Much more than a ratio: multivariate selection on female bodies
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 10, pages 2238–2248, October 2010
How to Cite
BROOKS, R., SHELLY, J. P., FAN, J., ZHAI, L. and CHAU, D. K. P. (2010), Much more than a ratio: multivariate selection on female bodies. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 2238–2248. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02088.x
- Issue published online: 14 SEP 2010
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2010
- Received 18 May 2010; revised 7 July 2010; accepted 24 July 2010
- 2006. Complex multivariate sexual selection on male acoustic signaling in a wild population of Teleogryllus commodus. Am. Nat. 167: E102–E116. , , &
- 1996. Standard errors for the eigenvalues in second-order response surface models. Technometrics 38: 238–246. &
- 2003. Measuring non-linear selection. Am. Nat. 162: 815–820. &
- 2010. Leg length, body proportion, and health: a review with a note on beauty. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 7: 1047–1075. &
- 2006. Female waist-to-hip and male waist-to-shoulder ratios as determinants of romantic partner desirability. J. Soc. Pers. Relat. 23: 805–819. &
- 2008. Fluctuating asymmetry and preferences for sex-typical bodily characteristics. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105: 12938–12943. , , , , &
- 2005. A narrow waist versus broad shoulders: sex and age differences in the jealousy-evoking characteristics of a rival’s body build. Pers. Individ. Dif. 39: 379–389. &
- 1981. Hypothesis for the evolution of human breasts and buttocks. Am. Nat. 117: 199–204.
- 2008. Waist-to-hip ratio across cultures: trade-offs between Androgen- and Estrogen-dependent traits. Curr. Anthropol. 49: 1098–1106.
- 2005. Contrasting mutual sexual selection on homologous signal traits in Drosophila serrata. Evolution 165: 281–289. &
- 2009a. Patterns of eye movements when male and female observers judge female attractiveness, body fat and waist-to-hip ratio. Evol. Hum. Behav. 30: 417–428. , , , &
- 2009b. Patterns of subcutaneous fat deposition and the relationship between body mass index and waist-to-hip ratio: implications for models of physical attractiveness. J. Theor. Biol. 256: 343–350. , &
- 2007. Studies of human physique and sexual attractiveness: sexual preferences of men and women in China. Am. J. Hum. Biol. 19: 88–95. , , &
- 2009. Eye-tracking of men’s preferences for waist-to-hip ratio and breast size of women. Arch. Sex. Behav., doi: 10.1007/s10508-009-9523-5. , , &
- 2010. Male preferences for female waist-to-hip ratio and body mass index in the highlands of Papua New Guinea. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 141: 620–625. , , &
- 2009. Beyond waist–hip ratio: experimental multivariate evidence that average women’s torsos are most attractive. Behav. Ecol. 20: 716–721. , &
- 1981. Applied Regression Analysis, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons, New York. &
- 2004. Visual perception of female physical attractiveness. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 271: 347–352. , , &
- 2005. Visual perception of male body attractiveness. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 272: 219–226. , , &
- 2007. Effects of shape parameters on the attractiveness of a female body. Percept. Mot. Skills 105: 117–132. , , , &
- 2010. The influence of leg-to-body ratio (LBR) on judgments of female physical attractiveness: assessments of computer-generated images varying in LBR. Body Image 7: 51–55. , , &
- 2005. The effect of body mass index and waist-to-hip ratio and breast size correlates of ratings of attractiveness and health. Pers. Individ. Dif. 38: 1823–1834. , &
- 2006. Body weight, waist-to-hip ratio and breast size correlates of ratings of attractiveness and health. Pers. Individ. Dif. 41: 443–454. , &
- 2005. The evolution of human physical attractiveness. Annu. Rev. Anthropol. 34: 523–548. &
- 2009. Experimental analysis of multivariate female choice in gray treefrogs (Hyla versicolor): evidence for directional and stabilizing selection. Evolution 63: 2504–2512. &
- 2009. Quantifying female bodily attractiveness by a statistical analysis of body measurements. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 123: 1064–1071. , &
- 1994. Beauty and the labour market. Am. Econ. Rev. 84: 1174–1194. &
- 1995. Waist-to-hip ratio and attractiveness: replication and extension. Pers. Individ. Dif. 19: 479–488.
- 2004. Large breasts and narrow waists indicate high reproductive potential in women. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 271: 1213–1217. , , , &
- 1999. The fallacy of ratios and the testability of models in biology. Oikos 84: 321–326. &
- 2007. Compatibility of basic social perceptions determines perceived attractiveness. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 104: 5246–5251. &
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 2006. Changes in body fat distribution in relation to parity in American women: a covert form of maternal depletion. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 131: 295–302. &
- 2003. Nonlinear and correlational sexual selection on ‘honest’ female ornamentation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 2159–2165. , &
- 2006. Perceived body size affected by garment and body mass index. Percept. Mot. Skills 103: 253–264. , &
- 2009. Determinants and consequences of female attractiveness and sexiness: realistic tests with restaurant waitresses. Arch. Sex. Behav. 38: 737–745.
- 2005. Men’s preferences for women’s profile waist-to-hip ratio in two societies. Evol. Hum. Behav. 26: 458–468. , &
- 1986. Evolutionary perspectives on permanent breast enlargement in human females. Am. Anthropol. 88: 423–428. , &
- 2009. Spent: Sex, Evolution and Consumer Behaviour. Viking, New York.
- 2006. Why beauty matters. Am. Econ. Rev. 96: 222–235. &
- 1999. Permanent breasts as a side effect of subcutaneous fat tissue increase in human evolution. HOMO 50: 149–162.
- 1989. Visualizing multivariate selection. Evolution 43: 1209–1222. &
- 2009. Abdominal depth and waist circumference as influential determinants of human female attractiveness. Evol. Hum. Behav. 30: 21–31. , , , &
- 1988. A weight shape index for assessing risk of disease in 44,820 women. J. Clin. Epidemiol. 41: 459–465. , &
- 2005. Men’s ratings of female attractiveness are influenced more by changes in female waist size compared with changes in hip size. Biol. Psychol. 68: 299–308. &
- 2008. Comparing complex fitness surfaces: among-population variation in mutual sexual selection in Drosophila serrata. Am. Nat. 171: 443–454. , &
- 2004. Applying evolutionary psychology in understanding the representation of women in advertisements. Psychol. Mark. 21: 593–612.
- 1993a. Adaptive significance of female physical attractiveness: role of waist-to-hip ratio. J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 65: 293–307.
- 1993b. Body shape and women’s attractiveness – the critical role of waist-to-hip ratio. Hum. Nat. 4: 297–321.
- 1994. Ethnic and gender consensus for the effect of waist-to-hip ratio on judgements of women’s attractiveness. Hum. Nat. 6: 51–65. &
- 1995. Body weight, waist-to-hip ratio, breasts, and hips: role in judgments of female attractiveness and desirability for relationships. Ethol. Sociobiol. 16: 483–507. &
- 2007. An analysis of body shape attractiveness based on image statistics: evidence for a dissociation between expressions of preference and shape discrimination. Vis. Cogn. 15: 927–953. , , , , &
- 2008. Estimating non-linear selection gradients using quadratic regression coefficients: double or nothing? Evolution 62: 2435–2440. , , , &
- 2003. Waist-hip ratio and attractiveness: new evidence and a critique of “a critical test”. Evol. Hum. Behav. 24: 88–98. &
- 2008. Weight-based discrimination in occupational hiring and helping behavior. J. Appl. Soc. Psychol. 38: 968–981. , , , &
- 2010. The attractive female body weight and female body dissatisfaction in 26 countries across 10 world regions: results of the International Body Project I. Pers. Soc. Psychol. Bull. 36: 309–325. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1998. A critical test of the waist-to-hip-ratio hypothesis of female physical attractiveness. Psychol. Sci. 9: 150–155. Direct Link: &
- 1998. Optimum body-mass index and maximum sexual attractiveness. Lancet 352: 548. , , &
- 1999. Visual cues to female physical attractiveness. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 266: 211–218. , , &
- 2002. Human female attractiveness: waveform analysis of body shape. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 269: 2205–2213. , , , &
- 2009. Multiple correlated cues to female physical attractiveness create multicollinearity problems. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 124: 1371–1372.
- 2005. Physical attractiveness and health in western societies: a review. Psychol. Bull. 131: 635–653. &
- 2007. BMI compared with 3-dimensional body shape: the UK National Sizing Survey. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 85: 419–425. , &
- 2008a. Age-variability in body shape associated with excess weight: The UK National Sizing Survey. Obesity 16: 435–441. , &
- 2008b. Whole-body three-dimensional photonic scanning: a new technique for obesity research and clinical practice. Int. J. Obes. 32: 232–238. , &
- 1993. Prospective study of the effect of body fat distribution on conception rates. Br. Med. J. 306: 484–487. , , , , , &