Indirect genetic effects in a sex-limited trait: the case of breeding time in red-billed gulls
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 935–944, May 2010
How to Cite
TEPLITSKY, C., MILLS, J. A., YARRALL, J. W. and MERILÄ, J. (2010), Indirect genetic effects in a sex-limited trait: the case of breeding time in red-billed gulls. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 935–944. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.01959.x
- Issue published online: 19 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2010
- Received 15 May 2009; revised 20 January 2010; accepted 27 January 2010
- 2008. “Hidden” reproductive conflict between mates in a wild bird population. Evolution 62: 2326–2333. &
- 2005. How do misassigned paternities affect the estimation of heritability in the wild? Mol. Ecol. 14: 2839–2850. &
- 2006a. Evolutionary response to selection on clutch size in a long-term study of the mute swan. Am. Nat. 167: 453–465. , , &
- 2006b. Age-dependent genetic variance in a life-history trait in the mute swan. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 225–232. , , &
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, New York. &
- 1930. The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 2006. Why breeding time has not responded to selection for earlier breeding in a songbird population. Evolution 60: 2381–2388. , &
- 2007. Responses to climate change in avian migration time – microevolution or phenotypic plasticity? Clim. Res. 35: 25–35. , &
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Mol. Ecol. 17: 167–178. , , , &
- 2006. ASReml User Guide Release 2.0. VSN International Ltd, Hemel Hempstead, UK. , , &
- 2010. MCMC methods for multi-response generalized linear mixed models: the MCMCglmm R Package. J. Stat. Softwear 33: 1–22.
- 2010. The misuse of BLUP in ecology and evolution. Am. Nat. 175: 116–125. , , , &
- 1970. Determination of clutch-size in birds – a review. Ardea 58: 1–124.
- 1995. Maximum-likelihood estimation of genetic parameters in life-history studies using the animal model. Funct. Ecol. 9: 122–126. , , &
- 2000. Heritability of fitness in a wild mammal population. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 97: 698–703. , , , , &
- 2002. Antler size in red deer: heritability and selection but no evolution. Evolution 56: 1683–1695. , , , , &
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 2006. Standing genetic variance for female resistance to harm from males and its relationship to intralocus sexual conflict. Evolution 60: 97–105. , &
- 2009. Genes with social effects are expected to harbor more sequence variation within and between species. Evolution 63: 1685–1696. &
- 1998. Genetics and Analysis of Quantitative Traits. Sinauer, Sunderland. &
- 2004. Choosing mates: good genes versus genes that are a good fit. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 554–559. &
- 2004. Components of variance underlying fitness in a natural population of the great tit Parus major. Am. Nat. 164: E62–E72. , , , , &
- 2009. How to measure indirect genetic effects: the congruence of trait-based and variance partitioning appraoches. Evolution 63: 1785–1795. &
- 1990. Family-planning in the kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) – the proximate control of covariation of laying date and clutch size. Behaviour 114: 117–136. , &
- 2000. Lifetime reproductive success and heritability in nature. Am. Nat. 155: 301–310. &
- 2001. Avian quantitative genetics. Curr. Ornithol. 9: 179–255. &
- 2001b. Cryptic evolution in a wild bird population. Nature 412: 76–79. , &
- 2001a. Explaining stasis: microevolutionary studies in natural populations. Genetica 112: 199–222. , &
- 1973. The influence of age and pair-bond on the breeding biology of the red-billed gull Larus novaehollandiae scopulinus. J. Anim. Ecol. 42: 147–162.
- 1979. Factors affecting the egg size of red-billed gulls Larus novaehollandiae scopulinus. Ibis 121: 53–67.
- 1989. Red-billed gull. In: Lifetime Reproduction in Birds (I.Newton, ed), pp. 387–404. Academic Press, London and San Diego.
- 1994. Extra-pair copulations in the red-billed gull: females with high-quality, attentive males resist. Behaviour 128: 41–64.
- 1996. Causes and consequences of mate fidelity in red-billed gulls. In: Partnerships in Birds – The Study of Monogamy (J.M.Black, ed), pp. 118–137. Oxford Univ Press, Oxford. , &
- 2008. The impact of climate fluctuation on food availability and reproductive performance of the planktivorous red-billed gull Larus novaehollandiae scopulinus. J. Anim. Ecol. 77: 1129–1142. , , , , &
- 2006. Rapidly advancing laying date in a seabird and the changing advantage of early reproduction. J. Anim. Ecol. 75: 657–665. , &
- 1997. Interacting phenotypes and the evolutionary process .1. Direct and indirect genetic effects of social interactions. Evolution 51: 1352–1362. , &
- 1973. Courtship feeding, egg size and breeding success in common terns. Nature 241: 141–142.
- 2008. A Bayesian framework for comparative quantitative genetics. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 275: 669–678. , &
- 2005. Warmer springs advance the breeding phenology of golden plovers Pluvialis apricaria and their prey (Tipulidae). Oecologia 143: 470–476. , &
- 2005. Genetic variance in female condition predicts indirect genetic variance in male sexual display traits. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102: 6045–6050. , , &
- 2000. Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus. Springer-Verlag, New-York. &
- 2006. Identifying the main causes of phenotypic variation and covariation in life-history traits in a long-lived species. In: State-Dependent Life-History Strategies. A Long Term Study on Oystercatchers. PhD thesis. University of Groningen, the Netherlands. [http://www.rug.nl/biologie/onderzoek/onderzoekgroepen/theoreticalbiology/publications]. &
- 2005. Genetic compatibility and sexual selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20: 157–158. , &
- 2006. Responding to environmental change: plastic responses vary little in a synchronous breeder. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 273: 2713–2719. , , , , &
- 2003. Natural selection and inheritance of breeding time and clutch size in the collared flycatcher. Evolution 57: 406–420. , &
- 1981. A functional analysis of courtship feeding in the red-billed gull, Larus novaehollandiae scopulinus. Behaviour 77: 221–241. &
- 2005. Variable effects of climate change on six species of North American birds. Oecologia 145: 486–495. &
- 2009. Indirect genetic effects and the evolution of aggresion in a vertebrate system. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 276: 533–541. , , &
- 2003. Genetic architecture and evolutionary constraint when the environment contains genes. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100: 4655–4660.
- 1998. Evolutionary consequences of indirect genetic effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 64–69. , , , &