The purge of genetic load through restricted panmixia in a Drosophila experiment
Version of Record online: 2 AUG 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 9, pages 1937–1946, September 2010
How to Cite
ÁVILA, V., AMADOR, C. and GARCÍA-DORADO, A. (2010), The purge of genetic load through restricted panmixia in a Drosophila experiment. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 1937–1946. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02058.x
- Issue online: 20 AUG 2010
- Version of Record online: 2 AUG 2010
- Received 8 April 2010; revised 18 May 2010; accepted 14 June 2010
- 2010. Regeneration of the variance of metric traits by spontaneous mutation in a Drosophila population. Genet. Res. 92: 91–102. , , &
- 2006. Increase of the spontaneous mutation rate in a long-term experiment with Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 173: 267–277. , , , , &
- 2000. Inbreeding depression due to mildly deleterious mutations in finite populations: size does matter. Genet. Res. 75: 75–81. &
- 2007. An investigation of inbreeding depression and purging in captive pedigreed populations. Heredity 98: 172–182. , &
- 1999. Do plant populations purge their genetic load? Effects of population size and mating history on inbreeding depression Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 30: 479–513. &
- 1992. Effects of partial inbreeding on fixation rates and variation of mutant genes. Genetics 131: 493. &
- 1995. Response to selection from new mutation and effective size of partially inbred populations. I. Theoretical results. Genet. Res. 66: 213–225. &
- 1991. Strategies for increasing fixation probabilities of recessive mutations. Genet. Res. 58: 129–138. , &
- 2002. Perspective: purging the genetic load: a review of the experimental evidence. Evolution 25: 2347–2358. &
- 2010. On epistasis: why it is unimportant in polygenic directional selection. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 365: 1241–1244.
- 1941. Average excess and average effect of a gene substitution. Ann. Eugen 11: 53–63.
- 2008. Experimental evolution of the genetic load and its implications for the genetic basis of inbreeding depression. Evolution 62: 2236–2249. , &
- 2001. Inbreeding and extinction: effects of purging. Conserv. Genet. 2: 279–285. , , &
- 1994. The genetics of viability in Drosophila melanogaster: Effects of inbreeding and artificial selection. Evolution 48: 1277–1285. , &
- 2003. Tolerant versus sensitive genomes: the impact of deleterious mutation on fitness and conservation. Conserv. Genet. 4: 311–324.
- 2007. Shortcut predictions for fitness properties at the MSD balance and for its build-up after size reduction under different management strategies. Genetics 176: 983–997.
- 2008. A simple method to account for natural selection when predicting inbreeding depression. Genetics 180: 1559–1566.
- 2007. The build up of mutation-selection-drift balance in laboratory Drosophila populations. Evolution 61: 653. , , , &
- 2003. How are deleterious mutations purged? Drift versus nonrandom mating. Evolution 57: 2678–2687.
- 2003. Patterns of inbreeding depression and architecture of the load in subdivided populations. Genetics 165: 2193–2212. , &
- 2007. Inferring purging from pedigree data. Evolution 61: 1043–1051. &
- 2000. Inbreeding depression in conservation biology. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 31: 139–162. &
- 2006. When not to avoid inbreeding. Evolution 60: 467–475. &
- 1995. Genetic adaptation to captivity and inbreeding depression in small laboratory populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 139: 255. &
- 2007. Role of inbreeding depression and purging in captive breeding and restoration programmes. Mol. Ecol. 17: 334–343. &
- 1995. Response to selection from new mutation and effective size of partially inbred populations. II. Experiments with Drosophila melanogaster. Genet. Res. 66: 227–240. , &
- 2009. The action of purifying selection, mutation and drift on fitness epistatic systems. Genetics 183: 299–313. , , &
- 2005. A measure of the within chromosome synergistic epistasis for Drosophila viability. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 1130–1137. , &
- 2004. Joint effects of self-fertilization and population structure on mutation load, inbreeding depression and heterosis. Genetics 167: 1001–1015. &
- 2006. Reduced inbreeding depression due to historical inbreeding in Drosophila melanogaster: evidence of purging. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1257–1264. &
- 2000. Effects of population structures and selection strategies on the purging of inbreeding depression due to deleterious mutations. Genet. Res. 76: 75–86.
- 2002. Selection, load and inbreeding depression in a large metapopulation. Genetics 160: 1191–1202.