Selective abortion and the evolution of genomic imprinting
Article first published online: 29 OCT 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 22, Issue 12, pages 2519–2523, December 2009
How to Cite
WOLF, J. B. and HAGER, R. (2009), Selective abortion and the evolution of genomic imprinting. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 22: 2519–2523. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01874.x
- Issue published online: 13 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 29 OCT 2009
- Received 6 August 2009; revised 18 September 2009; accepted 29 September 2009
- 2000. Evolution of mammalian pregnancy in the presence of the maternal immune system. Rev. Reprod. 5: 67–74.
- 2008. Genomic imprinting effects on adult body composition in mice. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105: 4253–4258. , , , , &
- 1987. Immunological and para-immunological mechanisms in spontaneous abortion: recent insights and future directions. J. Reprod. Immunol. 12: 1–12. , , &
- 1999. Why did your mother reject you? Immunogenetic determinants of the response to environmental selective pressure expressed at the uterine level. Am. J. Reprod. Immunol. 41: 5–22. , &
- 1994. Paternal and maternal major histocompatibility class I antigens are expressed co-dominantly in equine trophoblast. Placenta 15: 123–135. , , &
- 1994. MHC class I genes are not imprinted in the mouse placenta. Immunogenetics 40: 62–65. , , &
- 1997. Imprinting is also a mechanism for immediate or delayed hemizygous expression of several uniparental haplotypes selected from the genome of each sex. Am. J. Med. Genet. 70: 95–98.
- 1998. Bidirectional imprinting of a single gene: GNAS1 encodes maternally, paternally and biallelically derived proteins. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 95: 15474–15480. , , &
- 1988. HLA-sharing, recurrent spontaneous abortion, and the genetic hypothesis. Genetics 119: 199–204.
- 1990. Gene imprinting and major histocompatibility complex class I antigen expression in the rat placenta. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 87: 444–448. , , , , , &
- 1993. Differential genomic imprinting of MHC class I antigens in the placenta of the rat. Biol. Reprod. 48: 977–986. , &
- 1996. Parental MHC antigen sharing and pregnancy wastage in captive pigtailed macaques. J. Reprod. Immunol. 32: 73–78. , &
- 1996. Malignant potential, major histocompatibility complex antigen expression, and genomic imprinting of rat trophoblast cell lines. Biol. Reprod. 54: 1288–1299. , &
- 2004. Transmission of parentally shared human leukocyte antigen alleles and the risk of preterm delivery. Obstet. Gynecol. 104: 594–600. , , , &
- 2004. Potential significance of genomic imprinting defects for reproduction and assisted reproductive genetics. Hum. Reprod. Update 10: 3–18. , &
- 1953. Some immunological and endocrinological problems raised by the evolution of viviparity in vertebrates. Symp. Soc. Exp. Biol. 7: 320–338.
- 1996. The evolution of genomic imprinting. Genetics 144: 1283–1295. , &
- 2005. A census of mammalian imprinting. Trends Genet. 21: 457–465. , &
- 1998. Human leukocyte antigen matching and fetal loss: results of a 10 year prospective study. Hum. Reprod. 13: 33–38. , , , &
- 2002. The scent of genetic compatibility: sexual selection and the major histocompatibility complex. Ethology 108: 1–21.
- 2007. Stability and flexibility of epigenetic gene regulation in mammalian development. Nature 447: 425–432.
- 2001. Genomic imprinting: parental influence on the genome. Nat. Rev. 2: 21–32. &
- 2006. Evolution of the mammalian reproductive tract and placentation. In: Immunology of Pregnancy (G.Mor, ed.), pp. 7–14. Springer, New York. &
- 2003. Indiscriminate nursing in communal breeders: a role for genomic imprinting. Ecol. Lett. 6: 165–166. &
- 2001. Human reproductive failure II, immunogenetic and interacting factors. Hum. Reprod. Update. 77: 135–160. &
- 2006. A maternal-offspring coadaptation theory for the evolution of genomic imprinting. PLoS Biol. 4: 2238–2243. &
- 2008. Genome-wide analysis reveals a complex pattern of genomic imprinting in mice. PLoS Genet. 4: e1000091. doi:DOI: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1000091 , , &
- 2006. Genomic imprinting in mammals: emerging themes and established theories. PLoS Genet. 2: 1677–1685. &
- 1994. Role of methylation in placental major histocompatibility complex antigen expression and fetal loss. Biol. Reprod. 51: 831–842. , , &
- 1996. The evolution of polyandry I: intragenomic conflict and genetic incompatibility. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 263: 1711–1717. &