Current address: Department of Biology and the Roy J. Carver Center for Comparative Genomics, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA.
Can phosphorus limitation contribute to the maintenance of sex? A test of a key assumption
Version of Record online: 23 APR 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 6, pages 1359–1363, June 2009
How to Cite
NEIMAN, M., THEISEN, K. M., MAYRY, M. E. and KAY, A. D. (2009), Can phosphorus limitation contribute to the maintenance of sex? A test of a key assumption. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 1359–1363. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01748.x
M. Neiman, Department of Biology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA.
- Issue online: 5 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 23 APR 2009
- Received 16 February 2009; revised 19 March 2009; accepted 23 March 2009
- 2007. Evolution of duplicate gene expression in polyploid and hybrid plants. J. Hered. 98: 136–141.
- 1998. Why sex and recombination? Science 281: 1985–1990. &
- 1982. The Masterpiece of Nature. Croon Helm, London.
- 1985. Patterns in plant parthenogenesis. Experientia 41: 1255–1264.
- 2005. Economy, speed and size matter: evolutionary forces driving genome miniaturization and expansion. Ann. Bot. 95: 147–175.
- 2004. Patterns and sources of variation in Daphnia phosphorus content in nature. Aquat. Ecol. 38: 433–440. , &
- 1995. Diverse, endemic and polyphyletic clones in mixed populations of a freshwater snail. J. Evol. Biol. 8: 385–398. &
- 2006. Biological stoichiometry: a chemical bridge between ecosystem ecology and evolutionary biology. Am. Nat. 168: S25–S35.
- 1996. Organism size, life history, and N:P stoichiometry. Bioscience 46: 674–684. , , &
- 2000. The evolution of ecosystem processes: growth rate and elemental stoichiometry of a key herbivore in temperate and arctic habitats. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 845–853. , , &
- 2003. Growth rate–stoichiometry couplings in diverse biota. Ecol. Lett. 6: 936–943. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2006. Ontogenetic coupling of growth rate with RNA and P contents in five species of Drosophila. Funct. Ecol. 20: 846–856. , , &
- 2007. Global analysis of nitrogen and phosphorus limitation of primary producers in freshwater, marine and terrestrial ecosystems. Ecol. Lett. 12: 1135–1142. , , , , , , , , &
- 2006. Threshold elemental ratios of carbon and phosphorus in aquatic consumers. Ecol. Lett. 9: 774–779. , , , , , &
- 2002. Functional and ecological significance of rDNA intergenic spacer variation in a clonal organism under divergent selection for production rate. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 2373–2379. , , , &
- 2008. Do phosphorus requirements for RNA limit genome size in crustacean zooplankton? Genome 51: 685–691. , &
- 1997. Evidence for a cost of sex in the freshwater snail Potamopyrgus antipodarum. Evolution 78: 452–460. , , &
- 2003. Genetic variation in sexual and clonal lineages of a freshwater snail. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 79: 165–181. , , &
- 1993. Classification of hypotheses on the advantage of amphimixis. J. Hered. 84: 372–387.
- 2003. A microfluorometric method for quantifying RNA and DNA in terrestrial insects. J. Ins. Sci. 3: 1–7. , , &
- 1985. Nutrient scarcity as an evolutionary cause of haploidy. Am. Nat. 125: 692–701.
- 2002. Temporal and spatial distributions of parasites and sex in a freshwater snail. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4: 219–226. &
- 1978. The Evolution of Sex. Cambridge University Press, London.
- 2004. Pleistocene glaciation is implicated in the phylogeographical structure of Potamopyrgus antipodarum, a New Zealand snail. Mol. Ecol. 13: 3085–3098. &
- 2005. Variation in asexual lineage age in Potamopyrgus antipodarum, a New Zealand snail. Evolution 59: 1945–1952. , &
- 2006. Host ploidy, parasitism and immune defense in a coevolutionary snail-trematode system. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 42–48. &
- 2000. Polyploid incidence and evolution. Ann. Rev. Genet. 34: 401–437. &
- 2008. Dosage compensation by gene-copy silencing in a triploid hybrid fish. Curr. Biol. 18: 1344–1348. , &
- 2003. Genetic changes within an aphid clone: homogenization of rDNA intergenic spacers after insecticide selection. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 79: 101–105. , &
- 2002. Ecological Stoichiometry: The Biology of Elements from Molecules to the Biosphere. Princeton University Press, Princeton. &
- 1987. Cytology and Evolution in Parthenogenesis. CRC Press, Boca Raton. , &
- 2006. Linking biochemical and elemental composition in freshwater and marine crustacean zooplankton. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 327: 233–246.
- 2007. The evolution of sex: empirical insights into the roles of epistasis and drift. Nat. Rev. Genet. 8: 139–149. &
- 1992. Parthenogenesis, sex, and chromosomes in Potamopyrgus. J. Moll. Stud. 58: 93–107.
- 2005. The functional significance of ribosomal (r)DNA variation: impacts on the evolutionary ecology of organisms. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 36: 219–242. , , , , &
- 1999. A pluralistic approach to sex and recombination. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 1003–1012. , &
- 1975. Sex and Evolution. Princeton University Press, Princeton.