Predation mediated population divergence in complex behaviour of nine-spined stickleback (Pungitius pungitius)
Article first published online: 29 JAN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 544–552, March 2009
How to Cite
HERCZEG, G., GONDA, A. and MERILÄ, J. (2009), Predation mediated population divergence in complex behaviour of nine-spined stickleback (Pungitius pungitius). Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 544–552. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2008.01674.x
- Issue published online: 19 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 29 JAN 2009
- Received 16 September 2008; accepted 09 November 2008
- 2001. The Freshwater Fishes of Europe. Vol. 5/III. AULA-Verlag, Wiebelsheim. &
- 2005. Behavioural differences between individuals and two populations of stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). J. Evol. Biol. 18: 464–473.
- 2007. Future directions in behavioural syndrome research. Proc. R. Soc. B 274: 755–761.
- 2007. Exposure to predation generates personality in threespined sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Ecol. Lett. 10: 828–834. &
- 2004. Development of behavioural differences between individuals and populations of sticklebacks ,Gasterosteus aculeatus. Anim. Behav. 68: 1339–1348. &
- 2000. The evolution of body size: what keeps organisms small? Q. Rev. Biol. 75: 385–407.
- 1987. Genetic differentiation for anti-predator behaviour in the Trinidad guppy, Poecilia reticulata. Anim. Behav. 35: 618–620. , &
- 2005. In situ examination of boldness-shyness traits in the tropical poeciliid, Brachyraphis episcope. Anim. Behav. 70: 1003–1009. , &
- 2007. Heritable and experiential effects on boldness in a tropical poeciliid. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 62: 237–243. , &
- 2008. Habitat stability and predation pressure affect temperament behaviours in populations of three-spined sticklebacks. J. Anim. Ecol. 77: 229–235. , , &
- 1975. The contribution of ecological genetics to evolutionary theory: detecting the direct effects of natural selection on particularly polymorphic loci. Genetics 79(Suppl.): 101–113.
- 1974. The escape response of the zebra danio (Branchydanio rerio): the effect of experience. Anim. Behav. 22: 723–730.
- 2003. Natal dispersal and personalities in great tits (Parus major). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 741–747. , , , &
- 2008. Individual experience and evolutionary history of predation affect expression of heritable variation in fish personality and morphology. Proc. R. Soc. B, in press. , , , , , , &
- 2007. Behavioural syndromes differ predictably between 12 populations of three-spined stickleback. J. Anim. Ecol. 76: 1128–1138. , , , , &
- 2003. Realized heritability of personalities in the great tit (Parus major). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 45–51. , &
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 1999. The geography of behaviour: an evolutionary perspective. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 190–195.
- 1999. Geographic Variation in Behavior: Perspectives on Evolutionary Mechanisms. Oxford University Press, New York. &
- 1984. Development of the overhead fright response in wild and predator naive three-spined sticklebacks, Gasterosteus aculeatus L. Anim. Behav. 32: 276–279.
- 2001. From mice to men: what can we learn about personality from animal research. Psychol. Bull. 127: 45–86.
- 2008. The social cost of shoaling covaries with predation risk in ninespine stickleback (Pungitius pungitius) populations. Anim. Behav. doi: DOI: 10.1016/i.anbehar.2008.10.023, in press. , &
- 2001. The abuse of power: the pervasive fallacy of power calculations for data analyses. Am. Stat. 55: 19–24. &
- 1976. The relationship between anti-predator behaviour and aggression among conspecifics of the threespine stickleback. Anim. Behav. 24: 245–260.
- 2004. Diel and seasonal habitat and food segregation of three sympatric Coregonus lavaretus forms in a subarctic lake. J. Fish Biol. 64: 418–434. , , &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland. &
- 1990. The inheritance and development of minnow anti-predator behaviour. Anim. Behav. 39: 834–842.
- 1991. Variation in schooling and aggression amongst guppy (Poecilia reticulata) populations in Trinidad. Behaviour 118: 214–234. &
- 1994. Predator inspection behaviour covaries with schooling tendency amongst wild guppy, Poecilia reticulata. Behaviour 128: 121–134. &
- 2004. Additive and nonadditive genetic variation in avian personality traits. Heredity 93: 496–503. , , &
- 2005. Contribution of genetics to the study of animal personalities: a review of case studies. Behaviour 142: 1191–1212. , , , &
- 2007. Biology of the Three-Spined Stickleback. CRC Press, Boca Raton. , &
- 1992. Evolution of correlated characters. Trends Ecol. Evol. 7: 307–310. &
- 2003. Predator-induced natural selection on temperament in bighorn ewes. Anim. Behav. 65: 463–470. &
- 2007. Integrating animal temperament within ecology and evolution. Biol. Rev. 82: 291–318. , , , &
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43: 223–225.
- 1993. A test for correlations among fitness-linked behavioural traits in the spider Agelenopsis aperta (Araneae, Agelenidae). Anim. Behav. 46: 669–675. &
- 1995. Parallel speciation by natural selection. Am. Nat. 146: 292–301. &
- 1974. Schooling behaviour in the guppy (Poecilia reticulata): an evolutionary response to predation. Evolution 28: 486–489.
- 2004a. Behavioural syndromes: an ecological and evolutionary overview. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 372–378. , &
- 2004b. Behavioral syndromes: an integrative overview. Q. Rev. Biol. 79: 241–277. , , &
- 2008. Fitness consequences of personality: a meta-analysis. Behav. Ecol. 19: 448–455. &
- 2007. Growth-mortality trade-offs and ‘personality traits’ in animals. Ecol. Lett. 10: 355–363.
- 1994. Consistent individual differences in early exploratory behaviour of male great tits. Anim. Behav. 48: 1113–1121. , &
- 2007. Life-history trade-offs favour the evolution of animal personalities. Nature 447: 581–585. , , &
- 1999. Biostatistical Analysis, 4th edn. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River.