Experimental evolution of protozoan traits in response to interspecific competition
Article first published online: 21 OCT 2010
© 2010 The Author. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 36–46, January 2011
How to Cite
TerHORST, C. P. (2011), Experimental evolution of protozoan traits in response to interspecific competition. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 36–46. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02140.x
- Issue published online: 17 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 21 OCT 2010
- Received 15 June 2010; revised 3 September 2010; accepted 8 September 2010
- 1956. Character displacement. Syst. Zool. 5: 49–65. &
- 1998. Interspecific variation in the abundance, production and emergence of Daphnia diapausing eggs. Ecology 79: 1699–1710.
- 2007. Evolution on ecological time scales. Funct. Ecol. 21: 387–393. , , &
- 2003. Ecological Niches: Linking Classical and Contemporary Approaches. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois. &
- 1980. Diversity and the coevolution of competitors, or the ghost of competition past. Oikos 35: 131–138.
- 1983. On the prevalence and relative importance of interspecific competition: evidence from field experiments. Am. Nat. 5: 661–696.
- 2002. Cyst ornamentation in aquatic invertebrates: a defence against egg predation. Hydrobiologia 486: 161–167. , &
- 2008. Molecular phylogenetic analysis of class Colpodea (phylum Ciliophora) using broad taxon sampling. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 6: 316–327. , &
- 2002. Population dynamics of active and total ciliate populations in arable soil amended with wheat. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 68: 1096–1101. , &
- 1997. Local versus global diversity of microorganisms: cryptic diversity of ciliated protozoa. Oikos 80: 220–225. , &
- 2009. A cover of glass: first report of biomineralized silicon in a ciliate, Maryna umbrellata (Ciliophora: Colpodea). J. Eukaryot. Microbiol. 56: 519–530. , , &
- 2002. Testing a simple rule for dominance in resource competition. Am. Nat. 159: 305–319.
- 2008. Character convergence under competition for nutritionally essential resources. Am. Nat. 172: 667–680. &
- 1934. Experimental studies on the struggle for existence I. Mixed population of two species of yeast. J. Exp. Biol. 9: 389–402.
- 1992. Patterns and consequences of interspecific competition in natural communities: a review of field experiments with plants. Am. Nat. 139: 771–801. &
- 1996. Effect of coexistence on competitive outcome in Tribolium castaneum and Tribolium confusum. Evolution 50: 1241–1250. &
- 1992. A meta-analysis of competition in field experiments. Am. Nat. 140: 539–572. , , &
- 2010. Evolution of prey in ecological time reduces the effect size of predators in experimental microcosms. Ecology 91: 629–636. , &
- 1996. Evolution of broad and specific competitive ability in novel versus competitive environments in Drosophila species. Evolution 50: 188–194. &
- 2002. Species diversity and trade-offs in pitcher plant (Sarracenia purpurea) inquiline communities. Ph.D. Dissertation, Florida State University.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 2004. From metapopulations to metacommunities. In: Ecology, Genetics, and Evolution of Metapopulations (I.Hanski & O.Gaggiotti, eds), pp. 133–150. Academic Press, San Diego, California. &
- 1990. r- and K-selection in soil ciliates: a field and experimental approach. Oecologia 66: 574–579. , &
- 1967. The limiting similarity, convergence, and divergence of coexisting species. Am. Nat. 101: 377–385. &
- 2005. Resource competition and adaptive radiation in a microbial microcosm. Ecol. Lett. 8: 38–46. , &
- 1972. Niche overlap as a function of environmental variability. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 69: 1109–1113. &
- 2009. Interspecific competition alters natural selection on shade avoidance phenotypes in Impatiens capensis. New Phytol. 183: 880–891. &
- 1995. Evolution of Brassica rapa L. (Cruciferae) populations in intra- and interspecific competition. Evolution 49: 1125–1133.
- 2005. Inquiline communities in pitcher plants as prototypical metacommunities. In: Metacommunities: Spatial Dynamics and Ecological Communities (M.Holyoak, M.A.Leibold & R.D.Holt, eds), pp. 122–145. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois. &
- 1994. Intraspecific and interspecific competition of Wyeomyia smithii (COQ) (Culcidae) in pitcher plant communities. Am. Midl. Nat. 131: 136–145. , , , , , , , &
- 2008. RNA-mediated epigenetic programming of a genome-rearrangement pathway. Nature 451: 153–158. , , , &
- 1997. Density-dependent natural selection in Drosophila: evolution of growth rate and body size. Evolution 51: 420–432. , , , &
- 1994. Experimental evidence that competition promotes divergence in adaptive radiation. Science 266: 798–801.
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1983. Field experiments on interspecific competition. Am. Nat. 122: 240–285.
- 2008. Selection for character displacement is constrained by the genetic architecture of floral traits in the ivyleaf morning glory. Evolution 62: 2829–2841. &
- 1997. Evolution of foraging behavior in Drosophila by density-dependent selection. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94: 7373–7377. , &
- 1992. The monophyly of Brachyuran crabs: a phylogenetic study based on 18S rRNA. Syst. Biol. 41: 446–461. , &
- 2004. Are natural microcosms useful model systems for ecology? Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 379–384. , , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Consequences of intraspecific competition and environmental variation for selection in the mustard Sinapsis arvensis: contrasting ecological and evolutionary perspectives. Am. Nat. 164: 736–752. , &
- 2008. Evolution in ecological field experiments: implications for effect size. Ecol. Lett. 11: 199–207. , , &
- 1979. Tests of community-wide character displacement against null hypotheses. Evolution 33: 897–913. , &
- 1990. Experimental character displacement in the adzuki bean weevil, Callosobruchus chinensis. In: Bruchids and Legumes: Economics, Ecology and Coevolution (K.Fujii, A.M.R.Gatehouse, C.D.Johnson, R.Mitchell & T.Yoshida, eds), pp. 289–301. Kluwer Academic, The Netherlands.
- 2008. Experimental demonstration of ecological character displacement. BMC Evol. Biol. 8: 34. , , &
- 1969. Competitive structure of communities: an experimental approach with protozoa. Ecology 50: 362–371.
- 2004. Effects of salt concentration and bacteria on encystment induction in ciliated protozoan Colpoda sp. Acta Protozool. 43: 93–98. , &