Natural selection maximizes Fisher information
Article first published online: 11 NOV 2008
© 2008 The Author. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 231–244, February 2009
How to Cite
FRANK, S. A. (2009), Natural selection maximizes Fisher information. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 231–244. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01647.x
- Issue published online: 19 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 11 NOV 2008
- Received 24 August 2008; accepted 14 October 2008
- 2000. Methods of Information Geometry. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI. &
- 2008. A Farewell to Entropy: Statistical Thermodynamics based on Information. World Scientific Publishing, Hackensack, NJ.
- 1956. Science and Information Theory. Academic Press, New York.
- 1970. An Introduction to Population Genetics Theory. Harper and Row, New York. &
- 1976. Rate of change of a character correlated with fitness. Am. Nat. 110: 207–213. &
- 2002. The fundamental theorem of natural selection. Theor. Popul. Biol. 61: 335–337.
- 1989. An interpretation and proof of the fundamental theorem of natural selection. Theor. Popul. Biol. 36: 167–180.
- 1992. An optimizing principle of natural selection in evolutionary population genetics. Theor. Popul. Biol. 42: 333–346.
- 1922. On the mathematical foundations of theoretical statistics. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. A 222: 309–368.
- 1958. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection, 2nd edn. Dover Publications, New York.
- 1995. George Price's contributions to evolutionary genetics. J. Theor. Biol. 175: 373–388.
- 1997. The Price equation, Fisher's fundamental theorem, kin selection, and causal analysis. Evolution 51: 1712–1729.
- 1992. Fisher's fundamental theorem of natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 7: 92–95. &
- 2004. Science from Fisher Information: A Unification. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2001. Population genetics from an information perspective. J. Theor. Biol. 208: 49–64. , &
- 2008. Diversity, dilemmas and monopolies of niche construction. Am. Nat. (in press). , &
- 2006. Maximum entropy production principle in physics, chemistry and biology. Phys. Rep. 426: 1–45. &
- 2003. Niche Construction: The Neglected Process in Evolution. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , &
- 1970. Selection and covariance. Nature 227: 520–521.
- 1972a. Extension of covariance selection mathematics. Ann. Hum. Genet. 35: 485–490.
- 1972b. Fisher's ‘fundamental theorem’ made clear. Ann. Hum. Gen. 36: 129–140.
- 1995. The nature of selection. (Written circa 1971, published posthumously). J. Theor. Biol. 175: 389–396.
- 1966. A mathematical model of the culling process in dairy cattle. Anim. Prod. 8: 93–108.
- 1961. Thermostatics and Thermodynamics: An Introduction to Energy, Information and States of Matter, with Engineering Applications. Van Nostrand, New York.
- 1992. Recent thinking about the nature of the physical world: it from bit. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 655: 349–364.