Path analysis of natural selection via survival and fecundity across contrasting environments in Avena barbata
Article first published online: 12 OCT 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 12, pages 2458–2469, December 2009
How to Cite
LATTA, R. G. and McCAIN, C. (2009), Path analysis of natural selection via survival and fecundity across contrasting environments in Avena barbata. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 2458–2469. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01857.x
- Issue published online: 13 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 12 OCT 2009
- Received 3 February 2009; revised 8 September 2009; accepted 14 September 2009
- 1972. Evidence for coadaptation in Avena barbata. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 69: 3043. ., , &
- 2006. Amos 7 User’s Guide. Amos Development Corporation, Spring House, PA.
- 1983. Morphology, performance and fitness. Am. Zool. 23: 347–361.
- 1984. On the measurement of natural and sexual selection – theory. Evolution 38: 709–719. &
- 1994. Molecular Markers, Natural History and Evolution. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- 1980. Significance tests and goodness of fit in the analysis of covariance-structures. Psychol. Bull. 88: 588–606. &
- 1993. Alternative ways of assessing model fit. In: Testing Structural Equation Models (K.A.Bollen & J.S.Long, eds), pp. 136–162. Sage, Newbury Park, CA. &
- 1899. The elimination of the unfit as illustrated by the introduced sparrow, Passer domesticus. Biol Lect Woods Hole 6: 209–228.
- 1989. Phenotypic evolution under Fisher’s fundamental theorem of natural selection. Heredity 62: 113–116.
- 1972. Patterns of genetic differentiation in slender wild oat species avena-barbata. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 69: 1820. &
- 1996. Understanding natural selection: an approach integrating selection gradients, multiplicative fitness components, and path analysis. Ethol. Ecol. Evol. 8: 387–397.
- 1989. A path-analytic model for the measurement of selection on morphology. Evolution 43: 18–28. &
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Oxford University Press, London.
- 1990. Drought and the evolution of flowering time in desert annuals. Am. J. Bot. 77: 1508–1518.
- 1993. The general vigor problem – can antagonistic pleiotropy be detected when genetic covariances are positive. Evolution 47: 327–333.
- 2006. Identifying loci under selection across contrasting environments in Avena barbata using quantitative trait locus mapping. Mol. Ecol. 15: 1321–1333. &
- 2008. Heritable variation and genetic correlation of quantitative traits within and between ecotypes of Avena barbata. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 737–748. &
- 2006. Structural Equation Modeling and Natural Systems. Cambridge University Press, London.
- 1986. Ecology and Evolution of Darwin’s Finches. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1972. Microgeographical variation in allozyme frequencies in Avena barbata. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 69: 2100. &
- 1979. Influence of microhabitat heterogeneity on gene-frequency distribution and gametic phase disequilibrium in Avena barbata. Evolution 33: 521–533. &
- 1991. Genetic covariance of fitness correlates – what genetic correlations are made of and why it matters. Evolution 45: 630–648.
- 1982. Genetic markers and ecotypic differentiation of Avena barbata Pott. ex Link. PhD Dissertation, University of California Davis.
- 1980. Population biology of avena .8. colonization experiment as a test of the role of natural-selection in population divergence. Am. J. Bot. 67: 1342–1346. &
- 2006. Fitness consequences of hybridization between ecotypes of Avena barbata: Hybrid breakdown, hybrid vigour and transgressive segregation. Evolution 60: 1585–1595. &
- 2008. Genotype by environment interactions for fitness in hybrid genotypes of Avena barbata. Evolution 62: 573–585. &
- 1956. A resume of investigations on the evolution of melanism in the lepidoptera. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B-Biol. Sci. 145: 297–303.
- 1982. Multiple switches between vegetative and reproductive growth in annual plants. Theor. Popul. Biol. 21: 194–204. &
- 1991. Path analyses of selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 6: 276–280. &
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. Am. Nat. 157: 245–261. , , , , , , , &
- 2005. Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modelling, 2nd edn. Guilford Press, New York.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 2009. Testing for local adaptation in Avena barbata, a classic example of ecotypic divergence. Mol. Ecol. 18: 3781–3791.
- 2009. Natural selection on pleiotropic quantitative trait loci affecting a life history trade-off in Avena barbata. Evolution 63: 2153–2163. &
- 1994. Long-term laboratory evolution of a genetic life-history trade-off in Drosophila melanogaster. 2. Stability of genetic correlations. Evolution 48: 1258–1268. , &
- 1974. The Genetic Basis of Evolutionary Change. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 2003. Experimental hybridization as a tool for studying selection in the wild. Ecology 84: 1688–1699. , &
- 1996. Evolutionary significance of local genetic differentiation in plants. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27: 237–277. &
- 1997. Reducing bias in the measurement of selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12: 433–436. &
- 1993. Path analysis: pollination. In: Design and Analysis of Ecological Experiments (S.M.Scheiner & J.Gurevitch, eds), pp. 211–231. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- 1996. Genetic constraints on life-history evolution: quantitative-trait loci influencing growth and flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution, 50: 140–145.
- 2006. Whole-plant growth stage ontology for angiosperms and its application in plant biology. Plant Physiol. 142: 414–428. , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1992. The measurement of selection on quantitative traits – biases due to environmental covariances between traits and fitness. Evolution 46: 616–626.
- 2000. Big houses, big cars, superfleas and the costs of reproduction. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15: 421–425. , &
- 1996. Defining selection criteria to improve yield under drought. Plant Growth Regul. 20: 157–166.
- 2001. Age and size at maturity. In: Evolutionary Ecology: Concepts and Case Studies (C.W.Fox, D.A.Roff & D.J.Fairbairn, eds), pp. 99–112. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2007. The evolution of trade-offs: where are we? J. Evol. Biol. 20: 433–447. &
- 2006. The adaptive significance of drought escape in Avena barbata, an annual grass. Evolution 60: 2478–2489. &
- 2002. Cause and Correlation in Biology. A User’s Guide to Path Analysis, Structural Equations and Causal Inference. Cambridge University Press, London.
- 1996. Costs of reproduction in the wild: Path analysis of natural selection and experimental tests of causation. Evolution 50: 1299–1313. &
- 1995. Biometry, 3rd edn. W.H. Freeman & Co., New York. &
- 2002. Testing for environmentally induced bias in phenotypic estimates of natural selection: Theory and practice. Am. Nat. 160: 511–523. , , , , &
- 2007. Plastic trait integration across a CO2 gradient in arabidopsis thaliana. Am. Nat. 169: E119–E140. &
- 1979. Explanation of the decimal code for the growth-stages of cereals, with illustrations. Ann. Appl. Biol. 93: 221–234. &
- 1986. Acquisition and allocation of resources – their influence on variation in life-history tactics. Am. Nat. 128: 137–142. &
- 2003. Consequences of hierarchical allocation for the evolution of life-history traits. Am. Nat. 161: 153–167. , &
- 1934. The method of path coefficients. Ann. Math. Stat. 5: 161–215.
- 1974. Decimal code for growth stages of cereals. Weed Res. 14: 415–421. , &