Parallelism and historical contingency during rapid ecotype divergence in an isopod
Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 5, pages 1098–1110, May 2009
How to Cite
EROUKHMANOFF, F., HARGEBY, A., ARNBERG, N. N., HELLGREN, O., Bensch, S. and SVENSSON, E. I. (2009), Parallelism and historical contingency during rapid ecotype divergence in an isopod. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 1098–1110. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01723.x
- Issue online: 17 APR 2009
- Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2009
- Received 17 October 2008; revised 1 February 2009; accepted 5 February 2009
- 1982. Energetics of a population of Asellus aquaticus (Crustacea, Isopoda): respiration and energy budgets. Fresh. Biol. 12: 257–269.
- 2008. Convergence and parallelism reconsidered: what have we learned about the genetics of adaptation? Trends Ecol. Evol. 23: 26–32. &
- 1999. Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Mol. Biol. Evol. 16: 37–48. , &
- 2008. Adaptation from standing genetic variation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23: 38–44. &
- 1987. Interacting evolutionary constraints in pelvic reduction of threespine sticklebacks, Gasterosteus aculeatus (Pisces, Gasterosteidae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 31: 347–382.
- 2002. Amplified fragment length polymorphism analysis identifies hybrids between two subspecies of warblers. Mol. Ecol. 11: 473–481. , , &
- 2007. Sexual differences in the behavioral response of Túngara frogs, Physalaemus pustulosus, to cues associated with increased predation risk. Ethology 115: 755–763. , &
- 2005. Parallel evolution of sexual isolation in sticklebacks. Evolution 59: 361–373. , &
- 1999. Male mating strategies under predation risk: do females call the shots? Behav. Ecol. 10: 452–461. , &
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1: 47–50. , &
- 1994. DNA primers for amplification of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase subunit I from diverse metazoan invertebrates. Mol. Mar. Biol. Biotechnol. 3: 294–299. , , , &
- 1989. Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History. Norton, New York.
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp. Ser. 41: 95–98.
- 2006. Is size-assortative mating important for rapid pigment differentiation in a freshwater isopod? J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1911–1919. &
- 1994. Trophic web structure in a shallow eutrophic lake during a dominance shift from phytoplankton to submerged macrophytes. Hydrobiologia 280: 83–90. , , &
- 2004. Habitat-specific pigmentation in a freshwater isopod: Adaptive evolution over a small spatiotemporal scale. Evolution 58: 81–94. , &
- 2005. Locally differentiated cryptic pigmentation in the freshwater isopod Asellus aquaticus. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 713–721. , &
- 2007. Long-term patterns of shifts between clear and turbid states in Lake Krankesjon and Lake Takern. Ecosystems 10: 28–35. , &
- 1998. Evolutionary ecology – different routes to similar ends. Nature 392: 552–553. &
- 2006. A single amino acid mutation contributes to adaptive beach mouse color pattern. Science 313: 101–104. , , , &
- 2000. Rapid evolution of a geographic cline in size in an introduced fly. Science 287: 308–309. , , , &
- 1997. Variation in mate choice and mating preferences: a review of causes and consequences. Biol. Rev. Camb. Philos. Soc. 72: 283–327. &
- 2001. Parallel speciation: a key to sympatric divergence. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 148–153.
- 1991. Simplified mammalian DNA isolation procedure. Nucleic Acids Res. 19: 4293. , , , , &
- 2004. Shared and unique features of evolutionary diversification. Am. Nat. 164: 335–349. &
- 2006. Shared and unique features of diversification in greater Antillean Anolis ecomorphs. Evolution 60: 362–369. , &
- 1999. Rapid and repeated invasions of fresh water by the copepod Eurytemora affinis. Evolution 53: 1423–1434.
- 1998. Contingency and determinism in replicated adaptive radiations of island lizards. Science 279: 2115–2118. , , , &
- 1994. Speciation and the evolution of reproductive isolation in the sticklebacks (Gasterosteus) of south-western British Columbia. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (M.A.Bell & S.A.Foster, eds), pp. 399–437. Oxford University Press Inc., New York.
- 1985. The predation on Asellus aquaticus by perch Perca-fluviatilis in a small forest lake. Hydrobiologia 121: 27–34. &
- 1996. Life-history evolution in guppies (Poecilia reticulata: Poeciliidae). 4. Parallelism in life-history phenotypes. Am. Nat. 147: 319–338. , &
- 1997. The enemies within: intergenomic conflict, interlocus contest evolution (ICE), and the intraspecific Red Queen. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 41: 1–10. &
- 2007. Character displacement: in situ evolution of novel phenotypes or sorting of pre-existing variation? J. Evol. Biol. 20: 448–459. &
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution 50: 1766–1774.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press Inc., New York.
- 2004. Parallel evolution and inheritance of quantitative traits. Am. Nat. 163: 809–822. , , &
- Statsoft, Inc. 2004. STATISTICA (data analysis software system). Vers. 7. Statsoft, Tulsa, OK, USA. Available at: http://www.statsoft.com.
- 2000. Historical contingency and ecological determinism interact to prime speciation in sticklebacks, Gasterosteus. Proc. Biol. Sci. 267: 2375–2384. &
- 1995. Experimental tests of the roles of adaptation, chance, and history in evolution. Science 267: 87–90. , , &
- 2006. Historical contingency and the purported uniqueness of evolutionary innovations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103: 1804–1809.
- 2005. The colonization of Europe by the freshwater crustacean Asellus aquaticus (Crustacea: Isopoda) proceeded from ancient refugia and was directed by habitat connectivity. Mol. Ecol. 14: 4355–4369. , &
- 1995. AFLP – a new technique for DNA-fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Res. 23: 4407–4414. , , , , , , , , , &
- 1998. Food competition and niche separation between fish and the Red-necked Grebe Podiceps grisegena (Boddaert, 1783). Hydrobiologia 368: 75–81. &
- 1991. The Gammarus:Asellus ratio as an index of organic pollution. Water Res. 25: 333–339.
- 2003. Bacterial endosymbionts in Asellus aquaticus (Isopoda) and Gammarus pulex (Amphipoda) and their contribution to digestion. Limnol. Oceanogr. 48: 2208–2213. &