSP70 expression in the Copper butterfly Lycaena tityrus across altitudes and temperatures
Article first published online: 3 NOV 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 172–178, January 2009
How to Cite
KARL, I., SØRENSEN, J. G., LOESCHCKE, V. and FISCHER, K. (2009), HSP70 expression in the Copper butterfly Lycaena tityrus across altitudes and temperatures. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 172–178. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01630.x
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 3 NOV 2008
- Received 11 April 2008; accepted 4 September 2008
- 2003. Thermal tolerance trade-offs associated with the right arm of chromosome 3 and marked by the hsr-omega gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Heredity 90: 195–202. , , , &
- 2002. The evolution of thermal physiology in ectotherms. J. Therm. Biol. 27: 249–268. , &
- 2004. The quantitative genetics of two life history trade-offs in the yellow dung fly in abundant and limited food environments. Evol. Ecol. 18: 385–402. &
- 2003. Costs and consequences of evolutionary temperature adaptation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18: 573–581.
- 1997. Effects of inbreeding in three life stages of Drosophila buzzatii after embryos were exposed to a high temperature stress. Heredity 78: 410–416. &
- 1998. Induced thermotolerance and associated expression of the heat-shock protein Hsp70 in adult Drosophila melanogaster. Funct. Ecol. 12: 786–793. , , &
- 2001. Behavioral differentiation in oviposition activity in Drosophila buzzatii from highland and lowland populations in Argentina: plasticity or thermal adaptation. Evolution 55: 738–747. , &
- 2004. Biochemical indicators of stress and metabolism: applications for marine ecological studies. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 66: 183–207.
- 2007. The role of stress proteins in responses of a montane willow leaf beetle to environmental temperature variation. J. Biosci. 32: 477–488. &
- 2001. Physiology of the rocky intertidal predator Nucella ostrina along an environmental stress gradient. Ecology 82: 2816–2829. , &
- 1991. Die Schmetterlinge Baden-Württembergs, Vol. 2. Ulmer, Stuttgart. &
- 1999. Heat-shock proteins, molecular chaperones, and the stress response: evolutionary and ecological physiology. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 61: 243–282. &
- 1979. Ökologie der Hochgebirge. Ulmer, Stuttgart.
- 2003. Evolution of thermotolerance and the heat-shock response: evidence from inter/intraspecific hybridization in the virilis species group of Drosophila. I. Thermal phenotype. J. Exp. Biol. 206: 2399–2408. , , &
- 1992. Protein folding in the cell. Nature 355: 33–45. &
- 2002. How do we measure the environment? Linking intertidal thermal physiology and ecology through biophysics. Integr. Comp. Biol. 42: 837–845.
- 2007. Breeding distributions of North American bird species moving north as a result of climate change. Conserv. Biol. 21: 534–539. &
- 1999. Heritable variation and evolution under favourable and unfavourable conditions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 96–101. &
- 1991. Evolutionary Genetics and Environmental Stress. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 2003. Adaptation of Drosophila to temperature extremes: bringing together quantitative and molecular approaches. J. Therm. Biol. 28: 175–216. , &
- 2005. Patterns of Hsp gene expression in ectothermic marine organisms on small to large biogeographic scales. Integr. Comp. Biol. 45: 247–255.
- 1999. Testing the adaptive significance of acclimation: a strong inference approach. Am. Zool. 39: 323–336. , , &
- 2008a. Altitudinal life-history variation and thermal adaptation in the Copper butterfly Lycaena tityrus. Oikos 117: 778–788. , &
- 2008b. PGI genotype affects life history traits and cold stress resistance in a Copper butterfly. Funct. Ecol 22: 887–894. , &
- 2001. Reduced enzyme activity following Hsp70 overexpression in Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem. Genet. 39: 73–82. &
- 1994a. Effects of exposure to short-term heat stress on fitness components in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 7: 39–49. &
- 1994b. Costs and benefits of activation of the heat-shock response in Drosophila melanogaster. Funct. Ecol. 8: 730–737. &
- 2000. Variation in the expression of Hsp70, the major heat-shock protein, and thermotolerance in larval and adult selection lines of Drosophila melanogaster. J. Therm. Biol. 25: 443–450. , &
- 2005. Molecular modalities of insect cold survival: current understanding and future trends. In: Animals and Environment (S.Morris & A.Vosloo, eds), pp. 32–46. Elsevier, Amsterdam. &
- 2006. Higher stress protein levels are associated with lower humoral and cell-mediated immune responses in Pied Flycatcher females. Funct. Ecol. 20: 647–655. , , , , , &
- 1999. Poleward shifts in geographical ranges of butterfly species associated with regional warming. Nature 399: 579–583. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1993. The function of heat-shock proteins in stress tolerance – degradation and reactivation of damaged proteins. Annu. Rev. Genet. 27: 437–496. &
- 1994. Heat shock proteins and stress tolerance. In: The Biology of Heat Shock Proteins and Molecular Chaperones (R.I.Morimoto, A.Tissières & C.Georgopoulos, eds), pp. 457–494. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY. &
- 1997. Heat-shock protein expression in Mytilus californianus: acclimatization (seasonal and tidal-height comparisons) and acclimation effects. Biol. Bull. 192: 309–320. , &
- 2004. Thermal stress and neural function: adaptive mechanisms in insect model systems. J. Therm. Biol. 29: 351–358.
- 2006. Effect of exposure to short-term heat stress on survival and fecundity in Drosophila ananassae. Can. J. Zool. 84: 895–899. &
- 1999. Expression of the heat-shock protein Hsp70 in Drosophila buzzatii lines selected for thermal resistance. Hereditas 131: 155–164. , , &
- 2001. Genetic variation in thermal tolerance among natural populations of Drosophila buzzatii: down regulation of Hsp70 expression and variation in heat stress resistance traits. Funct. Ecol. 15: 289–296. , &
- 2003. The evolutionary and ecological role of heat shock proteins. Ecol. Lett. 6: 1025–1037. , &
- 2005. Altitudinal variation for stress resistance traits and thermal adaptation in adult Drosophila buzzatii from the New World. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 829–837. , , &
- 1998. Die Tagfalter Europas und Nordwestafrikas. Franckh-Kosmos, Stuttgart. &
- 2000. Environmental physiology of Animals. Blackwell Science, Oxford. , &
- 2002. Interpreting rejections of the beneficial acclimation hypothesis: when is physiological plasticity adaptive? Evolution 56: 1863–1866. &
- 2001. Differential expression of two Hsp70 transcripts in response to cold shock, thermoperiod, and adult diapause in the Colorado potato beetle. J. Insect Physiol. 47: 1139–1145.