Developmental acclimation affects clinal variation in stress resistance traits in Drosophila buzzatii
Article first published online: 5 MAR 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 957–965, May 2010
How to Cite
SARUP, P. and LOESCHCKE, V. (2010), Developmental acclimation affects clinal variation in stress resistance traits in Drosophila buzzatii. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 957–965. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.01965.x
- Issue published online: 19 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 5 MAR 2010
- Received 9 June 2009; accepted 29 January 2010
- 2005. Thermal adaption of maternal and embryonic phenotypes in a geographically widespread ectotherm. In: Animals and Environments, Vol. 1275 (S.Morris & A.Vosloo, eds), pp. 258–266. Elsevier Press, Amsterdam. , &
- 2003. Breakdown in correlations during laboratory evolution. II. Selection on stress resistance in Drosophila populations. Evolution 57: 536–543. , , &
- 2004. Cold adaptation in geographical populations of Drosophila melanogaster: phenotypic plasticity is more important than genetic variability. Funct. Ecol. 18: 700–706. , , , , , , &
- 2006. Multitrait evolution in lines of Drosophila melanogaster selected for increased starvation resistance: the role of metabolic rate and implications for the evolution of longevity. Evolution 60: 1435–1444. , &
- 2009. Bottlenecks, population differentiation and apparent selection at microsatellite loci in Australian Drosophila buzzatii. Heredity 102: 626. , , , , , &
- 1997. Altitudinal life history variation in the dung flies Scathophaga stercoraria and Sepsis cynipsea. Oecologia 109: 342–352.
- 2005a. Variation of life-history and morphometrical traits in Drosophila buzzatii and Drosophila simulans collected along an altitudinal gradient from a Canary island. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 84: 119–136. &
- 2005b. Correlated responses to selection for stress resistance and longevity in a laboratory population of Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 789–803. &
- 2007. Microsatellite null alleles and estimation of population differentiation. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24: 621–631. &
- 1998. Resource acquisition and the evolution of stress resistance in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 52: 1342–1352. , , , , , &
- 2001. Behavioral differentiation in oviposition activity in Drosophila buzzatii from highland and lowland populations in Argentina: plasticity or thermal adaptation? Evolution 55: 738–747. , &
- 1987. A rapid DNA isolation procedure for small amounts of fresh leaf tissue. Phytochem. Bull. 19: 11–15. &
- 2008. Genetic variation across species’ geographical ranges: the central-marginal hypothesis and beyond. Mol. Ecol. 17: 1170–1188. , &
- 2002. Genetic variation in original and colonizing Drosophila buzzatii populations analysed by microsatellite loci isolated with a new PCR screening method. Mol. Ecol. 11: 181–190. , , &
- 2003. No place to hide: microclimates of Sonoran desert Drosophila. J. Therm. Biol. 28: 353–362. , &
- 1995. FSTAT (Version 1.2): A computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Heredity 86: 485–486.
- 2005. HIERFSTAT, a package for R to compute and test hierarchical F-statistics. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5: 184–186.
- 1999. Selection for starvation resistance in Drosophila melanogaster: physiological correlates, enzyme activities and multiple stress responses. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 370–379. , &
- 1999. Desiccation and starvation resistance in Drosophila: patterns of variation at the species, population and intrapopulation levels. Heredity 83: 637–643. &
- 2007. Climatic selection on genes and traits after a 100 year-old invasion: a critical look at the temperate-tropical clines in Drosophila melanogaster from eastern Australia. Genetica 129: 133–147. &
- 2002. Opposing clines for high and low temperature resistance in Drosophila melanogaster. Ecol. Lett. 5: 614–618. , &
- 2003. Adaptation of Drosophila to temperature extremes: bringing together quantitative and molecular approaches. J. Therm. Biol. 28: 175–216. , &
- 2005. Relative importance of plastic vs genetic factors in adaptive differentiation: geographical variation for stress resistance in Drosophila melanogaster from eastern Australia. Funct. Ecol. 19: 222–227. , &
- 1992. A method for rapid measurement of heat or cold resistance of small insects. Funct. Ecol. 6: 489–494. , , &
- 1998. Desiccation and starvation tolerance of adult Drosophila: Opposite latitudinal clines in natural populations of three different species. Evolution 52: 825–831. , , , , , &
- 2002. Reaction norm in response to temperature may change to adapt rapid brood development to boreal and subarctic climates in Myrmica ants (Hymenoptera:Formicidae). Eur. J. Entomol. 99: 197–208. &
- 1996. Acclimation and selection for increased resistance to thermal stress in Drosophila buzzatii. Genetics 142: 471–479. &
- 2002. Inbreeding affects Hsp70 expression in two species of Drosophila even at benign temperatures. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4: 1209–1216. , &
- 2008. Comparative studies of quantitative trait and neutral marker divergence: a meta-analysis. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1–17. , , &
- 2008. Multivariate Q(st)-F-st comparisons: a neutrality test for the evolution of the G matrix in structured populations. Genetics 180: 2135–2149. , &
- 2001. Comparison of genetic differentiation at marker loci and quantitative traits. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 892–903. &
- 2002. Longevity and resistance to cold stress in cold-stress selected lines and their controls in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 775–783. &
- 2006. Altitudinal patterns for longevity, fecundity and senescence in Drosophila buzzatii. Genetica 128: 81–93. , , &
- 2005. Adaptations to environmental stress in altitudinal populations of two Drosophila species. Physiol. Entomol. 30: 353–361. , , &
- 2009. The joint effects of selection and dominance on the QST – FST contrast. Genetics 181: 259–276. &
- 2006. Climatic adaptation of Drosophila buzzatii populations in southeast Australia. Heredity 96: 479–486. , , , &
- 2009. Local adaptation of stress related traits in Drosophila buzzatii and Drosophila simulans in spite of high gene flow. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 1111–1122. , &
- SAS 2007. JMP. SAS, Cary, NC, USA.
- 2001. Genetic variation in thermal tolerance among natural populations of Drosophila buzzatii: down regulation of Hsp70 expression and variation in heat stress resistance traits. Funct. Ecol. 15: 289–296. , &
- 2005. Altitudinal variation for stress resistance traits and thermal adaptation in adult Drosophila buzzatii from the New World. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 829–837. , , &
- 1997. Altitudinal variation for senescence in Melanoplus grasshoppers. Oecologia 111: 357–364. , &
- 1928. Composition of populations and correlation appearances viewed in relation to the studies of inheritance. Hereditas 11: 65–106.
- 2008. Evolutionary inference from Q(ST). Mol. Ecol. 17: 1885–1896.
- 1951. The genetical structure of populations. Annals of Eugenics 15: 323–354.