Nuptial coloration varies with ambient light environment in a freshwater fish
Article first published online: 21 OCT 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 23, Issue 12, pages 2718–2725, December 2010
How to Cite
MORRONGIELLO, J. R., BOND, N. R., CROOK, D. A. and WONG, B. B. M. (2010), Nuptial coloration varies with ambient light environment in a freshwater fish. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 23: 2718–2725. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02149.x
- Issue published online: 15 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 21 OCT 2010
- Received 19 July 2010; revised 8 September 2010; accepted 15 September 2010
- 1994. Sexual Selection. Princetown University Press, Princetown, NJ.
- 1996. Armaments and ornaments: an evolutionary explanation of traits of dual utility. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 58: 385–399. , &
- 2008. A simple method for measuring colour in wild animals: validation and use on chest patch colour in geladas (Theropithecus gelada). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 94: 231–240. &
- 2001. Divergent sexual selection enhances reproductive isolation in sticklebacks. Nature 411: 944–948.
- 2002. Model Selection and Inference: A Practical Information-Theoretic Approach, 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag, New York, NY. &
- 1999. Male–male competition facilitates female choice in sticklebacks. Proc. R. Soc. B 266: 785–789.
- 2007. Molecular genetic and stable isotope signatures reveal complementary patterns of population connectivity in the regionally vulnerable southern pygmy perch (Nannoperca australis). Biol. Conserv. 138: 60–72. , &
- 2001. Countergradient variation and secondary sexual color: phenotypic convergence promotes genetic divergence in careotenoid use between sympatric anadromous and nonanadromous morphs of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Evolution 55: 380–391. &
- 1980. Natural-selection on color patterns in Poecilia reticulata. Evolution 34: 76–91.
- 1990. On the measurement and classification of color in studies of animal color patterns. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 41: 315–352.
- 1992. Signals, signal conditions, and the direction of evolution. Am. Nat. 139: S125–S153.
- 1993. The color of light in forests and its implications. Ecol. Monogr. 63: 1–27.
- 1995. Geographic variation in female preferences for male traits in Poecilia reticulata. Evolution 49: 456–468. &
- 2005. Comparing entire colour patterns as birds see them. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 86: 405–431. &
- 1992. Parasites, bright males and the immunocompetence handicap. Am. Nat. 139: 603–622. &
- 2002. Lighting environment predicts the relative abundance of male colour morphs in bluefin killifish (Lucania goodei) populations. Proc. R. Soc. B 269: 1457–1465.
- 2001. Molecular Systematics and Conservation Biology of the Southern Pygmy Perch Nannoperca australis (Günther, 1861) (Teleostei: Percichthyidae) in South-Eastern Australia. BSc (hons). Department of Environmental Biology, Adelaide University, Adelaide.
- 1995. Life history, food and habitat of southern pygmy perch, Nannoperca australis, in the Macquarie River, Tasmania. Mar. Freshw. Res. 46: 1159–1169.
- 2004. Differences in visual signal design and detectability between allopatric populations of Anolis lizards. Am. Nat. 163: 26–39. &
- 2008. Effects of genetics and light environment on colour expression in threespine sticklebacks. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 94: 663–673. &
- 1979. The Ecology of Vision. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2006. Sensory drive in cichlid speciation. Am. Nat. 167: 947–954. , , &
- 1993. Dark habitats and bright birds illustrate the role of the environment in species divergence. Nature 362: 149–152.
- 1996. Forming inferences about some intraclass correlation coefficients. Psychol. Methods 1: 30–46. &
- 1990. Female sticklebacks use male coloration in mate choice and hence avoid parasitized males. Nature 344: 330–333. &
- 1976. A Study of the Behaviour and Breeding Biology of the Southern Pigmy Perch Nannoperca australis australis (Günther) (Teleostei, Nannopercidae). BSc (hons). Department of Zoology, University of Melbourne, Melbourne.
- 2000. Mixed Effects Models in S and S-plus. Spinger-Verlag, New York. &
- 2002. Experimental Design and Data Analysis for Biologists. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. &
- R Development Core Team 2006. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2007. Can chemical communication be cryptic? Adaptations by herbivores to natural enemies exploiting prey semiochemistry. Behav. Ecol. 153: 1009–1019. , , &
- 1989. Loss of nuptial color in threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Evolution 43: 450–460.
- 1997. Cichlid fish diversity threatened by eutrophication that curbs sexual selection. Science 277: 1808–1811. , &
- 2008. Speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fish. Nature 455: 620–626. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2006. Cities change the songs of birds. Curr. Biol. 16: 2326–2331. &
- 2007. Using digital photography to study animal coloration. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 90: 211–237. , , , &
- 2007. Natural selection on social signals: signal efficacy and the evolution of chameleon display coloration. Am. Nat. 170: 916–930. , &
- 2005. Chromatic interaction between egg pigmentation and skin chromatophores in the nuptial coloration of female two-spotted gobies. J. Exp. Biol. 208: 4391–4397. , , &
- 2006. Does female nuptial coloration reflect egg carotenoids and clutch quality in the Two-Spotted Goby (Gobiusculus flavescens, Gobiidae)? Funct. Ecol. 20: 689–698. , , , &
- 2006. Silent night: adaptive disappearance of a sexual signal in a parasitized population of field crickets. Biol. Lett. 2: 521–524. , &
- 2009. Mixed Effects Models and Extensions in Ecology with R. Springer, New York. , , , &