The Price equation framework to study disease within-host evolution
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 5, pages 1123–1132, May 2009
How to Cite
ALIZON, S. (2009), The Price equation framework to study disease within-host evolution. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 1123–1132. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01726.x
- Issue published online: 17 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2009
- Received 9 January 2009; revised 9 February 2009; accepted 10 February 2009
- 2005. Intra-host evolutionary dynamics of hepatitis C virus E2 in treated patients. J. Gen. Virol. 86: 2781–2786. , , &
- 2008. Transmission-recovery trade-offs to study parasite evolution. Am. Nat. 172: E113–E121.
- 2008. Acute or chronic? Within-host models with immune dynamics, infection outcome and parasite evolution. Am. Nat. 172: E244–E256. &
- 1982. Coevolution of hosts and parasites. Parasitology 85: 411–426. &
- 2006. Within-host evolution and virulence in microparasites. J. Theor. Biol. 241: 402–409. &
- 2007. Modeling within-host evolution of HIV: mutation, competition and strain replacement. Bull. Math. Biol. 69: 2361–2385. , &
- 2004. Underwhelming the immune response: effect of slow virus growth on CD8+-T-lymphocyte responses. J. Virol. 78: 2247–2254. , , , , , , , &
- 1994. Intra-host versus inter-host selection: viral strategies of immune function impairment. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91: 8062–8066. &
- 2002. Does multiple infection select for raised virulence. Trends Microbiol. 10: 401–405. , &
- 2000. Kin selection and parasite evolution: higher and lower virulence with hard and soft selection. Q. Rev. Biol. 75: 261–275. , , , &
- 1991. On conditions for evolutionary stability for a continuously varying character. Am. Nat. 138: 37–50.
- 2006. Insights from Price's equation into evolutionary epidemiology. In: Disease Evolution: Models, Concepts, and Data Analyses (Z.Feng, U.Dieckmann & S.A.Levin, eds), pp. 23–44. Vol. 71 of DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, American Mathematical Society. &
- 2007. Applying population-genetic models in theoretical evolutionary epidemiology. Ecol. Lett. 10: 876–888. &
- 2004. A general theory for the evolutionary dynamics of virulence. Am. Nat. 163: E40–E63. &
- 2004. Trade-off geometries and frequency-dependent selection. Am. Nat. 164: 765–778. &
- Dieckmann, U., Metz, J.A.J., Sabelis, M.W. & Sigmund, K. (eds) 2002. Adaptive Dynamics of Infectious Diseases. In Pursuit of Virulence Management. Cambridge Studies in Adaptive Dynamics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2007. Clinical significance of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 replication fitness. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 20: 550–578. &
- 1988. Molecular quasi-species. J. Phys. Chem. 92: 6881–6891. , &
- 1996. Models of parasite virulence. Q. Rev. Biol. 71: 37–78.
- 2007. Variation in HIV-1 set-point viral load: epidemiological analysis and an evolutionary hypothesis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104: 17441–17446. , , , &
- 2001. Genetic drift and within-host metapopulation dynamics of HIV-1 infection. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98: 6975–6980. , , &
- 2009. Evolutionary epidemiology and the dynamics of adaptation. Evolution, in press. doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2009.00609.x. &
- 2001. Imperfect vaccines and the evolution of pathogen virulence. Nature 414: 751–756. , , &
- 2007. The relation between multilocus population genetics and social evolution theory. Am. Nat. 169: 207–226. , &
- 1997. Dynamics of adaptation and evolutionary branching. Phys. Rev. Lett. 78: 2024–2027. , , &
- 2004. Optimizing within-host viral fitness: infected cell lifespan and virion production rate. J. Theor. Biol. 229: 281–288. , &
- 2004. HIV and SIV CTL escape: implications for vaccine design. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 4: 630–640. &
- 1996. Darwinian adaptation, population genetics and the streetcar theory of evolution. J. Math. Biol. 34: 511–532.
- 2000. The role of cationic antimicrobial peptides in innate host defences. Trends Microbiol. 8: 402–410. &
- 1992. Convergent and divergent sequence evolution in the surface envelope glycoprotein of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 within a single infected patient. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89: 4835–4839. , , , &
- 2005. Virus evolution within patients increases pathogenicity. J. Theor. Biol. 232: 17–26. , &
- 2003. A quasispecies approach to viral evolution in the context of an adaptive immune system. Microbes Infect. 5: 1397–1405.
- 2003. Linking dynamical and population genetic models of persistent viral infection. Am. Nat. 162: 14–28. , , , &
- 2004. A regulatory trade-off as a source of strain variation in the species Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 186: 5614–5620. , , &
- 2006. HIV evolutionary dynamics within and among hosts. AIDS Rev. 8: 125–140. , &
- 1994. The evolution of virulence in parasites and pathogens - reconciliation between two competing hypotheses. J. Theor. Biol. 169: 253–265. &
- 1994. Short-sighted evolution and the virulence of pathogenic microorganisms. Trends Microbiol. 2: 76–81. &
- 1962. Theory of fitness in a heterogeneous environment. I. The fitness set and adaptive function. Am. Nat. 96: 361–373.
- 2004. Dynamics of HIV-1 recombination in its natural target cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101: 4204–4209. , , &
- 2004. Immunity promotes virulence evolution in a malaria model. PLoS. Biol. 2: 1286–1292. &
- 1973. The logic of animal conflict. Nature 246: 15–18. &
- 2006. Cancer as an evolutionary and ecological process. Nat. Rev. Cancer 6: 924–935. , , &
- 2008. Linking within- and between-host dynamics in the evolutionary epidemiology of infectious diseases. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23: 511–517. , &
- 2000. Virus Dynamics: Mathematical Principles of Immunology and Virology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 1990. The evolutionary dynamics of HIV-1 quasispecies and the development of immunodeficiency disease. AIDS 4: 1095–1103. , &
- 2001. Humans as the world's greatest evolutionary force. Science 293: 1786–1790.
- 2002. Modelling viral and immune system dynamics. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 2: 28–36.
- 1970. Selection and covariance. Nature 227: 520–521.
- 1977. General concepts on the evolutionary biology of parasites. Evolution 31: 405–420.
- 2006. Evolution of intrahost HIV-1 genetic diversity during chronic infection. Evolution 60: 1165–1176. , , &
- 2007. Helicobacter pylori evolution and phenotypic diversification in a changing host. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 5: 441–452. &
- 2007. HIV diversity, recombination and disease progression: how does fitness “fit” into the puzzle? AIDS Rev. 9: 75–87. , , &
- 2007. Compartmentalization of the gut viral reservoir in HIV-1 infected patients. Retrovirology 4: 87. , , , , &
- 2005. Quasispecies theory in the context of population genetics. BMC Evol. Biol. 5: 44.