Senescent sperm performance in old male birds
Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 334–344, February 2009
How to Cite
MØLLER, A. P., MOUSSEAU, T. A., RUDOLFSEN, G., BALBONTíN, J., MARZAL, A., HERMOSELL, I. and DE LOPE, F. (2009), Senescent sperm performance in old male birds. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 334–344. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01650.x
- Issue online: 19 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2008
- Received 4 April 2008; revised 13 October 2008; accepted 14 October 2008
- 2007. Age-related change in breeding performance in early life is associated with an increase in competence in the migratory barn swallow Hirundo rustica. J. Anim. Ecol. 76: 915–925. , , , , &
- 2003. Life history and the male mutation bias. Evolution 57: 2398–2406. , , , &
- 2000. Evolution of female mate choice based on male age: are older males better mates? Evol. Ecol. Res. 2: 107–118. &
- 1992. Sperm Competition in Birds: Evolutionary Causes and Consequences. Academic Press, London. &
- 2001. Can older males deliver the good genes? Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 308–313. &
- 2004. Clinical associations and mechanisms of action of antisperm antibodies. Fertil. Steril. 82: 529–535. &
- 1997. The high spontaneous mutation rate: is it a health risk? Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 94: 8380–8386.
- 1995. Biological basis of germline mutation: comparisons of spontaneous mutation rates among Drosophila, mouse and human. Environ. Mol. Mutagen. 25(Suppl. 26): 48–64. &
- 2001. Lifetime semen production in a cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus). Zoo Biol. 20: 359–366. , , &
- 2000. Chance, Development, and Aging. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2000. Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of aging. Nature 408: 239–247. &
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 1999. Sperm mobility: a primary determinant of fertility in the domestic fowl (Gallus domesticus). Biol. Reprod. 61: 400–405. , , &
- 2004. Spermatozoal traits and sperm competition in Atlantic salmon: relative sperm velocity is the primary determinant of fertilization success. Curr. Biol. 14: 44–47. , , , , &
- 2005. Sperm viability matters in insect sperm competition. Curr. Biol. 15: 271–275. &
- 1966. The moulding of senescence by natural selection. J. Theor. Biol. 12: 12–45.
- 1995. Good genes and old age: do old males provide superior genes? J. Evol. Biol. 8: 759–778. &
- 2000. Parental cigarette smoking, hard liquor consumption and the risk of childhood brain tumors: a case control study in northeast China. Acta Oncol. 39: 979–984. , &
- 1998. Sex biases in the mutation rate. Trends Genet. 14: 446–452. &
- 2000. Adaptive female choice for middle aged mates in a lekking sandfly. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 681–686. , &
- 2001. Effects of male age on semen quality and fertility: a review of the literature. Fertil. Steril. 75: 237–248. , &
- 2000. Why do we age? Nature 408: 233–238. &
- 1998. Good genes, old age and life-history trade-offs. Evol. Ecol. 12: 739–750.
- 2002. Variation in sperm swimming behaviour and its effect on fertilization success in the serpulid polychaete, Galeolardia caespitose. Invert. Reprod. Dev. 41: 21–26. &
- 1998. Determination of semen quality in the rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, by sperm motility, seminal plasma parameters, and spermatozoal metabolism. Aquaculture 163: 163–181. , , &
- 2000. Sperm velocity and longevity trade off each other and influence fertilization in the sea urchin Lytechinus variegates. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 531–534.
- 1985. Choosy females and correlates of male age. J. Theor. Biol. 116: 349–354.
- 1985. Mixed reproductive strategy and mate guarding in a semi-colonial passerine, the swallow Hirundo rustica. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 17: 401–408.
- 1987. Behavioural aspects of sperm competition in swallows Hirundo rustica. Behaviour 100: 92–104.
- 1994. Sexual Selection and the Barn Swallow. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1998. Sperm competition, sexual selection, and different routes to fitness. In: Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection (T.R.Birkhead & A.P.Møller, eds), pp. 51–89. Academic Press, London.
- 1999. Senescence in a short-lived migratory bird: age-dependent morphology, migration, reproduction and parasitism. J. Anim. Ecol. 68: 163–171. &
- 1998. Sperm competition and sexual selection: a meta-analysis of paternity studies of birds. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 43: 345–358. &
- 2002. Survival rate of adult barn swallows Hirundo rustica in relation to sexual selection and reproduction. Ecology 83: 2220–2228. &
- 2005a. Reproduction and migration in relation to senescence in the barn swallow Hirundo rustica: a study of avian ‘centenarians’. Age 27: 1–12. , &
- 2005b. Condition, reproduction and survival of barn swallows from Chernobyl. J. Anim. Ecol. 74: 1102–1111. , , , , &
- 2008a. Impaired swimming behavior and morphology of sperm from barn swallows Hirundo rustica in Chernobyl. Mutation Res. 650: 210–216. , , , &
- 2008b. Females affect sperm swimming performance: a field experiment with barn swallows Hirundo rustica. Behav. Ecol. 19 (in press). , &
- 1994. Antisperm antibodies: origin, regulation, and sperm reactivity in human infertility. Fertil. Steril. 61: 1001–1013. &
- 1979. Sexual selection and sexual conflict. In: Sexual Selection and Reproductive Competition in Insects (M.S.Blum & N.A.Blum, eds), pp. 123–166. Academic Press, New York.
- 1993. Optimality, mutation, and the evolution of ageing. Nature 362: 305–311. &
- 2008. The evolutionary ecology of pre- and post-meitic sperm senescence. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23: 131–140. , , , &
- 2000. Substance abuse and parenthood: Biological mechanisms – bioethical challenges. Women Health 30: 1–24.
- 2003. Male age, germline mutations and the benefits of polyandry. Ecol. Lett. 6: 581–586.
- 1991. Evolutionary Biology of Aging. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2005. Sexual Conflict. Princeton University Press, Princeton. &
- 2008. Sperm velocity influence paternity in the Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.). Aquac. Res. 39: 212–216. , , &
- 2001. Immunoglobulin plasma concentration in relation to egg laying and mate ornamentation of female barn swallows (Hirundo rustica). J. Evol. Biol. 14: 95–109. , &
- 2002. Mate fidelity, senescence in breeding performance, and reproductive trade-offs in the barn swallow. J. Anim. Ecol. 71: 309–319. , , &
- 1993. Evolution of delayed reproductive senescence in male fruit-flies: sperm competition. Genetica 91: 111–125. &
- 2003. Effects of age on DNA double-strand breaks and apoptosis in human sperm. Fertil. Steril. 80: 1420–1430. , &
- 2006. Quantitative effects of male age on sperm motion. Hum. Reprod. 21: 2868–2875. , , , , &
- 1957. Pleiotropy, natural selection, and the evolution of senescence. Evolution 11: 398–411.
- 2000. Age-dependent changes in sperm production, semen quality, and testicular volume in the black-footed ferret (Mustela nigripes). Biol. Reprod. 63: 179–187. , , , , , &