Diet-dependent female evolution influences male lifespan in a nuptial feeding insect
Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 4, pages 873–881, April 2009
How to Cite
HALL, M. D., BUSSIÈRE, L. F. and BROOKS, R. (2009), Diet-dependent female evolution influences male lifespan in a nuptial feeding insect. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 873–881. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01687.x
- Issue online: 13 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2009
- Received 15 October 2008; revised 11 December 2008; accepted 16 December 2008
- 1983. Information measures and model selection. Bull. Int. Stat. Inst. 44: 277–291.
- 2005. Sexual Conflict. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. &
- 2003. Measuring nonlinear selection. Am. Nat. 162: 815–820. &
- 2001. The evolution of male mate choice in insects: a synthesis of ideas and evidence. Biol. Rev. 76: 305–339.
- 2008. Sexual selection, sexual conflict and the evolution of ageing and life span. Funct. Ecol. 22: 443–453. , , &
- 2002. Model Selection and Multi-model Inference, 2nd edn. Springer, New York. &
- 2005. Preferred males are not always good providers: female choice and male investment in tree crickets. Behav. Ecol. 16: 223–231. , &
- 2005. Contrasting mutual sexual selection on homologous signal traits in Drosophila serrata. Am. Nat. 165: 281–289. &
- 1994. Sexual selection and the evolution of dance fly mating systems (Diptera: Empididae; Empidinae). Can. Entomol. 126: 907–920.
- 1988. Response-surface designs for quantitative and qualitative variables. Technometrics 30: 423–428. &
- 2002a. Nuptial gifts and the evolution of male body size. Evolution 56: 590–596. &
- 2002b. Tibial spur feeding in ground crickets: larger males contribute larger gifts (Orthoptera : Gryllidae). Fla. Entomol. 85: 317–323. &
- 2004. Complex genetic architecture of population differences in adult lifespan of a beetle: nonadditive inheritance, gender differences, body size and a large maternal effect. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 1007–1017. , &
- 2000. Genetic pathways that regulate ageing in model organisms. Nature 408: 255–262. &
- 1984. Courtship feeding increases female reproductive success in bush-crickets. Nature 307: 361–363.
- 2008. Sexual conflict over nuptial gifts in insects. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 53: 83–101.
- 1990. Experimental reversal of courtship roles in an insect. Nature 346: 172–174. &
- 2008a. The effect of diet quality and wing morph on male and female reproductive investment in a nuptial feeding ground cricket. PLoS ONE 3: e3437. , &
- 2008b. Experimental evidence that sexual conflict influences the opportunity, form and intensity of sexual selection. Evolution 62: 2305–2315. , , &
- 1999. Experimental removal of sexual selection reverses intersexual antagonistic coevolution and removes a reproductive load. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 96: 5083–5088. &
- 2004. High-quality male field crickets invest heavily in sexual display but die young. Nature 432: 1024–1027. , , , , &
- 2005. Female mate choice as a condition-dependent life-history trait. Am. Nat. 166: 79–92. , &
- 2004. Model selection in ecology and evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 101–108. &
- 1977. Evolution of aging. Nature 270: 301–304.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 2008. Lifespan and reproduction in Drosophila: new insights from nutritional geometry. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 105: 2498–2503. , , , , , , &
- 2004. Sex differences in the effect of dietary restriction on life span and mortality rates in female and male Drosophila melanogaster. J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 59: 3–9. , &
- 2005. Calories do not explain extension of life span by dietary restriction in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 3: 1305–1311. , &
- 2005. Adaptive male effects on female ageing in seed beetles. Proc. R. Soc. B 272: 2485–2489. , &
- 2007. Sexual selection affects lifespan and aging in the seed beetle. Aging Cell 6: 739–744. , &
- 2008. Sex-specific fitness effects of nutrient intake on reproduction and lifespan. Curr. Biol. 18: 1062–1066. , , , , , , , &
- 2006. Caloric restriction and aging: controversial issues. J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 61: 14–19.
- 1971. Mating behavior of Nemobiine crickets: Hygronemobius, Nemobius, and Pteronemobius (Orthoptera: Gryllidae). Fla. Entomol. 54: 113–126.
- 2005. Counting the calories: the role of specific nutrients in extension of life span by food restriction. J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 60: 549–555. , &
- 2003. Mate choice, sexual conflict, and evolution of senescence. Behav. Genet. 33: 191–201.
- 1997. Integrative models of nutrient balancing: application to insects and vertebrates. Nutr. Res. Rev. 10: 151–179. &
- 2005. Does Bertrand’s rule apply to macronutrients? Proc. R. Soc. B 272: 2429–2434. , &
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2004. Hemolymph loss during nuptial feeding constrains male mating success in sagebrush crickets. Behav. Ecol. 15: 845–849. , , , &
- 2006. Cryptic sexual conflict in gift-giving insects: chasing the chase-away. Am. Nat. 167: 94–104. , &
- 1992. Quantification of role reversal in relative parental investment in a bush cricket. Nature 358: 61–63.
- 1994. Reproductive energetics of the role reversing bush-cricket, Kawanaphila nartee (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae: Zaprochilinae). J. Evol. Biol. 7: 189–200.
- 1993. Reproductive investment in bushcrickets: the allocation of male and female nutrients to offspring. Proc. R. Soc. B 252: 1–5. &
- 2006. Costs of breeding and their effects on the direction of sexual selection. Proc. R. Soc. B 273: 465–470. &
- 2004. Optimal foraging when regulating intake of multiple nutrients. Anim. Behav. 68: 1299–1311. , , , &
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1998. The social context of life history evolution. Oikos 83: 466–477. &
- 2007. All that glisters is not gold: sensory bias, sexual conflict and nuptial feeding in insects and spiders. Ethology 113: 105–127.
- 2006. Evolving resistance to obesity in an insect. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103: 14045–14049. , , , &
- 2008. Nuptial gifts fail to resolve a sexual conflict in an insect. BMC Evol. Biol. 8: 204. , &
- 1988. The Retardation of Aging and Disease by Dietary Restriction. Charles C Thomas, Springfield, IL. &
- 1994. Courtship feeding in decorated crickets: is the spermatophylax a sham? Anim. Behav. 48: 1309–1315. &