Nonlinear selection and the evolution of variances and covariances for continuous characters in an anole
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2009 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 2, pages 407–421, February 2010
How to Cite
REVELL, L. J., MAHLER, D. L., SWEENEY, J. R., SOBOTKA, M., FANCHER, V. E. and LOSOS, J.B. (2010), Nonlinear selection and the evolution of variances and covariances for continuous characters in an anole. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 407–421. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2009.01911.x
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2009
- Received 29 August 2009; revised 10 November 2009; accepted 17 November 2009
- 1983. Morphology, performance, and fitness. Am. Zool. 23: 347–361.
- 1992. Constraints on phenotypic evolution. Am. Nat. 140: S85–S107.
- 2003. Performance surfaces and adaptive landscapes. Integr. Comp. Biol. 43: 367–375.
- 2005. The ultimate causes of phenotypic integration: lost in translation. Evolution 59: 2059–2061.
- 2001. The adaptive landscape as a conceptual bridge between micro- and macroevolution. Genetica 112–113: 9–32. , &
- 2008. Understanding the evolution and stability of the G-matrix. Evolution 62: 2451–2461. , , , &
- 1987. Forest Area Trends in Puerto Rico. U. S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service Research Note SO-331. Southern Forest Experiment Station, New Orleans, LA, USA. &
- 2005. Genetic evidence for sexual selection in black ratsnakes, Elaphe obsoleta. Anim. Behav. 69: 225–234. , &
- 2007a. A tale of two matrices: multivariate approaches in evolutionary biology. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 1–8.
- 2007b. Complexity for complexity’s sake? J. Evol. Biol. 20: 39–44.
- 2003. Measuring nonlinear selection. Am. Nat. 162: 815–820. &
- 2004. Orientation of the genetic variance-covariance matrix and the fitness surface for multiple male sexually selected traits. Am. Nat. 163: 329–340. , &
- 1992. Correlational selection for color pattern and antipredator behavior in the garter snake Thamnophis ordinoides. Evolution 46: 1284–1298.
- 1993. Homogeneity of the genetic variance-covariance matrix for antipredator traits in two natural populations of the garter snake Thamnophis ordinoides. Evolution 47: 844–854.
- 2007. A cautionary tale of two matrices: the duality of multivariate abstraction. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 9–14. &
- 2007. Sexual dimorphism and adaptive radiation in Anolis lizards. Nature 447: 202–205. , &
- 2009. Experimental evidence that competition and habitat use shape the individual fitness surface. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 97–108.
- 2007. The quick and the dead: correlational selection on morphology, performance, and habitat use in island lizards. Evolution 61: 2493–2503. &
- 2007. Probing the adaptive landscape using experimental islands: density-dependent natural selection on lizard body size. Evolution 61: 1052–1061. &
- 1999. Mutational contributions to genetic variance-covariance matrices: an experimental approach using induced mutations in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 53: 1692–1703. &
- 2000. Induced mutations: a novel tool to study phenotypic integration and evolutionary constraints in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evol. Ecol. Res. 2: 1009–1029. , &
- 1982. Phenotypic, genetic and environmental morphological integration of the cranium. Evolution 36: 499–516.
- 1984. Quantitative genetics and developmental constraints on evolution by selection. J. Theor. Biol. 110: 155–171.
- 1988. A comparison of genetic and phenotypic correlations. Evolution 42: 958–968.
- 1996. Developmental integration and the evolution of pleiotropy. Am. Zool. 36: 44–50.
- 1993. Patterns of phenotypic and genetic correlations among morphological and life-history traits in wild radish, Raphanus raphanistrum. Evolution 47: 704–711. &
- 2005. Molecular approaches to the study of parentage, relatedness, and fitness: practical applications for wild animals. J. Wildl. Manage. 69: 1400–1418.
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA.
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, 4th edn. Prentice Hall, New York, NY, USA. &
- 1993. Ultraviolet vision in lizards. Nature 365: 397. , &
- 1998. Evolutionary Biology, 3rd edn. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA, USA.
- 2002. Structural habitat and ecological overlap of the Puerto Rican lizards Anolis cristatellus and A. cooki, with comments on the long-term survival and conservation of A. cooki. Caribb. J. Sci. 38: 272–278.
- 2007. Polymorphic microsatellite loci for the Puerto Rican crested anole (Anolis cristatellus) and their amplification in related Puerto Rican species. Conserv. Genet. 8: 1491–1493. , &
- 2003. Application of microarray technology in environmental and comparative physiology. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 65: 231–259. &
- 2008. New World direct-developing frogs (Anura: Terrarana): molecular phylogeny, classification, biogeography, and conservation. Zootaxa 1737: 1–182. , &
- 1976. Thermal biology of Anolis lizards in a complex fauna: the cristatellus group on Puerto Rico. Ecology 57: 985–994. &
- 2007. Reconciling strong stabilizing selection with the maintenance of genetic variation in a natural population of Black Field Cricket (Teleogryllus commodus). Genetics 177: 875–880. , , , &
- 2005. Assessment in contests of male lizards (Anolis carolinensis): how should smaller males respond when size matters? Anim. Behav. 69: 1325–1336. , &
- 2003. Stability of the G-matrix in a population experiencing pleiotropic mutation, stabilizing selection, and genetic drift. Evolution 57: 1747–1760. , &
- 1968. Evolutionary rate at the molecular level. Nature 217: 624–626.
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. Am. Nat. 157: 245–261. , , , , , , , &
- 1996. Realized sampling variances of estimates of genetic parameters and the difference between genetic and phenotypic correlations. Genetics 143: 1409–1416. &
- 1979. Between-group comparison of principal components. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 74: 703–707.
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain:body size allometry. Evolution 33: 402–416.
- 1980. The genetic covariance between characters maintained by pleiotropic mutations. Genetics 94: 203–215.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 2004. Differences in visual signal design and detectability between allopatric populations of Anolis lizards. Am. Nat. 163: 26–39. &
- 1995. Antipredator responses of Anolis cristatellus (Sauria: Polychrotidae). Copeia 1995: 155–161. &
- 2006. Preface to the special issue: ecological and evolutionary genomics of populations in nature. Mol. Ecol. 15: 1193–1196. &
- 2000. Body size and paternity in a teiid lizard (Ameiva exsul). J. Herpetol. 34: 110–120. , &
- 1974. Response of Anolis lizards to food supplementation in nature. Copeia 1974: 215–221.
- 1990a. Ecomorphology, performance capability, and scaling of West Indian Anolis lizards: an evolutionary analysis. Ecol. Monogr. 60: 369–388.
- 1990b. The evolution of form and function: morphology and locomotor performance in West Indian Anolis lizards. Evolution 44: 1189–1203.
- 2009. Lizards in an Evolutionary Tree: Ecology and Adaptive Radiation of Anoles. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- 1998. Contingency and determinism in replicated adaptive radiations of island lizards. Science 279: 2115–2118. , , , &
- 2004. Predator-induced behaviour shifts and natural selection in field-experimental lizard populations. Nature 432: 505–508. , &
- 2006. Rapid temporal reversal in predator-driven natural selection. Science 314: 1111. , , &
- 1997. Randomization, Bootstrap and Monte Carlo Methods in Biology, 2nd edn. Chapman and Hall, New York, NY, USA.
- 2005. Correlational selection leads to genetic integration of body size and an attractive plumage trait in dark-eyed juncos. Evolution 59: 658–671. , , &
- 2001. Using genetic markers to directly estimate male selection gradients. Evolution 55: 272–281. &
- 1958. Morphological Integration. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, USA. &
- 2007. Mating system variation and morph fluctuations in a polymorphic lizard. Mol. Ecol. 16: 5307–5315. , , , , &
- 2003. Locomotor performance and social dominance in male Anolis cristatellus. Anim. Behav. 67: 37–47. , , &
- 1999. Hierarchical comparison of the genetic variance-covariance matrices. I. Using the Flury hierarchy. Evolution 53: 1506–1515. &
- 2004. Phenotypic Integration: Studying the Ecology and Evolution of Complex Phenotypes. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 2009. Breeding resource distribution affects selection gradients on male phenotypic traits: experimental study on lifetime reproductive success in the bitterling fish (Rhodeus amarus). Evolution 63: 377–390. , , , &
- 1998. Quantitative genetics of the dung fly Sepsis cynipsea: Cheverud’s conjecture revisited. Heredity 81: 111–119. &
- 2007. The G matrix under fluctuating correlational mutation and selection. Evolution 61: 1857–1872.
- 2007. A phylogenetic approach to determining the importance of constraint on phenotypic evolution in the neotropical lizard Anolis cristatellus. Evol. Ecol. Res. 9: 261–282. , , &
- 1995. The estimation of genetic correlations from phenotypic correlations: a test of Cheverud’s conjecture. Heredity 74: 481–490.
- 1997. Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics. Chapman and Hall, New York, NY, USA.
- 1998. Phenotypic Evolution: A Reaction Norm Perspective. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA, USA. &
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution 50: 1766–1774.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1989. Relationships between spacing behavior and growth rates: a field study of lizard feeding territories. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 25: 99–107. &
- 2008. Estimating nonlinear selection gradients using quadratic regression coefficients: double or nothing? Evolution 62: 2435–2440. , , , &
- 1996. Land-use dynamics in a post-agricultural Puerto Rican landscape (1936–1988). Biotropica 28: 525–536. , , , &
- 1988. Phenotypic evolution, constant covariances, and the maintenance of additive variance. Evolution 42: 1342–1347.
- 1985. Genotype-environment interaction and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 39: 505–522. &
- 1998. Genetic and phenotypic correlations in plants: a botanical test of Cheverud’s conjecture. Heredity 80: 310–319. &
- 1996. Lekking in marine iguanas: female grouping and male reproductive strategies. Anim. Behav. 52: 581–596. , &
- 1972. The origin of faunas. Evolution of lizard congeners in a complex island fauna: a trial analysis. Evol. Biol. 6: 47–89.
- 1991. Can one predict the evolution of quantitative characters without genetics? Evolution 45: 441–444. , &