Male personality, life-history strategies and reproductive success in a promiscuous mammal
Article first published online: 23 JUN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 8, pages 1599–1607, August 2009
How to Cite
RÉALE, D., MARTIN, J., COLTMAN, D. W., POISSANT, J. and FESTA-BIANCHET, M. (2009), Male personality, life-history strategies and reproductive success in a promiscuous mammal. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 1599–1607. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01781.x
- Issue published online: 13 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 23 JUN 2009
- Received 18 January 2009; revised 25 March 2009; accepted 12 April 2009
- 1994. Sexual Selection. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 2007. Maternal effects on docility in Limousin cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 85: 650–657. , , &
- 2007. Future directions in behavioural syndromes research. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 274: 755–761.
- 2008. Are animal personality traits linked to life-history productivity? Trends Ecol. Evol. 23: 361–368. &
- 2005. Genetic analysis of emotional reactivity in sheep: effects of the genotypes of the lambs and of their dams. Genet. Sel. Evol. 37: 381–401. , , , , &
- 2007. The interaction between personality, offspring fitness and food abundance in North American red squirrels. Ecol. Lett. 10: 1094–1104. , &
- 1997. Selection Indices and Prediction of Genetic Merit in Animal Breeding. CAB International, Wallingford, U.K.
- 2005. How do misassigned paternities affect the estimation of heritability in the wild? Mol. Ecol. 14: 2839–2850. &
- 2002. Age-dependent sexual selection in bighorn rams. Proc. R. Soc. Lond, B Biol. Sci. 269: 165–172. , , &
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426: 655–658. , , , , &
- 2005. Selection and genetic (co)variance in bighorn sheep. Evolution, 59: 1372–1382. , , &
- 2007. The R Book. John Wiley, New York.
- 2005. Natural selection and animal personality. Behaviour 142: 1159–1184. &
- 2004. Fitness consequences of avian personalities in a fluctuating environment. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 271: 847–852. , , &
- 2007. Do individual females differ intrinsically in their propensity to engage extra-pair copulations? PLoS ONE 9: e952.
- 2004. Maternal effects influence the sexual behavior of sons and daughters in the zebra finch. Evolution 58: 2574–2583. , &
- 2006. ASREML User Guide. Release 2.0. VSN International, Hemel Hempstead, UK. , , &
- 1996. Female mating preference for bold males in the guppy, Poecilia reticulata. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93: 10262–10267. &
- 2005. Avian personalities: characterization and epigenesis. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 29: 137–150. &
- 1996. Alternative reproductive strategies and tactics: diversity within sexes. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11: 92–98.
- 1997. Mating in bighorn sheep: frequent male reproduction via a high-risk unconventional tactic. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 41: 33–48. &
- 1993. Effects of body size, population density, and maternal characteristics on age at first reproduction in bighorn ewes. Can. J. Zool. 71: 2509–2517. , , &
- 1999. Coping style in animals: current status in behavior and stress-physiology. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 23: 925–935. , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters in natural populations using the ‘animal model’. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. Biol. Sci. 359: 873–890.
- 2001. Personality and potential conceptions: mating success in a modern Western male sample. Pers. Individ. Dif. 31: 675–688. &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. &
- 1998. Statistical confidence for likelihood-based paternity inference in natural populations. Mol. Ecol. 7: 639–655. , , &
- 1997. CSF 5-HIAA, testosterone, and sociosexual behaviors in free-ranging male rhesus macaques in the mating season. Psychol. Res. 72: 89–102. , , , , &
- 2005. An evolutionary approach to the extraversion continuum. Evol. Hum. Behav. 26: 363–373.
- 2007. The evolutionary ecology of individual phenotypic plasticity in wild populations. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 831–844. , &
- 2004. Additive and nonadditive genetic variation in avian personality traits. Heredity 93: 496–503. , , &
- 2005. Contribution of genetics to the study of animal personalities: a review of case studies. Behaviour 142: 1191–1212. , , , &
- 2008. Personality is associated with extrapair paternity in great tits, Parus major. Anim. Behav. 76: 555–563. , , &
- 2006. Sexual selection and social rank in bighorn rams. Anim. Behav. 71: 649–655. &
- 2007. Selection on heritable seasonal phenotypic plasticity of body mass. Evolution 61: 1969–1979. , , , &
- 2007. The evolutionary genetics of personality. Eur. J. Pers. 21: 549–587. , &
- 2000. Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-PLUS. Springer, New York. &
- 2008. Quantitative genetics and sex-specific selection on sexually dimorphic traits in bighorn sheep. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 275: 623–628. , , , &
- 2006. Implications of the difference between true and predicted breeding values for the study of natural selection and micro-evolution. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 309–320.
- 2005. Gene flow maintains a large genetic difference in clutch size at a small spatial scale. Nature 433: 65–68. &
- R Core Development Team 2006. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna.
- 2003. Predator-induced natural selection on temperament in bighorn ewes. Anim. Behav. 65: 463–470. &
- 2000. Consistency of temperament in bighorn ewes and correlates with behaviour and life history. Anim. Behav. 60: 589–597. , , &
- 2007. Integrating animal temperament within ecology and evolution. Biol. Rev. 82: 291–318. , , , &
- 1997. Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2004. Behavioral syndromes: an integrative overview. Q. Rev. Biol. 79: 241–277. , , &
- 2008. Fitness consequences of personality: a meta-analysis. Behav. Ecol. 19: 448–455. &
- 2007. Growth-mortality tradeoffs and ‘personality traits’ in animals. Ecol. Lett. 10: 355–363.
- 2002. Selection, structure and the heritability of behaviour. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 277–289. , &
- 2005. Direct genetic, maternal and litter effects on behaviour in German shepherd dogs in Sweden. Livest. Prod. Sci. 93: 32–42. , &
- 2004. Sibship reconstruction from genetic data with typing errors. Genetics 166: 1963–1979.
- 1994. Shyness and boldness in humans and other animals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 9: 442–446. , , &
- 2007. Life-history trade-offs favour the evolution of animal personalities. Nature 447: 581–584. , , &