Present address: Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre, Senckenberganlage 25, D-60325 Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
The role of phenotypic plasticity in responses of hunted thinhorn sheep ram horn growth to changing climate conditions
Version of Record online: 12 FEB 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 4, pages 783–790, April 2010
How to Cite
LOEHR, J., CAREY, J., O’HARA, R. B. and HIK, D. S. (2010), The role of phenotypic plasticity in responses of hunted thinhorn sheep ram horn growth to changing climate conditions. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 783–790. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.01948.x
- Issue online: 19 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 12 FEB 2010
- Received 8 July 2009; accepted 6 January 2010
- 2008. Age-dependent relationship between horn growth and survival in wild sheep. J. Anim. Ecol. 78: 161–171. , , &
- 1978. Horn growth and population quality in Dall sheep. J. Wildl. Manage. 42: 764–775.
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426: 655–658, doi: 10.1038/nature02177. , , , , &
- 2005. Selection and genetic (co)variance in bighorn sheep. Evolution 59: 1372–1382. , , &
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297: 94–96. &
- 2001. Interdecadal climate variability and regime-scale shifts in Pacific North America. Geophys. Res. Lett. 28: 1515–1518. &
- 2002. A multi-century perspective of variability in the Pacific Decadal Oscillation: new insights from tree rings and corals. Geophys. Res. Lett. 29: 2204, doi: 10.1029/2002GL015824. , &
- 1966a. Validity of horn segment counts in ageing bighorn sheep. J. Wildl. Manage. 30: 634–646.
- 1966b. The evolutionary significance of mountain sheep horns. Evolution 20: 558–566.
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Mol. Ecol. 17: 167–178, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-294X.2007.03413.x. , , , &
- 2004. Why large-scale climate indices seem to predict ecological processes better than local weather. Nature 430: 71–75, doi: 10.1038/nature02708. , , , , &
- 2005. Predation by wolves interacts with the North Pacific Oscillation (NPO) on a western North American elk population. J. Anim. Ecol. 74: 226–233, doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2656.2004.00909.x.
- 1975. Ram Horn Growth and Population Quality. Alaska Dept. Fish Game Wildl. Tech. Bullet. 5. &
- 1969. Cemental deposition, tooth succession, and horn development as criteria of age in Dall sheep. J. Wildl. Manage. 33: 552–558.
- 2000. Cohort variation in horn growth of Dall sheep rams in the southwest Yukon, 1969–1999. Biennial Sympo. North. Wild Sheep Goat Council 12: 88–100. &
- 1997. Comparison of horn growth in captive and free-ranging Dall’s rams. J. Wildl. Manage. 61: 1154–1160. &
- 1999. Heritable variation and evolution under favourable and unfavourable conditions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 96–101. &
- 2004. Porcupine feeding scars and climatic data show ecosystem effects of the solar cycle. Am. Nat. 164: 283–297, doi: 10.1086/423431. , &
- 2007. Detecting and managing fisheries-induced evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22: 652–659. &
- 2009. Statistics: reasoning on uncertainty, and the insignificance of testing null. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 46: 138–157.
- 2007. Horn growth rate and longevity: implications for natural and artificial selection in thinhorn sheep (Ovis dalli). J. Evol. Biol. 20: 818–828, doi:10.1111/j.1420-9101.2006.01272.x. , , , &
- 1997. A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. 78: 1069–1079. , , , &
- 2007. Integrated perspectives on genetic and environmental effects on maturation can reduce potential for errors of inference. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 335: 301–310. &
- 2007. Demographic analysis of a declining pika (Ochotona collaris) population: linking survival to broad-scale climate patterns via spring snowmelt patterns. J. Anim. Ecol. 76: 899–907. &
- 2009. How to make models add up – a primer on GLMMs. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 46: 124–137.
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428: 932–935, doi:10.1038/nature02430. , , , , , &
- 2009. The dynamics of phenotypic change and the shrinking sheep of St. Kilda. Science 325: 464–467, doi: 10.1126/science.1173668. , , , , &
- 1999. Climatic variability, plant phenology, and northern ungulates. Ecology 80: 1322–1339. &
- 2006. Implications of the difference between true and predicted breeding values for the study of natural selection and micro-evolution. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 309–320, doi:10.1111/j.1420-9101.2005.01007.x.
- R Development Core Team 2009. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org (last accessed 1 July 2009).
- 1990. Experimentally induced life-history evolution in a natural population. Nature 346: 357–359, doi:10.1038/346357a0. , &
- 2006. Live fast, die young: trade-offs between fitness components and sexually antagonistic selection, on weaponry in Soay sheep. Evolution 60: 2168–2181, doi:10.1111/j.0014-3820.2006.tb01854.x. , , , &
- 1997. Solar activity and mammal cycles in the northern hemisphere. Am. Nat. 149: 776–784. &
- 1975. Range Ecology of Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep in Canadian national Parks. Ph.D dissertation, University of Montana, Missoula.
- 2005. Weather packages: finding the right scale and composition of climate in ecology. J. Anim. Ecol. 74: 195–1198, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2656.2005.01005.x. &
- 2008. Bergmann’s Rule and climate change: Disentangling environmental and genetic responses in a wild bird population. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105: 13492–13496. , , , &
- 2008. Why h2 does not always equal VA/VP? J. Evol. Biol. 21: 647–650.
- 2004. Population genetic structure of North American thinhorn sheep Ovis dalli. Mol. Ecol. 13: 2545–2556, doi:10.1111/j.1365-294X.2004.02248.x. , , , , , &