Genetic variation and co-variation for fitness between intra-population and inter-population backgrounds in the red flour beetle, Tribolium castaneum
Version of Record online: 2 NOV 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 168–176, January 2011
How to Cite
DRURY, D. W. and WADE, M. J. (2011), Genetic variation and co-variation for fitness between intra-population and inter-population backgrounds in the red flour beetle, Tribolium castaneum. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 168–176. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02151.x
- Issue online: 17 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 2 NOV 2010
- Received 28 July 2010; revised 14 September 2010; accepted 20 September 2010
- 1990. Genotype by environment interaction and genetic correlations among parities for somatic cell count and milk yield. J. Dairy Sci. 73: 2563–2573. &
- 1975. Genetics of speciation at diploid level. Am. Nat. 109: 83–92.
- 1987. The relative rates of evolution of sex chromosomes and autosomes. Am. Nat. 130: 113–146. , &
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. &
- 1970. An Introduction to Population Genetics Theory. Harper & Row, New York. &
- 1961. Genetic analysis of crossbreeding beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 20: 849–857. , , , &
- 2005. On the theoretical and empirical framework for studying genetic interactions within and among species. Am. Nat. 165: 524–536. &
- 2007. Population differentiation in the beetle Tribolium castaneum. I. Genetic architecture. Evolution 61: 494–509. &
- 2009. Genetic differentiation among wild populations of Tribolium castaneum estimated using microsatellite markers. J. Hered. 100: 732–741. , &
- 1990. Covariances among sire by breed group of dam interaction effects in multibreed sire evaluation procedures. J. Anim. Sci. 68: 4079–4099.
- 1952. The problem of environment and selection. Am. Nat. 86: 293.
- 1993. Pleiotropic models of polygenic variation, stabilizing selection, and epistasis. Genetics 134: 609–625. &
- 2004. Population Genetics: A Concise Guide, 2nd edn. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore.
- 1989. Genotypic variation for a quantitative character maintained under stabilizing selection without mutations: epistasis. Genetics 123: 217–227.
- 1995. Epistasis and the increase in additive genetic variance – implications for Phase-1 of Wrights Shifting-Balance Process. Evolution 49: 502–511.
- 2000. Quantitative trait loci and gene interaction: the quantitative genetics of metapopulations. Heredity 84: 587–598.
- 2004. Gene interaction and selection. In: Long Term Selection: Maize. Plant Breeding Reviews, Vol. 24 (K.Lamkey, ed.), pp. 269–292. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken.
- 2005. Multilevel selection: the evolution of cooperation in non-kin groups. Popul. Ecol. 47: 3–12.
- 2000. The ongoing synthesis: a reply to Coyne, Barton, and Turelli. Evolution 54: 317–324. &
- 2009. Genomic selection of purebreds for crossbred performance. Genet. Sel. Evol. 41: 12. , , &
- 1996. Genetic covariances within and between species: indirect selection for hybrid inviability. J. Evol. Biol. 9: 205–214. &
- 1962. On the probability of fixation of mutant genes in a population. Genetics 47: 713–719.
- 1989. Nonparametric confidence interval estimators for heritability and expected selection response. Genetics 121: 891–898. , &
- 1991. Randomization and Monte Carlo methods in Biology, 1st edn. Chapman and Hall, London, New York.
- 1963. Animal Species and Evolution. Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, Cambridge.
- 1981. The populational effects of inbreeding in Tribolium. Heredity 46: 59–67. &
- 1995. The population-genetics of speciation – the evolution of hybrid incompatibilities. Genetics 139: 1805–1813.
- 2010. The population genetics of beneficial mutations. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365: 1195–1201.
- 2009. Dynamics of hybrid incompatibility in gene networks in a constant environment. Evolution 63: 418–431. &
- 2001. Genetic parameters of reproductive traits in Brown Tsaiya ducks artificially inseminated with semen from Muscovy drakes. Poult. Sci. 80: 703–709. , , , , &
- 1994. Postcopulatory, prezygotic isolation – intraspecific and interspecific sperm precedence in Tribolium Spp, Flour Beetles. Heredity 73: 155–159. , &
- 1996. The evolution of threshold traits in animals. Q. Rev. Biol. 71: 3–35.
- 1997. Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2006. Introduction to Computer-Intensive Methods of Data Analysis in Biology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1975. Sire effects for specific combining ability in purebred and crossbred cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 40: 230–234. , , &
- 1994. The effect of environmental variability on the heritabilities of traits of a field cricket. Evolution 48: 1637–1649. &
- 1972. The biology of Tribolium: with Special Emphasis on Genetic Aspects. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 1980. The theory of speciation via the founder principle. Genetics 94: 1011–1038.
- 1976. Group selections among laboratory populations of Tribolium. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 73: 4604–4607.
- 1977. Experimental-study of group selection. Evolution 31: 134–153.
- 1990. Genotype-environment interaction for climate and competition in a natural-population of flour beetles, Tribolium-Castaneum. Evolution 44: 2004–2011.
- 1991. Genetic variance for rate of population increase in natural-populations of flour beetles, Tribolium Spp. Evolution 45: 1574–1584.
- 2001. Epistasis, complex traits, and mapping genes. Genetica 112: 59–69.
- 2002. A gene’s eye view of epistasis, selection, and speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 337–346.
- 1991. Wright shifting balance theory – an experimental-study. Science 253: 1015–1018. &
- 1994. Genetic interaction between sire and population of mates in Drosophila-Melanogaster. Genet. Sel. Evol. 26: 253–261. &
- 1994. Reproductive isolation between 2 species of flour beetles, Tribolium-Castaneum and T-Freemani – variation within and among geographical populations of T-Castaneum. Heredity 72: 155–162. &
- 1984. Group selection – the interaction of local deme size and migration in the differentiation of small populations. Evolution 38: 1047–1058. &
- 1994. Analysis of autosomal polygenic variation for the expression of haldanes rule in flour beetles. Genetics 138: 791–799. , &
- 1977. Evolution and the Genetics of Populations: Genetics and Biometric Foundations v. 3 (Experimental Results and Evolutionary Deductions). University of Chicago Press, Chicago.