Immediate and delayed life history effects caused by food deprivation early in life in a short-lived lizard
Article first published online: 12 JUL 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 9, pages 1886–1898, September 2010
How to Cite
MUGABO, M., MARQUIS, O., PERRET, S. and LE GALLIARD, J. F. (2010), Immediate and delayed life history effects caused by food deprivation early in life in a short-lived lizard. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 1886–1898. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02052.x
- Issue published online: 12 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 12 JUL 2010
- Received 4 March 2010; revised 12 May 2010; accepted 1 June 2010
- 2006. Sex-specific life history patterns in bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus): interacting mechanisms influence individual body size. Oecologia 147: 31–38. , &
- 1982. Patterns of growth in reptiles. In: Biology of the Reptilia, Vol. 13 (G.Gans & F.H.Pough, eds), pp. 273–320. Academic Press, New York.
- 1998. Predictable changes in predation mortality as a consequence of changes in food availability and predation risk. Evol. Ecol. 12: 729–738. &
- 1971. Estimates of food consumption by the lizard Lacerta vivipara Jacquin. J. Anim. Ecol. 40: 351–365.
- 2003. Talkin’‘bout my generation: environmental variability and cohort effects. Am. Nat. 162: 754–767. , , &
- 1999. Nestling diet, secondary sexual traits and fitness in the zebra finch. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 266: 385–390. , &
- 2009. Generalized linear mixed models: a practical guide for ecology and evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24: 127–135. , , , , , &
- 1999. Development and cross-species comparison of microsatellite markers in two lizard species, Lacerta vivipara and Podarcis muralis. Mol. Ecol. 8: 518–520. , , &
- 2005. Environmental quality and evolutionary potential: lessons from wild populations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 272: 1415–1425. &
- 2002. Ontogenetic niche shifts and evolutionary branching in size-structured populations. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4: 189–217. &
- 2000. Dwarfs and giants: cannibalism and competition in size-structured populations. Am. Nat. 155: 219–237. , &
- 2010. Carotenoid-based coloration, oxidative stress and corticosterone in common lizards. J. Exp. Biol. (in press). , , &
- 2008. Early nutrition and phenotypic development: ‘catch-up’ growth leads to elevated metabolic rate in adulthood. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 275: 1565–1570. , , &
- 2000. Effects of climate and prey availability on foraging in a social spider, Stegodyphus mimosarum (Araneae, Eresidae). J. Arachnol. 28: 158–168. &
- 2003. The influence of size-dependent life-history traits on the structure and dynamics of populations and communities. Ecol. Lett. 6: 473–487. , &
- 2001. The effect of maternal and paternal environments on seed characters in the herbaceous plant Campanula americana (Campanulaceae). Am. J. Bot. 88: 832–840.
- 1988. On the uses of data on lifetime reproductive success. In: Reproductive Success (T.H.Clutton-Brock, ed), pp. 454–471. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1999. Heritable variation and evolution under favourable and unfavourable conditions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 96–101. &
- 2001. Food availability and immune capacity in serin (Serinus serinus) nestlings. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 49: 333–339. , , &
- 2006. Ontogenetic habitat shift and risk of cannibalism in the common chameleon (Chamaeleo chamaeleon). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 59: 723–731. , &
- 2004. Multiple paternity in clutches of common lizard Lacerta vivipara: data from microsatellite markers. Mol. Ecol. 13: 719–723. , , , &
- 2004. Physical performance and darwinian fitness in lizards. Nature 432: 502–505. , &
- 2005. Juvenile growth and survival under dietary restriction: are males and females equal? Oikos 111: 368–376. , &
- 1999. Early development and fitness in birds and mammals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 342–348.
- 2000. Trade-offs in evolutionary immunology: just what is the cost of immunity? Oikos 88: 87–98. &
- 2001. The contribution of phenotypic plasticity to adaptation in Lacerta vivipara. Evolution 55: 392–404. , &
- 2000. Silver spoons and snake body sizes: prey availability early in life influences long-term growth rates of free-ranging pythons. J. Anim. Ecol. 69: 952–958. &
- 2008. Intergenerational effects of climate generate cohort variation in lizard reproductive performance. Ecology 89: 2575–2583. , &
- 1992. Density dependence in the common lizard: demographic consequences of a density manipulation. Ecology 73: 1742–1756. , , , &
- 2001. Compensation for a bad start: grow now, pay later? Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 254–260. &
- 2008. Early growth conditions, phenotypic development and environmental change. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 363: 1635–1645.
- 1998. The adaptive significance of maternal effects. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 403–407. &
- 2002. Low humidity reduces ectoparasite pressure: implications for host life history evolution. Oikos 97: 223–228. , &
- 2009. Intraspecific competition and high food availability are associated with insular gigantism in a lizard. Naturwissenschaften 96: 1107–1113. , , &
- 2000. Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-PLUS. Springer Verlag, New York. &
- 1997. Environmental maternal effects on locomotor performance in the common lizard (Lacerta vivipara). Evol. Ecol. 11: 531–541. &
- 1996. Phenotypic plasticity of growth and survival in the common lizard Lacerta Vivipara. J. Anim. Ecol. 65: 781–790. , &
- 2002. Experimental tests of intercohort competition for food and cover in the tidepool sculpin (Oligocottus maculosus Girard). Can. J. Zool. Rev. Can. Zool. 80: 137–144.
- 2006. The influence of juvenile and adult environments on life-history trajectories. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 273: 741–750.
- 2008. The PHA test reflects acquired T-cell mediated immunocompetence in birds. PLoS ONE 3: 9. , , &
- 2009. Short- and long-term consequences of early developmental conditions: a case study on wild and domesticated zebra finches. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 387–395. , , , &
- 2001. Speed and stamina trade-off in Lacertid lizards. Evolution 55: 1040–1048. , &
- 2004. Density dependence via intercohort competition in a coral-reef fish. Ecology 85: 986–994.
- 2008. Population feedback after successful invasion leads to ecological suicide in seasonal environments. Ecology 89: 259–268. , &