Phenotypic divergence but not genetic distance predicts assortative mating among species of a cichlid fish radiation
Version of Record online: 22 JUN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 8, pages 1679–1694, August 2009
How to Cite
STELKENS, R. B. and SEEHAUSEN, O. (2009), Phenotypic divergence but not genetic distance predicts assortative mating among species of a cichlid fish radiation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 1679–1694. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01777.x
- Issue online: 13 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 22 JUN 2009
- Received 21 December 2008; revised 19 March 2009, 27 April 2009; accepted 5 May 2009
- 2004. Differences in sounds made by courting males of three closely related Lake Malawi cichlid species. J. Fish Biol. 65: 1358–1371. , , &
- 2007. Adaptive radiation of shrubby tarweeds (Deinandra) in the Californian Islands parallels diversification of the Hawaiian silversword alliance (Compositae-Madiinae). Am. J. Bot. 94: 237–248.
- 2001. Divergent sexual selection enhances reproductive isolation in sticklebacks. Nature 411: 944–948.
- 2002. How sensory drive can promote speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 571–577.
- 2000. Specialized feeding behavior influences both ecological specialization and assortative mating in sympatric host races of pea aphids. Am. Nat. 156: 606–621. &
- 1998. Morphometrics of trophic osteology in the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Copeia 4: 827–838. &
- 2007. Genetic divergence and hybrid speciation. Evolution 61: 1773–1780. &
- 2007. Geometric morphometric analyses provide evidence for the adaptive character of the Tanganyikan cichlid fish radiations. Evolution 61: 560–578. , , &
- 2004. Speciation, Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. &
- 1984. Interspecific fertile hybrids of haplochromine cichlidae (Teleostei) and their possible importance for speciation. Neth. J. Zool. 34: 503–538. &
- 1987. Multivariate Analysis of Ecological Communities. Chapman and Hall, London. &
- 1951. Genetics and the Origin of Species. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 1989. Reproductive isolation as a consequence of adaptive divergence in Drosophila-Pseudoobscura. Evolution 43: 1308–1311.
- 2003. Speciation along environmental gradients. Nature 421: 259–264. &
- 1992. Signals, signal conditions, and the direction of evolution. Am. Nat. 139: S125–S153.
- 2006. Ecological speciation in the East Maui-endemic Dubautia (Asteraceae) species. Evolution 60: 1777–1792. , , , , , &
- 1998. Isolating a role for natural selection in speciation: host adaptation and sexual isolation in Neochlamisus bebbianae leaf beetles. Evolution 52: 1744–1759.
- 2006. Ecological divergence exhibits consistently positive associations with reproductive isolation across disparate taxa. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103: 3209–3213. , &
- 2003. Perspective: models of speciation: what have we learned in 40 years? Evolution 57: 2197–2215.
- 2004. Fitness Landscapes and the Origin of Species. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 1998. On the evolution of premating isolation after a founder event. Am. Nat. 152: 706–716. &
- 2007. Age of Cichlids: new dates for ancient lake fish radiations. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24: 1269–1282. , , , , , &
- 1989. The taxonomic status and phylogenetic relationships of Pseudocrenilabrus Fowler (Teleostei, Cichlidae). Ichthyological Bulletins of the J.L.B. Smith Institute of Ichthyology 54: 1–16
- 2000. Rapid evolution of reproductive isolation in the wild: evidence from introduced salmon. Science 290: 516–518. , , , &
- 2002. Adaptive divergence and the balance between selection and gene flow: lake and stream stickleback in the misty system. Evolution 56: 1199–1216. , &
- 2005. Local adaptation but not geographical separation promotes assortative mating in a snail. Anim. Behav. 70: 1209–1219. , &
- 1961. The Fishes of Northern Rhodesia. A Check List of Indigenous Species. Luska, Zambia.
- 2001. Reproductive isolation caused by colour pattern mimicry. Nature 411: 302–305. , , &
- 2008. Hybrid trait speciation and Heliconius butterflies. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 363: 3047–3054. , , &
- 2005. An extant cichlid fish radiation emerged in an extinct Pleistocene lake. Nature 435: 90–95. , , , , , , &
- 2003. Morphometric analysis on ecomorphologically equivalent cichlid species from Lakes Malawi and Tanganyika. J. Zool. 260: 153–157. , , &
- 2005. Phylogeography and speciation in the Pseudocrenilabrus philander species complex in Zambian Rivers. Hydrobiologia 542: 221–233. , , , &
- 2007. A genetically explicit model of speciation by sensory drive within a continuous population in aquatic environments. BMC Evol. Biol. 7: Article No. 99. , , &
- 2006. A direct assay of female choice in cichlids: all the eggs in one basket. J. Fish Biol. 68: 373–384. , &
- 1980. A multifactorial genetic investigation of speciation theory using Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 34: 730–737. , &
- 2008. A single mitochondrial haplotype and nuclear genetic differentiation in sympatric colour morphs of a riverine cichlid fish. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 362–367. , , , , &
- 1993. Female choice of multiple male criteria in guppies – interacting effects of dominance, coloration and courtship. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 32: 415–420.
- 1999. Interactions among quantitative traits in the course of sympatric speciation. Nature 400: 351–354. &
- 2008. Evolution of phenotypic clusters through competition and local adaptation along an environmental gradient. Evolution 62: 807–822. , &
- 2006. Sensory drive in cichlid speciation. Am. Nat. 167: 947–954. , , &
- 2007. Ecological divergence associated with mating system causes nearly complete reproductive isolation between sympatric Mimulus species. Evolution 61: 68–82. &
- 1963. Animal Species and Evolution. Belknap, Cambridge.
- 2004. Evidence for ecology’s role in speciation. Nature 429: 294–298. , , , , , , &
- 1998. Genetic variation and reproductive isolation among phenotypically divergent amphipod populations. Limnol. Oceanogr. 43: 1162–1169. &
- 2003. Sexual isolation evolves faster than hybrid inviability in a diverse and sexually dimorphic genus of fish (Percidae: Etheostoma). Evolution 57: 317–327.
- 1999. The effects of selection and bottlenecks on male mating success in peripheral isolates. Am. Nat. 153: 437–444. , &
- 1992. Male-male competition and access to females in the Swordtail Xiphophorus nigrensis. Copeia 4: 980–986. , &
- 1987. Molecular Evolutionary Genetics. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 1995. Male size, spawning pit size and female mate choice in a lekking cichlid fish. Anim. Behav. 50: 1587–1599.
- 1995. Reinforcement in speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10: 492–492.
- 1999. Reinforcement and other consequences of sympatry. Heredity 83: 503–508.
- 2007. Divergent host plant adaptation and reproductive isolation between ecotypes of Timema cristinae walking sticks. Am. Nat. 169: 151–162.
- 2006. Ecological divergence promotes the evolution of cryptic reproductive isolation. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 273: 991–997. &
- 2005. Morphological divergence and origin of sympatric populations of European whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus L.) in Lake Femund, Norway. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 683–702. , , , &
- 2005. Female preference for conspecific males based on olfactory cues in a Lake Malawi cichlid fish. Biol. Lett. 1: 411–414. , , &
- 2001. Correlated evolution of morphology and vocal signal structure in Darwin’s finches. Nature 409: 185–188.
- 2003. Components of reproductive isolation between the monkeyflowers Mimulus lewisii and M. cardinalis (Phrymaceae). Evolution 57: 1520–1534. , &
- 2007. Assortative mating in poison-dart frogs based on an ecologically important trait. Evolution 61: 2253–2259. &
- 2001. Evolutionary convergence of body shape and trophic morphology in cichlids from Lake Tanganyika. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 325–332. &
- 2003. Divergent environments and population bottlenecks fail to generate premating isolation in Drosophila pseudoobscura. Evolution 57: 2557–2565.
- 2005. Ecological speciation. Ecol. Lett. 8: 336–352. &
- 1998. Single founder-flush events and the evolution of reproductive isolation. Evolution 52: 1850–1855. , &
- 2000. Natural selection and parallel speciation in sympatric sticklebacks. Science 287: 306–308. , , &
- 2001. Genetic and ecological divergence of a monophyletic cichlid species pair under fully sympatric conditions in Lake Ejagham, Cameroon. Mol. Ecol. 10: 1471–1488. , , , , &
- 1996. Ecological speciation in postglacial fishes. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 351: 807–814.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2001. Ecology and the origin of species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 372–380.
- 1993. Honesty, perception and population divergence in sexually selected traits. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 253: 117–122. &
- 2006. African cichlid fish: a model system in adaptive radiation research. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 273: 1987–1998.
- 1998. The effect of male coloration on female mate choice in closely related Lake Victoria cichlids (Haplochromis nyererei complex). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 42: 1–8. &
- 1997. Cichlid fish diversity threatened by eutrophication that curbs sexual selection. Science 277: 1808–1811. , &
- 2008. Speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fish. Nature 455: U620–U623. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2001. Beyond reinforcement: the evolution of premating isolation by direct selection on preferences and postmating, prezygotic incompatibilities. Evolution 55: 1909–1920.
- 2004. The evolution of premating isolation: local adaptation and natural and sexual selection against hybrids. Evolution 58: 913–924.
- 1944. Tempo and Mode in Evolution. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 1991. Pseudocrenilabrus. In: Check-List of Freshwater Fishes of Africa (CLOFFA), Vol. 4 (J.Daget, J.P.Gosse, G.G.Teugels & D.F.E.T.Van Den Audenaerde, eds), pp. 394–398. MRAC, Tervuren and ORSTOM, Paris, Brussels.
- 2008. A test of fitness consequences of hybridization in sibling species of Lake Victoria cichlid fish. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 480–491. , , &
- 1993. Population structure in Daphnia obtusa: quantitative genetic and allozymic variation. Genetics 135: 367–374.
- 2006. Divergent selection on opsins drives incipient speciation in Lake Victoria cichlids. PLoS Biol. 4: 2244–2251. , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2001. Theory and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 330–343. , &
- 2006. Strong assortative mating between allopatric sticklebacks as a by-product of adaptation to different environments. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 273: 911–916. &