The shape of things to come: linking developmental plasticity to post-metamorphic morphology in anurans
Article first published online: 19 MAY 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 7, pages 1364–1373, July 2010
How to Cite
GOMEZ-MESTRE, I., SACCOCCIO, V. L., IIJIMA, T., COLLINS, E. M., ROSENTHAL, G. G. and WARKENTIN, K. M. (2010), The shape of things to come: linking developmental plasticity to post-metamorphic morphology in anurans. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 1364–1373. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02016.x
- Issue published online: 23 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 19 MAY 2010
- Received 23 September 2009; revised 24 March 2010; accepted 6 April 2010
- 1987. Evolution of a developmental process – irreversibility and redundancy in amphibian metamorphosis. In: Development as an Evolutionary Process (R.A.Raff & E.C.Raff, eds), pp. 23–46. A. R. Liss, New York.
- 1981. Heterochronic mechanisms of morphological diversification and evolutionary change in the neotropical salamander, Bolitoglossa occidentalis (Amphibia: Plethodontidae). J. Morphol. 167: 249–264. &
- 1999. Ecology: resource use, competition and predation. In: Tadpoles. The Biology of Anuran Larvae (R.W.McDiarmid & R.Altig, eds), pp. 240–278. Chicago University Press, Chicago.
- 2002. Effects of induced variation in anuran larval development on postmetamorphic energy reserves and locomotion. Oecologia 131: 186–195. &
- 2002. Population dynamic consequences of delayed life-history effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 263–269. , , , &
- 2004. Predator-induced phenotypic plasticity in organisms with complex life histories. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 35: 651–673.
- 2000. Effects of temperature-induced variation in anuran larval growth rate on head width and leg length at metamorphosis. Oecologia 125: 358–361. &
- 1991. Effects of environmentally induced development-rate variation on head and limb morphology in the green tree frog, Hyla cinerea. Am. Nat. 138: 717–728. &
- 2005. Variation in thyroid hormone action and tissue content underlies species differences in the timing of metamorphosis in desert frogs. Evol. Dev. 7: 458–467. &
- 2007. Non-equivalence of growth arrest induced by predation risk or food limitation: context-dependent compensatory growth in anuran tadpoles. J. Anim. Ecol. 76: 1026–1035. &
- 1988. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edn. Erlbaum, Hillsdale, New Jersey.
- 2006. Leptin (ob gene) of the South African clawed frog Xenopus laevis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103: 10092–10097. &
- 2000. Plasma leptin determination in ruminants: effect of nutritional status and body fatness on plasma leptin concentration assessed by a specific RIA in sheep. J. Endocrinol. 165: 519–526. , , , , &
- 1998. Hormonal correlates of environmentally induced metamorphosis in the Western spadefoot toad, Scaphiopus hammondii. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 110: 326–336.
- 1998. Adaptive plasticity in amphibian metamorphosis: response of Scaphiopus hammondii tadpoles to habitat desiccation. Ecology 79: 1859–1872. , &
- 1986. Heterochrony and frogs: the relationship of a life history trait to morphological form. Am. Nat. 127: 167–183.
- 1988. Evaluating a hypothesis about heterochrony: larval life-history traits and juvenile hind-limb morphology in Hyla crucifer. Evolution 42: 68–78. , &
- 1996. Captive reproduction of the orange-legged monkey frog (Phyllomedusa hypocondrialis), and development of a protocol for Phyllomedusine frog reproduction in the laboratory. Adv Herpetoculture 1: 13–21.
- 2006. Trade-off between larval development rate and post-metamorphic traits in the frog Rana latastei. Evol. Ecol. 20: 143–158. &
- 1990. The evolution of metamorphosis in amphibians. J. Neurobiol. 21: 1011–1021.
- 2006. The amphibian tree of life. Bull. Am. Mus. Nat. Hist. 297: 1–291. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Costs of plasticity: responses to desiccation decrease post-metamorphic immune function in a pond-breeding amphibian. Funct. Ecol. 22: 100–108. &
- 2006. Phenotypic links in complex life cycles: conclusions from studies with decapod crustaceans. Integr. Comp. Biol. 46: 615–622.
- 2006. Developmental plasticity mirrors differences among taxa in spadefoot toads linking plasticity and diversity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103: 19021–19026. &
- 2003. Local adaptation of an anuran amphibian to osmotically stressful environments. Evolution 57: 1889–1899. &
- 2005. Adaptation or exaptation? An experimental test of hypotheses on the origin of salinity tolerance in Bufo calamita J. Evol. Biol. 18: 847–855. &
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16: 183–190.
- 1992. Life history and morphological evolution. J. Evol. Biol. 5: 549–557.
- 1981. The visible skeleton. Funct. Photo. 44: 22–26. &
- 1987. Unrepeatable repeatabilities: a common mistake. Auk 104: 116–121. &
- 2009. Effects of pond drying on morphological and life-history traits in the anuran Rhinella spinulosa (Anura: Bufonidae). Evol. Ecol. Res. 11: 803.
- 2003. Larval activity levels and delayed metamorphosis affect post-larval performance in the colonial ascidian Diplosoma listerianum. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 246: 153.
- 2007. Tradeoffs between somatic and gonadal investments during development in the African clawed frog (Xenopus laevis). J. Exp. Zool. 308A: 637–646. , , , &
- 1994. Adaptation and constraint in the complex life-cycles of animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 25: 573–600.
- 1989. Developmental plasticity of Scaphiopus couchii tadpoles in an unpredictable environment. Ecology 70: 1775–1787.
- 1992. Adaptive plasticity in amphibian metamorphosis. Bioscience 42: 671–678.
- 2006. Delayed effects of larval predation risk and food quality on anuran juvenile performance. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1092–1103. , &
- 1994. Normal Table of Xenopus laevis (Daudin). Garland Publishing, New York & London. &
- 1998. Experimental analysis of character coupling across a complex life cycle: pigment pattern metamorphosis in the tiger salamander, Ambystoma tigrinum tigrinum. J. Morphol. 237: 53–67.
- 2006. Larval experience and latent effects – metamorphosis is not a new beginning. Integr. Comp. Biol. 46: 323–333.
- 2001. The lasting effects of adaptive plasticity: predator-induced tadpoles become long-legged frogs. Ecology 82: 1947–1955.
- 2003. The impact of larval predators and competitors on the morphology and fitness of juvenile treefrogs. Oecologia 134: 596–604. &
- 2006. Effects of phenotypic plasticity on post-metamorphic traits during pre-metamorphic stages in the anuran Pelodytes punctatus. Evol. Ecol. Res. 8: 309–320. , &
- 2000. Contrasts and Effect Sizes in Behavioral Research. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , &
- 2002. Correlation between plasma leptin concentration and body fat content in dogs. Am. J. Vet. Res 63: 7–10. , , , &
- 1983. Developmental plasticity: developmental conversion versus phenotypic modulation. Am. Zool. 23: 47–55.
- 1979. Predicting amphibian metamorphosis. Am. Nat. 113: 563–585. &
- 2003. Development of physiological regulatory systems: altering the timing of crucial events. Zoology 106: 91–99. &
- 2000a. Covariation of morphology and jumping performance in newly metamorphosed water frogs: effects of larval growth history. Copeia 2000: 448–458. , &
- 2000b. Differential morphology and jumping performance of newly metamorphosed frogs of the hybridogenetic Rana esculenta complex. J. Herpetol. 34: 201–210. , &
- 2000. Influence of tail shape on tadpole swimming performance. J. Exp. Biol. 203: 2149–2158. &
- 2001. Delayed costs of an induced defense in tadpoles? Morphology, hopping, and development rate at metamorphosis Evolution 55: 821–829. &
- 2006. Opposite shifts in size at metamorphosis in response to larval and metamorph predators. Ecology 87: 556–562. &
- 1997. The effect of metamorphosis on the repeatability of maximal locomotor performance in the Pacific tree frog Hyla regilla. J. Exp. Biol. 200: 2663–2668.
- 2001. A quantitative genetic test of adaptive decoupling across metamorphosis for locomotor and life-history traits in the Pacific tree frog, Hyla regilla. Evolution 55: 1668–1677.
- 1988. Size, scaling, and the evolution of complex life cycles. In: Size-Structured Populations (B.Ebenman & L.Persson, eds), pp. 60–81. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 2007. Global patterns of diversification and species richness in amphibians. Am. Nat. 170: S86–S106.
- 1980. Complex life cycles. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 11: 67–93.