Relative fitness of females and hermaphrodites in a natural gynodioecious population of wild radish, Raphanus sativus L. (Brassicaceae): comparison based on molecular genotyping
Version of Record online: 12 AUG 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 10, pages 2012–2019, October 2009
How to Cite
MIYAKE, K., MIYAKE, T., TERACHI, T. and YAHARA, T. (2009), Relative fitness of females and hermaphrodites in a natural gynodioecious population of wild radish, Raphanus sativus L. (Brassicaceae): comparison based on molecular genotyping. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 2012–2019. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01808.x
- Issue online: 14 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 12 AUG 2009
- Received 18 September 2008; revised 18 June 2009; accepted 29 June 2009
- 2001. Neither vegetative nor reproductive advantages account for high frequency of male-steriles in southern Spanish gynodioecious Daphne laureola (Thymelaeaceae). Am. J. Bot. 88: 1016–1024. &
- 1992. Sequence and transcript analysis of the Nco2.5 Ogura-specific fragment correlated with cytoplasmic male-sterility in Brassica cybrids. Mol. Gen. Genet. 235: 340–348. , , , , &
- 1988. Gynodioecy in Beta vulgaris. Oecol. Plantarum 9: 61–66. , , &
- 1993. Consequences of male sterility in Phacelia dubia. Evol. Trends Plants 7: 15–22.
- 1981. A further study of the problem of the maintenance of females in gynodioecious species. Heredity 46: 27–39.
- 1978. A model for the evolution of dioecy and gynodioecy. Am. Nat. 112: 975–997. &
- 1998. The maintenance of nucleocytoplasmic polymorphism in a metapopulation: the case of gynodioecy. Am. Nat. 152: 59–70. , &
- 1877. The Different Forms of Flowers on Plants of the Same Species. Murray, London.
- 1989. Patterns of water-use and the tissue water relations in the dioecious shrub, Salix arctica: the physiological basis for habitat partitioning between the sexes. Oecologia 79: 332–343. &
- 1999. Sexual dimorphism in physiology and morphology. In: Gender and Sexual Dimorphism in Flowering Plants (M.A.Geber, T.E.Dawson & L.F.Delph, eds), pp. 175–215. Springer, New York. &
- 1981. Mathematical study of the evolution of gynodioecy with cytoplasmic inheritance under the effect of a nuclear restorer gene. Genetics 99: 169–181. , &
- 1990. Sex-differential resource allocation patterns in the subdioecious shrub Hebe subalpina. Ecology 71: 1342–1351.
- 2003. Sexual dimorphism in gender plasticity and its consequences for breeding system evolution. Evol. Dev. 5: 34–39.
- 1999. Seed provisioning in gynodieocious Silene acaulis (Caryophyllaceae). Am. J. Bot. 86: 140–144. , &
- 2007. Merging theory and mechanism in studies of gynodioecy. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22: 17–24. , &
- 1997. Gynodioecy in Plantago maritima L.; no compensation for loss of male function. Acta Bot. Neerl. 46: 193–206. &
- 2007. Modelling the maintenance of male-fertile cytoplasm in a gynodioecious population. Heredity 99: 349–356. , , &
- 1989. The evolutionary dynamics of cytoplasmic male sterility. Am. Nat. 133: 345–376.
- 1987. A conflict between two sexes, females and hermaphrodites. In: The Evolution of Sex and its Consequences (S.C.Stearns, ed), pp. 245–260. Brikhauser, Basel, Boston. &
- 1991. Nuclear-cytoplasmic male sterility: single-point equilibria versus limit cycles. Am. Nat. 137: 498–514. , &
- 1994. Ogura cytoplasmic male-sterility (CMS)-associated orf138 is translated into a mitochondrial-membrane polypeptide in male-sterile Brassica cybrids. Mol. Gen. Genet. 243: 540–547. , , &
- 2003. Genetic characterization of a pentatricopeptide repeat protein gene, orf687, that restores fertility in the cytoplasmic male-sterile Kosena radish. Plant J. 34: 407–415. , , , , , , , &
- 1994. Organ-specific reduction in the abundance of a mitochondrial protein accompanies fertility restoration in cytoplasmic male-sterile radish. Plant Mol. Biol. 26: 935–946. &
- 1941. Male sterility in natural populations of hermaphrodite plants. New Phytol. 40: 56–63.
- 2005. Sexual differences in cold acclimation and freezing tolerance development in sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) ecotypes. Plant Sci. 168: 1365–1370. , , &
- 1975. The maintenance of gynodioecy and androdioecy in angiosperms. Genetica 45: 325–339.
- 2004. Variation of female frequency and cytoplasmic male-sterility gene frequency among natural gynodioecious populations of wild radish (Raphanus sativus). Mol. Ecol. 13: 2459–2464. , &
- 1968. Studies on the new male sterility in Japanese radish, with special reference to the utilization of this sterility towards the practical raising of hybrid seeds. Mem. Fac. Agr. Kagoshima Univ. 6: 36–78.
- 2003. Effects of male sterility on reproductive traits in gynodioecious plants: a meta-analysis. Oecologia 135: 1–9. , , &
- 2001. Sequence analysis on the mitochondrial orfB locus in normal and Ogura male-sterile cytoplasms from wild and cultivated radishes. Curr. Genet. 40: 276–281. , &
- 1987. A convenient screening test system and a model for thermal germination responses of wild plant seeds: behavior of model and real seeds in the system. Plant Cell Environ. 10: 587–598.
- 1994. Molecular and biological studies on male sterile cytoplasm in Cruciferae. II. The origin of Ogura male sterile cytoplasm inferred from the segregation pattern of male sterility in the F1 progeny of wild and cultivated radishes (Raphanus sativus L.). Euphytica 80: 201–206. &
- 2008. Genetic and molecular analysis of the restoration of fertility (Rf) genes for Ogura male sterility from a Japanese wild radish (Raphanus sativus var. hortensis f. raphanistroides Makino). Euphytica 164: 395–404. , , , , &