Present address: Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Tohoku University, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan.
Ecological divergence and habitat isolation between two migratory forms of Japanese threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus)
Article first published online: 7 MAY 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 7, pages 1436–1446, July 2010
How to Cite
KUME, M., KITANO, J., MORI, S. and SHIBUYA, T. (2010), Ecological divergence and habitat isolation between two migratory forms of Japanese threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 1436–1446. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02009.x
- Issue published online: 23 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 7 MAY 2010
- Received 7 January 2010; revised 22 March 2010; accepted 23 March 2010
- 2008. Phenotypic divergence and sexual dimorphism in anadromous threespine stickleback: implications for postglacial adaptive radiation. Evolution 95: 465–478. , , &
- 1985. Salinity preferences of four sympatric species of sticklebacks (Pisces: Gasterosteidae) during their reproductive season. Copeia 1985: 209–213. , &
- 2001. Fine-scale genetic structure, estuarine colonization and incipient speciation in the marine silverside fish Odontesthes argentinensis. Mol. Ecol. 10: 2849–2866. &
- 1994. The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2002. Fast-start swimming performance and reduction in lateral plate number in threespine stickleback. Can. J. Zool. 80: 207–213.
- 1987. Relationship between bioenergetics and behavior in anadromous fish migrations. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 44: 399–407. &
- 2009. Variable progress toward ecological speciation in parapatry: stickleback across eight lake-stream transitions. Evolution 63: 1740–1753. , &
- 2009. Phenotype-dependent native habitat preference facilitates divergence between parapatric lake and stream stickleback. Evolution 63: 2004–2016. , , , , &
- 2001. Divergent sexual selection enhances reproductive isolation in sticklebacks. Nature 411: 944–948.
- 2002. How sensory drive can promote speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 571–577.
- 1992. Signals, signal conditions, and the direction of evolution. Am. Nat. 139: 125–153.
- 1992. Circannual cycle of seawater adaptability in Oncorhynchus nerka: genetic differences between sympatric sockeye salmon and kokanee. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 49: 99–109. , , &
- 2007. Speciation in killifish and the role of salt tolerance. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 1962–1975. , &
- 2006. Ecological divergence exhibits consistently positive associations with reproductive isolation across disparate taxa. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103: 3209–3213. , &
- 2004. Fitness Landscapes and the Origin of Species. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 2003. Biodiversity and conservation of sticklebacks in Japan. In: Natural History of Stickleback (A.Goto & S.Mori, eds), pp. 233–249 (in Japanese). Hokkaido University Press, Sappord, Japan.
- 1988. Aquatic productivity and the evolution of diadromous fish migration. Science 239: 1291–1293. , &
- 1967. Isolating mechanisms in threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus). J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 24: 1637–1692.
- 1975. Excessively enlarged thyroid follicles of the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus aculeatus, reared in freshwater. Jpn. J. Ichthyol. 21: 183–190.
- 2003. Evolution Illuminated: Salmon and Their Relatives. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2009. Along the speciation continuum in stickleback. J. Fish Biol. 75: 2000–2036. , , &
- 1996. Genetic structure and morphological, ecological study of threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, around Japan. PhD thesis, Hokkaido University, Japan (in Japanese).
- 1996. Genetic evidence supporting the existence of two distinct species in the genus Gasterosteus around Japan. Environ. Biol. Fish 47: 1–16. &
- 1977. Changes in the thyroid gland associated with the diadromous migration of the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Jpn. J. Ichthyol. 24: 17–25. , &
- 1980. Stomach contents analysis-a review of methods and their application. J. Fish Biol. 17: 411–429.
- 2005. Siberian migratory divides: the role of seasonal migration in speciation. In: Birds of Two Worlds: The Ecology and Evolution of Migration (R.Greenberg & P.P.Marra, eds), pp. 27–40. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore. &
- 1987. The reproductive ecology of threespine sticklebacks breeding in fresh and brackish water. Am. Fisher. Soc. Symp. 1: 151–161. , &
- 2001. Migratory costs and the evolution of egg size and number in introduced and indigenous salmon populations. Evolution 55: 1656–1667. , , &
- 2007a. Sexual dimorphism in the external morphology of the threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Copeia 2007: 336–349. , &
- 2007b. Phenotypic divergence and reproductive isolation between sympatric forms of Japanese threespine sticklebacks. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 91: 671–685. , &
- 2009. A role for a neo-sex chromosome in stickleback speciation. Nature 461: 1079–1083. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2009. Sex differences in mate recognition and conspecific preference in species with mutual mate choice. Evolution 63: 353–365. , &
- 2007. Divergence of Life History and Reproductive Isolation Between Japan Sea and Pacific Ocean Forms of Threespine Stickleback. PhD thesis, Hokkaido University, Japan (in Japanese).
- 2008. Freshwater fish fauna in the lower region of the Bekanbeushi River. Biol. Inl. Wat. 23: 15–19 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- 2010. Breeding season in the Japan Sea and Pacific Ocean forms of threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus in the Bekanbeushi River system of eastern Hokkaido, Japan. Jpn. J. Ichthyol. 57: 63–67 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- 2009. Preliminary report on feeding ecology in the Japan Sea and Pacific Ocean forms of threespine stickleback in eastern Hokkaido, Japan. Biol. Inl. Wat. 24: 17–20 (in Japanese with English abstract). &
- 2005. Distinct spawning migration patterns in sympatric Japan Sea and Pacific Ocean forms of threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus. Ichthyol. Res. 52: 189–193. , , &
- 2007. Parallel evolution of lake whitefish dwarf ecotypes in association with limnological features of their adaptive landscape. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 971–984. , &
- 2007. Ecological speciation in Gambusia fishes. Evolution 61: 2056–2074. , &
- 2008. Fine-scale differentiation between sockeye salmon ecotypes and the effect of phenotype on straying. Heredity 101: 341–350. , , &
- 2008. Landscape genetic analyses reveal cryptic population structure and putative selection gradients in a large-scale estuarine environment. Mol. Ecol. 17: 3901–3916. &
- 2002. Speciation in nature: the threespine stickleback model systems. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 480–488. &
- 2004. Evidence for ecology’s role in speciation. Nature 429: 294–298. , , , , , , &
- 2003. The importance of olfactory signals in the gasterosteid mating system: sticklebacks go multimodal. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 80: 555–572.
- 1994. Speciation and the evolution of reproductive isolation in the sticklebacks (Gasterosteus) of southwestern British Columbia. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (M.A.Bell & S.A.Foster, eds), pp. 399–437. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2003. Distribution of threespine stickleback in Japan: conserving stickleback populations. In: Natural History of Stickleback (A.Goto & S.Mori, eds), pp. 201–212 (in Japanese). Hokkaido University Press, Sappord, Japan.
- 1992. A preliminary report on food habitat of Japanese huchen Hucho perryi in northern Hokkaido. Biol. Inl. Wat. 7: 20–23 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- 2005. Perspective: reproductive isolation caused by natural selection against immigrants from divergent habitats. Evolution 59: 705–719. , &
- 1971. Food habits of albacore, bluefin tuna and bonito in California waters. Fish. Bull. 152: 1–105. , &
- 2005. The Behavior and Ecology of Pacific Salmon and Trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle.
- 1994. Predators and morphological evolution in threespine stickleback. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (M.A.Bell & S.A.Foster, eds), pp. 241–276. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2006. Replicated ecological landscapes and the evolution of morphological diversity among Gasterosteus populations from archipelago on the west coast of Canada. Can. J. Zool. 84: 643–654. &
- 1987. Speciation via habitat specialization: the evolution of reproductive isolation as a correlated character. Evol. Ecol. 1: 301–314.
- 2004. tpsSplin version 1.20 [computer program], Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook. Available at: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/.
- 2005. tpsRegr version 1.31 [computer program]. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook. Available at: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/.
- 2006a. tpsDig version 2.1 [computer program]. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook. Available at: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/.
- 2006b. tps Utility program version 1.38 [computer program]. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook. Available at: http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/morph/.
- 2005. Ecological speciation. Ecol. Lett. 8: 336–352. &
- 1994. Diets and foraging site utilization of the Grey Heron, Ardea cinerea, in the breeding season. Jpn. J. Ornithol. 43: 61–71 (in Japanese with English abstract). , &
- 1975. The adaptive significance of variations in life history among local populations of Atlantic salmon in North America. Ecology 56: 577–590. &
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1970. Non-synchronous spatial overlap of lizards in patchy habitats. Ecology 51: 408–418.
- 2008. Speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fish. Nature 455: 620–626. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Habitat-dependent reduction of sexual dimorphism in geometric body shape of Haida Gwaii threespine stickleback. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 95: 505–516. &
- 1999. Species pairs of north temperate freshwater fishes: evolution, taxonomy, and conservation. Rev. Fish Biol. Fish. 9: 299–324.
- 1997. Ecological morphology of lacustrine threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus L. (Gasterosteidae) body shape. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 61: 3–50.
- 1985. The effects of bird predation on an estuarine stickleback (Pisces: Gasterosteidae) community. Can. J. Zool. 63: 301–307. &
- 1998. Ecology of Teleost Fishes, 2nd edn. Kluwer Academic Publishers, London.
- 2003. Evolutionary Process and Introgression of Mitochondrial DNA in Threespine Stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, Around Japan. PhD thesis, Hokkaido University, Japan.
- 2004. Geometric Morphometrics for Biologists. Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , &