Present address: H. Dingle, School of Biological Sciences, University of Queensland, St Lucia 4072, Qld, Australia.
Influence of genetic architecture on contemporary local evolution in the soapberry bug, Jadera haematoloma: artificial selection on beak length
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 10, pages 2031–2040, October 2009
How to Cite
DINGLE, H., CARROLL, S. P. and FAMULA, T. R. (2009), Influence of genetic architecture on contemporary local evolution in the soapberry bug, Jadera haematoloma: artificial selection on beak length. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 2031–2040. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01819.x
- Issue published online: 14 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2009
- Received 8 April 2009; revised 28 June 2009; accepted 5 July 2009
- 2003. Evolutionarily enlightened management. Biol. Cons. 111: 115–123. , , , &
- 1986. Pervasive themes in insect life cycle strategies. In: The Evolution of Insect Life Cycles (F.Taylor & R.Karban, eds), pp. 261–275. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- 2001. Phenotypic evolution and the genetic architecture underlying photoperiodic time measurement. J. Insect Physiol. 47: 809–820. &
- 2005. Epistasis underlying a fitness trait within a natural population of the pitcher-plant mosquito, Wyeomyia smithii. Genetics 169: 485–488. , &
- 2007. Natives adapting to invasive species: ecology, genes, and the sustainability of conservation. Ecol. Res. 22: 892–901.
- 2008. Facing change: forms and foundations of contemporary adaptation to biotic invasions. Mol. Ecol. 17: 361–372.
- 1992. Host race radiation in the soapberry bug: natural history with the history. Evolution 46: 1052–1069. &
- 2008. Driving phenotypic variability with genetic and environmental heterogeneity: adaptation as a first principle of conservation management. In: Conservation Biology – Evolution in Action (S.P.Carroll & C.W.Fox, eds), pp. 181–198. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1997. Genetic differentiation of fitness-associated traits among rapidly evolving populations of the soapberry bug. Evolution 51: 1182–1188. , &
- 1998. Rapidly evolving adaptations in host ecology and nutrition in the soapberry bug. Evol. Ecol. 12: 955–968. , &
- 2001. Genetic architecture of adaptive differentiation in evolving host races of the soapberry bug, Jadera haematoloma. Genetica 112–113: 257–272. , , &
- 2003a. Evolution of cryptic flight morph and life history differences during host race radiation in the soapberry bug, Jadera haematoloma Herrich-Schaeffer (Hemiptera: Rhopalidae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 96: 135–143. , , &
- 2003b. Rapid appearance of epistasis during adaptive divergence following colonization. Proc. Biol. Sci. 270: S80–S83. , &
- 2005. And the beak shall inherit – evolution in response to invasion. Ecol. Lett. 8: 944–951. , , , , &
- 2001. The evolution of migratory syndromes in insects. In: Insect Movement: Mechanisms and Consequences (I.P.Woiwood, D.R.Reynolds & C.D.Thomas, eds), pp. 159–181. CABI, Wallingford, U.K.
- 2002. Hormonal mediation of insect life histories. In: Hormones, Brain and Behavior, Vol. 3, Ch. 41 (D.W.Pfaff, A.M.Etgen, S.E.Fahrbach & R.T.Rubin, eds), pp. 237–279. Academic Press (Elsevier), San Diego, California.
- 1997. Juvenile hormone as a mediator of phenotypic plasticity in insect life histories. Arch. Insect Biochem. Physiol. 35: 359–373. &
- 1988. Responses to selection among life-history traits in a nonmigratory population of milkweed bugs (Oncopeltus fasciatus). Evolution 42: 79–92. , &
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. Longman, Essex, U.K. &
- 2005. Using the quantitative genetic threshold model for inferences between and within species. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 360: 1427–1434.
- 1984. Stochastic relaxation, Gibbs distributions and Bayesian restoration of images. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 6: 721–741. &
- 1992. Evaluating the accuracy of sampling-based approaches to calculating posterior moments. In: Bayesian Statistics 4 (J.M.Bernardo, J.O.Berger, A.P.Dawid & A.F.M.Smith, eds), pp. 169–193. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1996. Parallel rise and fall of melanic peppered moths in America and Britain. J. Heredity 87: 351–357. , &
- 1995. Unpredictability of correlated response to selection: pleiotropy and sampling interact. Evolution 49: 685–693.
- 2005. Rapid evolution and the convergence of ecological and evolutionary time. Ecol. Lett. 8: 1114–1127. , , , &
- 1999. The pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53: 1637–1653. &
- 2008. Rapid, large-scale evolutionary divergence in morphology and performance associated traits with exploitation of a different dietary resource. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 105: 4792–4795. , , , , , , &
- 1996. Computing and graphing highest density regions. Am. Stat. 50: 120–126.
- 2008. hdrcde: highest density regions and conditional density estimation. R Package Version 2.09. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, URL http://www.robhyndman.info/Rlibrary/hdrcde (last accessed 7 August 2009).
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1225–1241. &
- 1997. Population differences in responses of red-legged frogs (Rana aurora) to introduced bullfrogs. Ecology 78: 1752–1760. &
- 2004. How interactions between ecology and evolution influence contemporary invasion dynamics. Ecology 85: 2061–2070.
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, Massachusetts. &
- 1998. Melanism: Evolution in Action. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2003. Invasional ‘meltdown’ on an oceanic island. Ecol. Lett. 6: 812–817. , &
- 2005. The genetic theory of adaptation: a brief history. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6: 119–127.
- 1986. Direct and correlated responses to selection among life history traits in milkweed bugs (Oncopeltus fasciatus). Evolution 40: 767–777. &
- 1989. Responses to selection on flight behavior in a migratory population of milkweed bugs (Oncopeltus fasciatus). Evolution 43: 1805–1808. &
- 2006. Invasion and the evolution of speed in toads. Nature 439: 803. , , &
- 2007. coda: output analysis and diagnostics for MCMC. R Package Version 0.13-4. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna (last accessed 10 August 2009). , , &
- 2007. The genetics and evolution of avian migration. Bioscience 57: 165–174.
- R Development Core Team 2005. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna. URL http://www.R-project.org (last accessed 7 August 2009).
- 2007. The evolution and genetics of migration in insects. Bioscience 57: 155–164. &
- 2005. The evolution of the phenotypic covariance matrix: evidence for selection and drift in Melanoplus. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 1104–1114. &
- 2007. Ecological and evolutionary insights from species invasions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22: 465–471. , , , , , , , , , &
- 1976. New reports of cyanolipids from sapindaceous plants. Biochem. Syst. Ecol. 4: 263–265. &
- 1993. Rapid human-induced evolution of insect-host associations. Nature 366: 681–683. , &
- 2007. boa: An R package for MCMC output convergence assessment and posterior inference. Journal of Statistical Software 21: 1–37.
- 2002. Likelihood, Bayesian, and MCMC methods in Quantitative Genetics. Springer, New York. &
- 1995. Bayesian inference in threshold models using Gibbs sampling. Genet. Sel. Evol. 27: 229–249. , , &
- 2006. Evolutionary responses of natives to introduced species: what do introductions tell us about natural communities? Ecol. Lett. 9: 357–374. , &
- 2001. Perspective: reverse evolution. Evolution 55: 653–660. &
- 2009. Experimental evolution reveals natural selection on standing genetic variation. Nat. Genet. 41: 251–257. , , , &
- 1998. Rapid evolution as an ecological process. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 329–332.
- 1996. Multiple-trait Gibbs sampler for animal models: flexible programs for Bayesian and likelihood-based (co)variance component inference. J. Anim. Sci. 74: 2586–2597. &
- 2008. Keeping up with a warming world; assessing the rate of adaptation to climate change. Proc. Biol. Sci. 275: 649–659.
- 2001. Enzyme profiles in two wing polymorphic soapberry bug populations (Jadera haematoloma: Rhopalidae). J. Insect Physiol. 46: 1365–1373. , &
- 2004. The endocrine regulation of wing polymorphism in insects: state of the art, recent surprises and future directions. Integr. Comp. Biol. 43: 607–616.
- 2006. Evolutionary genetics of juvenile hormone and ecdysteroid regulation in Gryllus: a case study in the microevolution of endocrine regulation. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part A Mol. Integr. Physiol. 144: 365–379.