Present address: Maarten Hofman, Evolutionary Ecology Group/Department of Biology, University of Antwerpen, Groenenborgerlaan 171, 2020 Antwerpen, Belgium.
The interaction of multiple environmental stressors affects adaptation to a novel habitat in the natterjack toad Bufo calamita
Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 11, pages 2267–2277, November 2009
How to Cite
ROGELL, B., HOFMAN, M., EKLUND, M., LAURILA, A. and HÖGLUND, J. (2009), The interaction of multiple environmental stressors affects adaptation to a novel habitat in the natterjack toad Bufo calamita. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 2267–2277. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01842.x
- Issue online: 22 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2009
- Received 17 July 2009; revised 19 August 2009; accepted 26 August 2009
- 2009. Dessication of rock pool habitats and its influence on population persistence in a Daphnia metacommunity. PLoS One 4: e4703. , &
- 2003. Patterns of natural selection on size at metamorphosis in water frogs. Evolution 57: 872–882. &
- 1984. Breeding pool characteristics and reproduction in an island population of natterjack toads, Bufo calamita Laur., at the Swedish west coast. Amphib-Reptil. 6: 137–142. &
- 1985. Habitat and other environmental characteristics of the natterjack toad (Bufo calamita Laur.) in Sweden. Br. J. Herpetol. 6: 419–424. &
- APHA. 1985. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 16th edn. American Public Health Association, Washington, DC.
- 1997. Intrinsic growth rates: an integration across taxa. Q. Rev. Biol. 76: 149–177.
- 2008. Mixed-effects modeling with crossed random effects for subjects and items. J. Mem. Lang. 59: 390–412. , &
- 2006. lme4: Linear Mixed-Effects Models Using S4 Classes. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL http://www.R-project.org. &
- 1985. Manual of Quantitative Genetics. McNaughton and Gunn, Ann Arbor, MI.
- 1983. The Natterjack Toad. Oxford University Press, London.
- 1985. Salt tolerance of natterjack toad (Bufo calamita) eggs and larvae from costal and inland populations in Britain. Herpetol. J. 1: 14–16.
- 1990. Factors affecting population fluctuations in larval and adult stages of the wood frog (Rana sylvatica). Ecology 71: 1599–1608.
- 1996. The importance of evolutionary constraints in ecological time scales. Evol. Ecol. 10: 423–431.
- 1992. Exchange of respiratory gases, ions, and water in amphibious and aquatic amphibians. In: Enviromental Physiology of the Amphibians (M.E.Feder & W.W.Burggren, eds), pp. 81–124. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , &
- 2004. Egg temperature modifies predator avoidance and the effects of the insecticide endosulfan on tadpoles of an Australian frog. J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 105–113.
- 2008. Q(st) meets the G matrix: the dimensionality of adaptive divergence in multiple correlated quantitative traits. Evolution 62: 1437–1449. &
- 1984. Quantitative genetics and developmental constraints on evolution by selection. J. Theor. Biol. 110: 155–171.
- 2008. Interactive and cumulative effects of multiple human stressors in marine systems. Ecol. Lett. 11: 1304–1315. , &
- 2007. The R book. Wiley, Chichester.
- 2005. Evolutionary responses to changing climate. Ecology 86: 1704–1714. , &
- 1997. Proximate mechanisms of phenotypic plasticity in amphibian metamorphosis. Am. Zool. 37: 172–184.
- 1977. Geographic Variation, Speciation, and Clines. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2001. Constraint to adaptive evolution in response to global warming. Science 294: 151–154. &
- 1988. The evolution of ecological speciation. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 19: 207–233. &
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Funct. Ecol. 21: 394–407. , , &
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Mol. Ecol. 17: 167–178. , , , &
- 2006. Developmental plasticity mirrors differences among taxa in spadefoot toad linking plasticity and diversity. Proc. Natl Assoc. Sci. USA 103: 19021–19026. &
- 2003. Local adaptation of an anuran amphibian to osmotically stressful environments. Evolution 57: 1889–1899. &
- 2004. Contrasting patterns of quantitative and neutral genetic variation in locally adapted populations of the natterjack toad, Bufo calamita. Evolution 58: 2343–2352. &
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16: 183–190.
- 1999. Maternal effects on offspring size: variation through early development of chinook salmon. Evolution 53: 1605–1611. , &
- 2008. Human influences on rates of phenotypic change in wild animal populations. Mol. Ecol. 17: 20–29. , &
- 2008. Data and theory point to mainly additive genetic variance for complex traits. PLoS Genet. 4: e1000008. , &
- 1991. Evolutionary Genetics and Environmental Stress. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2003. Low potential for climatic stress adaptation in a rainforest Drosophila species. Science 301: 100–102. , , &
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1225–1241. &
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain – body size allometry. Evolution 33: 402–416.
- 1980. The genetic covariance between characters maintained by pleiotropic mutations. Genetics 94: 203–215.
- 2002. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity and genetics of larval life histories in two Rana temporaria populations. Evolution 56: 617–627. , &
- 2007. The degree of adaptive phenotypic plasticity is correlated with the spatial environmental heterogeneity experienced by island populations of Rana temporaria. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 1288–1297. &
- 1996. Evolutionary significance of local genetic differentiation in plants. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27: 237–277. &
- 2001. Ecological consequences of recent climate change. Conserv. Biol. 15: 320–331.
- 1988. Genetic variation for larval anuran (Scaphiopus couchii) development time in an uncertain environment. Evolution 42: 763–773.
- 1983. The influence of the cost of growth on ectotherm metabolism. J. Theor. Biol. 101: 453–477.
- 2006. Invasion and the evolution of speed in toads. Nature 439: 803–803. , , &
- 2000. Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-PLUS. Springer, New York. &
- 2008. JAGS Version 1.0.3 Manual. URL http://www-fis.iarc.fr/~martyn/software/jags/.
- 2006. coda: Output Analysis and Diagnostics for MCMC. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL http://www.R-project.org , , &
- 2008. Are Q(ST)–F–ST comparisons for natural populations meaningful? Mol. Ecol. 17: 4782–4785. , , &
- R Development Core Team. 2006. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL http://www.R-project.org.
- 2007. Maternal effects and evolution at ecological time-scales. Funct. Ecol. 21: 408–421. &
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptations: what empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica 112: 183–198. &
- 1996. The evolution of genetic correlations: an analysis of patterns. Evolution 50: 1392–1403.
- 2001. Life History Evolution. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 1983. Theories of life-history evolution. Am. Zool. 23: 15–23.
- 2006. Lusitania revisited: a phylogeographic analysis of the natterjack toad Bufo calamita across its entire biogeographical range. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 39: 335–346. , &
- 1994. The effect of larval density on adult demograpfic traits in Ambystoma opacum. Ecology 75: 1383–1396.