A comprehensive assessment of geographic variation in heat tolerance and hardening capacity in populations of Drosophila melanogaster from eastern Australia
Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 11, pages 2484–2493, November 2010
How to Cite
SGRÒ, C. M., OVERGAARD, J., KRISTENSEN, T. N., MITCHELL, K. A., COCKERELL, F. E. and HOFFMANN, A. A. (2010), A comprehensive assessment of geographic variation in heat tolerance and hardening capacity in populations of Drosophila melanogaster from eastern Australia. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 2484–2493. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02110.x
- Issue online: 21 OCT 2010
- Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2010
- Received 22 May 2010; revised 19 July 2010; accepted 22 July 2010
- 1995. Chromosomal analysis of heat-shock tolerance in D. melanogaster evolving at different temperatures in the laboratory. Evolution 49: 676–684. , , &
- 2004. Insect Physiological Ecology. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2007. Physiological diversity in insects: ecological and evolutionary contexts. Adv. In Insect. Phys. 33: 51–152. &
- 1987. Temperature Biology of Animals. Chapman and Hall, New York. &
- 2008. Impacts of climate warming on terrestrial ectotherms across latitude. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105: 6668–6672. , , , , , &
- 1977. Geographic Variation, Speciation and Clines. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 1997. Natural thermal stress and heat-shock protein expression in Drosophila larvae and pupae. Funct. Ecol. 11: 90–100. , &
- 2006. Are mountain passes higher in the tropics? Janzen’s hypothesis revisited. Integr. Comp. Biol. 46: 5–17. , , , &
- 2010. Physiological climatic limits in Drosophila: patterns and implications. J. Exp. Biol. 213: 870–880.
- 1993. Geographical variation in responses of Drosophila to climatic extremes. Am. Nat. 142: S93–S113. &
- 2007. Climatic selection on genes and traits after a 100 year-old invasion: a critical look at the temperate-tropical clines in Drosophila melanogaster from eastern Australia. Genetica 129: 133–147. &
- 2002. Opposing clines for high and low temperature resistance in Drosophila melanogaster. Ecol. Lett. 5: 614–618. , &
- 2003. Adaptation of Drosophila to temperature extremes: bringing together quantitative and molecular approaches. J. Therm. Biol. 28: 175–216. , &
- 1995. Thermal evolution of rate of larval development in Drosophila melanogaster in laboratory and field populations. J. Evol. Biol. 8: 315–330. &
- 1967. Why mountain passes are higher in the tropics. Am. Nat. 101: 233–247.
- 2010. Adult heat tolerance variation in Drosophila melanogaster is not related to Hsp70 expression. J. Exp. Zool. 313A: 35–44. , , , , , &
- 2009. Linking thermal tolerances and biogeography: Mytilus edulis (L.) at its southern limit on the east coast of the United States. Biol. Bull. 217: 73–85. , &
- 2008. Acclimation effects on critical and lethal thermal limits of workers of the Argentine ant, Linepithema humile. J. Insect Physiol. 54: 1008–1014. , , , &
- 2005. Hardening capacity in the Drosophila melanogaster species group is constrained by basal thermotolerance. Funct. Ecol. 19: 853–858. , &
- 2001. Rapid cold-hardening of Drosophila melanogaster (Diptera : Drosophilidae) during ecologically based thermoperiodic cycles. J. Exp. Biol. 204: 1659–1666. &
- 2008. Costs and benefits of cold acclimation in field-released Drosophila. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105: 216–221. , , , , &
- 1969. Thermal acclimation and heat resistance in Drosophila species. Am. Nat. 103: 483–499.
- 2009. Plasticity versus environmental canalization: population differences in thermal responses along a latitudinal gradient in Drosophila serrata. Evolution 63: 1954–1963. , &
- 2007. Consequences of heat hardening on a field fitness component in Drosophila depend on environmental temperature. Am. Nat. 169: 175–183. &
- 2002. Shifting clinal patterns and micrsatellite variation in Drosophila serrata populations: a comparison of populations near the southern border of the species range. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 763–774. , &
- 2008. Asymmetrical thermal constraints on the parapatric species boundaries of two widespread generalist butterflies. Ecol. Entomol. 33: 537–545. &
- 2006. Reorganization of membrane lipids during fast and slow cold hardening in Drosophila melanogaster. Physiol. Entomol. 31: 328–335. , , , &
- 2005. Adaptations to environmental stress in altitudinal populations of two Drosophila species. Physiol. Entomol. 30: 353–361. , , &
- 2008. Evolution of thermotolerance in seasonal environments: the effects of annual temperature variation and life-history timing in Wyeomyia smithii. Evolution 62: 1345–1357. &
- 2009. Local adaptation of stress related traits in Drosophila buzzatii and Drosophila simulans in spite of high gene flow. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 1111–1122. , &
- 2003. Evolution of additive and non-additive genetic variation in development time along a cline in Drosophila serrata. Evolution 57: 1846–1851. &
- 2010. The physiology of climate change: how potentials for acclimatization and genetic adaptation will determine ‘winners’ and ‘losers’. J. Exp. Biol. 213: 912–920.
- 2005. Full genome gene expression analysis of the heat stress response in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Stress Chaperon 10: 312–328. , , , &
- 2002. Causes and consequences of thermal tolerance limits in rocky intertidal porcelain crabs, genus Petrolisthes. Integr. Comp. Biol. 42: 790–796.
- 2007. Critical thermal limits depend on methodological context. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 274: 2935–2942. , , , &