Fitness differences associated with Pgi SNP genotypes in the Glanville fritillary butterfly (Melitaea cinxia)
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 367–375, February 2009
How to Cite
ORSINI, L., WHEAT, C. W., HAAG, C. R., KVIST, J., FRILANDER, M. J. and HANSKI, I. (2009), Fitness differences associated with Pgi SNP genotypes in the Glanville fritillary butterfly (Melitaea cinxia). Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 367–375. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01653.x
- Issue published online: 19 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2008
- Received 11 September 2008; revised 17 October 2008; accepted 20 October 2008
- 1996. What does electrophoretic variation tell us about protein variation? Mol. Biol. Evol. 13: 427–432. , &
- 2003. Development of high throughput single nucleotide polymorphism genotyping for the analysis of Nodularia (Cyanobacteria) population genetics. J. Phycol. 39: 248–252. &
- 1997. Epistasis in measured genotypes: Drosophila P-element insertions. Genetics 147: 157–163. &
- 2000. Functional and physiological consequences of genetic variation at phosphoglucose isomerase: heat shock protein expression is related to enzyme genotype in a montane beetle. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 97: 10056–10061. &
- 1999. DNA polymorphism, haplotype structure and balancing selection in the Leavenworthia PgiC locus. Genetics 153: 1423–1434. &
- 1963. Population studies of a lethal mutant in Drosophila melanogaster. I. Behaviour in populations with discrete generations. Hereditas 50: 89–116.
- 1994. Evidence for the partial dominance of viability genes contributing to inbreeding depression in Mimulus guttatus. Genetics 136: 323–331. &
- 2008. A localized negative genetic correlation constrains microevolution of coat color in wild sheep. Science 319: 318–320. , , , , , &
- 1998. HLA-H: a pseudogene with increased variation due to balancing selection at neighboring loci. Mol. Biol. Evol. 15: 1581–1588. , &
- 2005. A candidate locus for variation in dipersal rate in a butterfly metapopulation. Proc. R. Soc. B 272: 2449–2456. , , &
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucl. Acids. Symp. Ser. 41: 95–98.
- 1998. Metapopulation dynamics. Nature 396: 41–49.
- 1999. Metapopulation Ecology. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2006. Molecular-level variation affects population growth in a butterfly metapopulation. PLoS Biol. 4: e129. &
- 2007. Principles of Population Genetics, 4th edn. Sinauer and Associates, Sunderland, MA. &
- 1977. Assessing electrophoretic similarity – problem of hidden heterogeneity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 8: 309–328.
- 1997. Balancing selection on electrophoretic variation of phosphoglucose isomerase in two species of field cricket: Gryllus veletis and G. offnsylvanicus. Genetics 147: 609–621. &
- 2005. Epistasis and balanced polymorphism influencing complex trait variation. Nature 435: 95–98. &
- 1959. The goodness-of-fit test for detecting natural selection in random mating populations. Evolution 13: 561–564. &
- 1996. Polygenic mutation in Drosophila melanogaster: genetic interactions between selection lines and candidate quantitative trait loci. Genetics 144: 671–688. &
- 1999. Coadapted gene complexes for morphological traits in Drosophila mercatorum. Two-loci interactions. Heredity 83 (Pt 1): 54–61. &
- 2004. Structure and dynamics of Melitaea cinxia metapopulations. In: On the Wings of the Checkerspots: A Model System for Population Biology (P.R.Ehrlich & I.Hanki, eds), pp. 63–91. Oxford University Press, New York. , &
- 2009. Flight metabolic rate and Pgi genotype influence butterfly dispersal rate in the field. Ecology, in press. , , , , , , , &
- 1971. Associative overdominance caused by linked detrimental mutations. Genet. Res. 18: 277–286.
- 2008. Genetic spatial structure in a butterfly metapopulation correlates better with past than present demographic structure. Mol. Ecol. 17: 2629–2642. , , &
- 1999. The effects of deleterious mutations on linked, neutral variation in small populations. Genetics 153: 475–483. &
- 1998. Associative overdominance, heterozygosity and fitness. Heredity 81 (Pt 4): 381–389. &
- 1992. Glucosephosphate isomerase and fitness: effects of temperature on genotype dependent mortality and enzyme activity in 2 species of the genus Gammarus (Crustacea, Amphipoda). Evolution 46: 1568–1573. &
- 2003. Relative roles of mutation and recombination in generating allelic polymorphism at an MHC class II locus in Peromyscus maniculatus. Genet. Res. 82: 89–99. , , &
- 2003. DNAsp, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics 19: 2496–2497. , , &
- 2007. Life-history, genotypic, and environmental correlates of clutch size in the Glanville fritillary butterfly. Ecol. Entomol. 32: 235–242.
- 2008. Genotypic and environmental effects on flight activity and oviposition in the Glanville fritillary butterfly. Am. Nat. 171: 701–712. &
- 1998. Inbreeding and extinction in a butterfly metapopulation. Nature 392: 491–494. , , , , &
- 2006. Rapid evolution of major histocompatibility complex class I genes in primates generates new disease alleles in humans via hitchhiking diversity. Genetics 173: 1555–1570. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1958. The comparison of observed and calculated zygotic distributions. Evolution 12: 113–115.
- 1977. Adaptation at specific loci. I. Natural selection on phosphoglucose isomerase of Colias butterflies: biochemical and population aspects. Genetics 87: 177–194.
- 1983. Adaptation at specific loci. II. Demographic and biochemical elements in the maintenance of the Colias Pgi polymorphism. Genetics 103: 691–724.
- 1992. Eggs, enzymes, and evolution: natural genetic variants change insect fecundity. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 89: 10608–10612.
- 1983. Adaptation at specific loci. III. Field behavior and survivorship differences among Colias Pgi genotypes are predictable from in vitro biochemistry. Genetics 103: 725–739. , &
- 2003. Adaptation at specific loci. VII. Natural selection, dispersal and the diversity of molecular-functional variation patterns among butterfly species complexes (Colias: Lepidoptera, Pieridae). Mol. Ecol. 12: 1265–1275. , , &
- 2006. From DNA to fitness differences: sequences and structures of adaptive variants of Colias phosphoglucose isomerase (PGI). Mol. Biol. Evol. 23: 499–512. , , &
- 2004. European ACP1*C allele has recessive deleterious effects on early life viability. Hum. Biol. 76: 817–835. &
- 1989. Allozymes of glucose-6-phosphate isomerase differentially modulate pentose-shunt metabolism in the sea anemone Metridium senile. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 86: 2737–2741. &
- 1987. Temperature-dependent kinetic variation among phosphoglucose isomerase allozymes from the wing-polymorphic water strider, Limnoporus canaliculatus. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4: 266–285.