Host genetic architecture in single and multiple infections
Version of Record online: 15 DEC 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2008 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 396–404, February 2009
How to Cite
WEGNER, K. M., BERENOS, C. and SCHMID-HEMPEL, P. (2009), Host genetic architecture in single and multiple infections. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 396–404. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01657.x
- Issue online: 19 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 15 DEC 2008
- Received 2 September 2008; revised 21 October 2008; accepted 23 October 2008
- 1986. Effects of infection by Nosema whitei on the mating frequency and fecundity of Tribolium castaneum. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 47: 310–316. &
- 1985. The Influence of starvation on mortality, development, and protein-content in parasitized and unparasitized Tribolium castaneum. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 46: 103–108. &
- 1995. The dynamics of multiple infection and the evolution of virulence. Am. Nat. 146: 881–910. &
- 1992. Nosema whitei– effects on oocyte development and maturation in Tribolium castaneum. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 59: 115–123. &
- 2008. The effects of multiple infections on the expression and evolution of virulence in a Daphnia-Endoparasite system. Evolution 62: 1700–1711. , &
- 2005. Determinants of virulence for the parasite Nosema whitei in its host Tribolium castaneum. J. Insect Pathol. 89: 186–193. &
- 2002. Does multiple infection select for raised virulence? Trends Microbiol. 10: 401–405. , &
- 2001. Genetic variation in a host-parasite association: potential for coevolution and frequency-dependent selection. Evolution 55: 1136–1145. , &
- 2000. Kin selection and parasite evolution: higher and lower virulence with hard and soft selection. Q. Rev. Biol. 75: 261–275. , , , &
- 2002. Mixed strain schistosome infections of snails and the evolution of parasite virulence. Parasitology 124: 31–38. , &
- 2006. Experimental methods for measuring gene interactions. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37: 289–316. &
- 2007a. Population differentiation in the beetle Tribolium castaneum. I. Genetic architecture. Evolution 61: 494–509. &
- 2007b. Population differentiation in the beetle Tribolium castaneum. II. Haldane’s rule and incipient speciation. Evolution 61: 694–699. &
- 2005. Selection by parasites may increase host recombination frequency. Biol. Lett. 1: 193–195. &
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection: A Complete Variorum Edition. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 1992. A kin selection model for the evolution of virulence. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 250: 195–197.
- 1996. Models of parasite virulence. Q. Rev. Biol. 71: 37–78.
- 2002. The evolution of parasite virulence, superinfection, and host resistance. Am. Nat. 159: 658–669. , &
- 2005. Evolutionary causes and consequences of immunopathology. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 36: 373–397. , &
- 2006. Host-parasite interactions for virulence and resistance in a malaria model system. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1620–1630. , &
- 2007. Cost and benefits of sexual reproduction (ETH thesis No. 17130). Dissertation, Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule ETH Zürich, Zürich.
- 2003. Immune function across generations: integrating mechanism and evolutionary process in maternal antibody transmission. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 270: 2309–2319. , &
- 2006. The evolution of genetic architecture. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37: 123–157.
- 1958. The separation of epistatic from additive and dominance variation in generation means. Heredity 12: 371–390.
- 1998. Single-clone and mixed infections vs. host genotype in Crithidia bombi infecting bumblebees. Parasitology 117: 331–336. &
- 2005. Epistasis in monkeyflowers. Genetics 171: 1917–1931.
- 2001. The genetic architecture of disease resistance in plants and the maintenance of recombination by parasites. Mol. Ecol. 10: 1–16. &
- 1997. Evolutionary divergence of the genetic architecture underlying photoperiodism in the pitcher-plant mosquito, Wyeomyia smithii. Genetics 147: 1873–1883. , &
- 2006. Coevolutionary interactions between host and parasite genotypes. Trends Parasitol. 22: 12–16. , &
- 2004. Genetic basis of natural variation in D. melanogaster antibacterial immunity. Science 303: 1873–1876. , &
- 2003. Maternal transfer of strain-specific immunity in an invertebrate. Curr. Biol. 13: 489–492. , , , &
- 1982. Biometrical Genetics. Chapman and Hall, New York, NY. &
- 1995. Coinfection and the evolution of parasite virulence. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 261: 209–215. &
- 1972. Nosema whitei, a microsporidian pathogen of some species of Tribolium. 1. Morphology, life-cycle, and generation time. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 19: 231–238.
- 2007. Host-parasite interactions (ETH thesis No. 17134). Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule ETH, Zürich.
- R_Development_Core_Team 2007. r: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna.
- 2006. One day is enough: rapid and specific host-parasite interactions in a stickleback-trematode system. Biol. Lett. 2: 382–384. , &
- 2008. Partitioning average competition and extreme-genotype effects in genetically diverse infections. Oikos 117: 399–405. , &
- 2001. The ecology of genetically diverse infections. Science 292: 1099–1102. &
- 2008. The genome of the model beetle and pest Tribolium castaneum. Nature 452: 949–955. , , , , , &
- 2004. Host heterogeneity is a determinant of competitive exclusion or coexistence in genetically diverse malaria infections. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 271: 1073–1080. , , , &
- 2005. Virulence and competitive ability in genetically diverse malaria infections. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102: 7624–7628. , , , , , , , , &
- 2007. Facultative but persistent transgenerational immunity via the mother’s eggs in bumblebees. Curr. Biol. 17: R1046–R1047. &
- 2003. Sub-lethal effects of pathogens can lead to the evolution of lower virulence in multiple infections. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 270: 189–193. &
- 2005. Natural insect host-parasite systems show immune priming and specificity: puzzles to be solved. Bioessays 27: 1026–1034.
- 2000. Parasite heterogeneity affects infection success and the occurrence of within-host competition: an experimental study with a cestode. Evol. Ecol. Res. 2: 1031–1043. &
- 2008. Non-additive genetic components in resistance of the red flour beetle Tribolium castanaeum against parasite infection. Evolution 62: 2381–2392. , &
- 2008. The genetic architecture of susceptibility to parasites. BMC Evol. Biol. 8: 187. &
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics 16: 97–159.
- 2007. Comparative genomic analysis of the Tribolium immune system. Genome Biol. 8: R179. , , , , , , , &