Present address: Department of Animal Ecology, Evolutionary Biology Centre (EBC), Uppsala University, Norbyvägen 18D, SE-752 36 Uppsala, Sweden.
Sexual conflict in wing size and shape in Drosophila melanogaster
Article first published online: 2 AUG 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 9, pages 1989–1997, September 2010
How to Cite
ABBOTT, J. K., BEDHOMME, S. and CHIPPINDALE, A. K. (2010), Sexual conflict in wing size and shape in Drosophila melanogaster. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 1989–1997. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02064.x
Dryad Digital Repository doi:10.5061/dryad.1754
- Issue published online: 20 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 2 AUG 2010
- Received 27 April 2010; revised 30 June 2010; accepted 1 July 2010
- 2008. Reproductive behavior evolves rapidly when intralocus sexual conflict is removed. PLoS ONE 3: e2187. , , &
- 2007. Proximate causes of Rensch’s rule: does sexual size dimorphism in arthropods result from sex differences in development time? Am. Nat. 169: 245–257. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2009. Condition dependence of developmental stability in the sexually dimorphic fly Telostylinus angusticollis (Diptera: Neriidae). J. Evol. Biol. 22: 861–872.
- 2009. Intralocus sexual conflict. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24: 280–288. &
- 2006. A single basis for developmental buffering of Drosophila wing shape. PLoS ONE 1: 7. , &
- 2007. The association between wing morphology and dispersal is sex-specific in the glanville fritillary butterfly Melitaea cinxia (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). Eur. J. Entomol. 104: 445–452. , &
- 2003. The devil in the details of life-history evolution: instability and reversal of genetic correlations during selection on Drosophila development. J. Genet. 82: 133–145. , &
- 1998. The genetic basis of developmental stability. IV. Individual and population asymmetry parameters. Heredity 80: 553–561.
- 1988. Quantitative genetics of Drosophila melanogaster. II. Heritabilities and genetic correlations between sexes for head and thorax traits. Genetics 119: 421–433. &
- 1986. Quantitative genetics of Drosophila melanogaster. I. Sexual dimorphism in genetic parameters for wing traits. Genetics 114: 549–566. , &
- 2009. Sexually antagonistic selection, sexual dimorphism, and the resolution of intralocus sexual conflict. Am. Nat. 173: 176–187. &
- 2008. Measuring fluctuating asymmetry in plastron scutes of yellow-bellied sliders: the importance of gender, size and body location. Am. Midl. Nat. 159: 340–348. &
- 2010. The quantitative genetics of phenotypic robustness. PLoS ONE 5: e8635. &
- 2008. Cold-rearing improves cold-flight performance in Drosophila via changes in wing morphology. J. Exp. Biol. 211: 2116–2122. , , &
- 2009. Evolution of sexual diimorphism of wing shape in the Drosophila melanogaster subgroup. BMC Evol. Biol. 9: 110. , &
- 2004. Plastic and genetic variation in wing loading as a function of temperature within and among parallel clines in Drosophila subobscura. Integr. Comp. Biol. 44: 461–470. &
- 2001. Rapid evolution of wing size clines in Drosophila subobscura. Genetica 112–113: 273–286. , &
- 2006. On adaptive accuracy and precision in natural populations. Am. Nat. 168: 168–181. , &
- 1998. High enthusiasm and low r-squared. Evolution 52: 1872–1876.
- 1995. Cellular basis and developmental timing in a size cline of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 140: 659–666. , &
- 1999. Body size reaction norms in Drosophila melanogaster: temporal stability and genetic architecture in a natural population. Genet. Sel. Evol. 31: 491–508. , , , &
- 2000. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. IX. Genetic architecture, temperature, and sex differences in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 54: 1035–1040. , , , , &
- 1998. Geometric morphometrics of developmental instability: analyzing patterns of fluctuating asymmetry with Procrustes methods. Evolution 52: 1363–1375. &
- 2007. Adult locomotory activity mediates intralocus sexual conflict in a laboratory-adapted population of Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 274: 3105–3112. &
- 2004. Sexual selection for increased male body size and protandry in a spider. Anim. Behav. 68: 1041–1048. , &
- 1992. Male size, developmental stability, and mating success in natural populations of three Drosophila species. Heredity 69: 122–127. &
- 2005. The dimensionality of genetic variation for wing shape in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 59: 1027–1038. &
- 2003. Sperm-female coevolution in Drosophila. Science 298: 1230–1233. &
- 1998. Bilateral symmetry and sexual selection: a meta-analysis. Am. Nat. 151: 174–192. &
- 2008. Assessing the extent of genome-wide intralocus sexual conflict via experimentally enforced gender-limited selection. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1046–1054. , &
- 2002. Climbing to reach females: Romeo should be small. Evolution 56: 420–425. , &
- 1994. Fluctuating asymmetry analyses: a primer. In: Developmental Instability: Its Origins and Evolutionary Implications (T.A.Markow, ed.). Kluwer, Dordrecht, Netherlands, pp. 335–364.
- 2002. Fluctuating asymmetry analyses revisited. In: Developmental Instability: Causes and Consequences (M.Polak, ed.), pp. 279–319. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 2003. Paucity of genes on the Drosophila X chromosome showing male-biased expression. Science 299: 697–700. , , , , , , &
- 1992. Fluctuating asymmetry: a biological monitor of environmental and genomic stress. Heredity 68: 361–368.
- 1994. Evolution and development of body size and cell size in Drosophila melanogaster in response to temperature. Evolution 48: 1269–1276. , , &
- 2009. Sex-specific genetic variance and the evolution of sexual dimorphism: a systematic review of cross-sex genetic correlations. Evolution 64: 97–107. , &
- 2010. Phenotypic plasticity across 50 MY of evolution: drosophila wing size and temperature. J. Insect Physiol. 56: 380–382. , &
- 2007. An evolutionary cost of separate genders revealed by male-limited expression. Am. Nat. 169: 29–37. , , &
- 1996. Sexual size dimorphism as a correlated response to selection on body size: an empirical test of the quantitative genetic model. Evolution 50: 1927–1938. &
- 1984. Sex chromosomes and the evolution of sexual dimorphism. Evolution 38: 735–742.
- 1996. Sexually antagonistic male adaptation triggered by experimental arrest of female evolution. Nature 381: 232–234.
- 2006. Thermal evolution of pre-adult life history traits, geometic size and shape, and developmental stability in Drosophila subobscura. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 2006–2021. , &
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution 50: 1766–1774.
- 2006. Environmental stress increases skeletal fluctuating asymmetry in the moor frog Rana arvalis. Oecologia 151: 593–604. , , &
- 2008. Wing morphology and fluctuating asymmetry depend on the host plant in cactophilic Drosophila. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 298–609. , , &
- 1988. Sexual selection in a natural population of Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 42: 197–199. &
- 2006. Fluctuating asymmetry in certain morphological traits in laboratory populations of Drosophila ananassae. Genome 49: 777–785. &