Altitudinal and seasonal variation in microsatellite allele frequencies of Drosophila buzzatii
Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2010 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 2, pages 430–439, February 2011
How to Cite
BARKER, J. S. F., FRYDENBERG, J., SARUP, P. and LOESCHCKE, V. (2011), Altitudinal and seasonal variation in microsatellite allele frequencies of Drosophila buzzatii. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 430–439. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02180.x
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2011
- Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2010
- Received 17 September 2010; revised 20 October 2010; accepted 21 October 2010
- 1960. Some recent contributions to the study of the distribution and abundance of insects. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 5: 219–242. &
- 2004. Bergmann’s clines in ectotherms: illustrating a life-history perspective with sceloporine lizards. Am. Nat. 164: E168–E183. , , , &
- 2006. Global genetic change tracks global climate warming in Drosophila subobscura. Science 313: 1773–1775. , , , &
- 2009. Bottlenecks, population differentiation and apparent selection at microsatellite loci in Australian Drosophila buzzatii. Heredity 102: 389–401 (Corrigendum –Heredity102: 626). , , , , , &
- 2005. Variation of life-history and morphometrical traits in Drosophila buzzatii and Drosophila simulans collected along an altitudinal gradient from a Canary island. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 84: 119–136. &
- 2006. Altitudinal patterns for latitudinally varying traits and polymorphic markers in Drosophila melanogaster from eastern Australia. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 473–482. , &
- 2001. Behavioral differentiation in oviposition activity in Drosophila buzzatii from highland and lowland populations in Argentina: plasticity or thermal adaptation? Evolution 55: 738–747. , &
- 1983. Ecophysiology: abiotic Factors. In: The Genetics and Biology of Drosophila, Vol. 3d (M.Ashburner, H.L.Carson & J.N.J.Thompson, eds), pp. 105–170. Academic Press, London. , , &
- 1997. Phenotypic plasticity and developmental temperature in Drosophila: analysis and significance of reaction norms of morphometrical traits. J. Therm. Biol. 22: 441–451. , , , , , &
- 2005. Arlequin (ver. 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1: 47–50. , &
- 2009. Detecting loci under selection in a hierarchically structured population. Heredity 103: 285–298. , &
- 2008. Clinal variation in developmental time and viability, and the response to thermal treatments in two species of Drosophila. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 95: 233–245. , , , &
- 1981. Evolutionary history of Drosophila buzzatii. I. Natural chromosomal polymorphism in colonized populations of the old world. Evolution 35: 148–157. , , &
- 2002. Genetic variation in original and colonizing Drosophila buzzatii populations analysed by microsatellite loci isolated with a new PCR screening method. Mol. Ecol. 11: 181–190. , , &
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Mol. Ecol. 17: 167–178. , , , &
- 2002. Fstat. A program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices. 184.108.40.206. See http://www2.unil.ch/popgen/softwares/fstat.htm.
- 2005. HIERFSTAT, a package for R to compute and test hierarchical F-statistics. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5: 184–186.
- 1995. The evolutionary history of Drosophila buzzatii. XXVI. Macrogeographic patterns of inversion polymorphism in New World populations. J. Evol. Biol. 8: 369–384. , , , , &
- 1988. A sharper Bonferroni procedure for multiple tests of significance. Biometrika 75: 800–802.
- 2008. Revisiting the Impact of Inversions in Evolution: from Population Genetic Markers to Drivers of Adaptive Shifts and Speciation? Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 39: 21–42. &
- 2003a. Low potential for climatic stress adaptation in a rainforest Drosophila species. Science 301: 100–102. , , &
- 2003b. Adaptation of Drosophila to temperature extremes: bringing together quantitative and molecular approaches. J. Therm. Biol. 28: 175–216. , &
- 2008. A reciprocal transplant study of activity, body size, and winter survivorship in juvenile lizards from two sites at different altitude. Ecoscience 15: 298–304. , &
- 1995. Thermal evolution of rate of larval development in Drosophila melanogaster in laboratory and field populations. J. Evol. Biol. 8: 315–330. &
- 2009. Genetic differentiation between alpine and lowland populations of a butterfly is related to PGI enzyme genotype. Ecography 32: 488–496. , &
- Krimbas, C.B. & Powell, J.R. (eds) 1992. Drosophila Inversion Polymorphism. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla., USA.
- 1999. Latitudinal variation in wild populations of Drosophila melanogaster: heritabilities and reaction norms. J. Evol. Biol. 12: 222–232. , , , &
- 2003. Latitudinal countergradient variation in the common frog (Rana temporaria) development rates – evidence for local adaptation. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 996–1005. , , &
- 1992. Testing electrophoretic data for agreement with Hardy–Weinberg expectations. Mar. Biol. 112: 517–523.
- 2000. Variation in body size and life history traits in Drosophila aldrichi and D. buzzatii from a latitudinal cline in eastern Australia. Heredity 85: 423–433. , &
- 2010. A clinally varying promoter polymorphism associated with adaptive variation in wing size in Drosophila. Mol. Ecol. 19: 775–784. , , , , , , , , &
- 2007. A step-by-step tutorial to use HierFstat to analyse populations hierarchically structured at multiple levels. Infect. Genet. Evol. 7: 731–735. &
- 2010. Stage-specific effects of candidate heterochronic genes on variation in developmental time along an altitudinal cline of Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE 5: e11229. , , , , , &
- 2009. Genetic Constraints on Adaptation? Science 325: 1212–1213.
- 1992. Lapse rates and other variables applied to estimating paleoaltitudes from fossil floras. Palaeogeogr. Palaeoclimatol. Palaeoecol. 99: 71–99.
- 2006. Altitudinal patterns for longevity, fecundity and senescence in Drosophila buzzatii. Genetica 128: 81–93. , , &
- 1982. Alcohol dehydrogenase and glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase clines in Drosophila melanogaster on different continents. Evolution 36: 86–96. , , , , &
- 2004. GENECLASS2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. J. Hered. 95: 536–539. , , , , &
- 1995. GENEPOP (Version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86: 248–249. &
- 2006. Developmental time and size-related traits in Drosophila buzzatii along an altitudinal gradient from Argentina. Hereditas 143: 77–83. , &
- 2005. Temperature-related genetic changes in laboratory populations of Drosophila subobscura: evidence against simple climatic-based explanations for latitudinal clines. Am. Nat. 165: 258–273. , , , , , &
- 2010. Developmental acclimation affects clinal variation in heat resistance traits in Drosophila buzzatii J. Evol. Biol. 23: 957–965. &
- 2006. Climatic adaptation of Drosophila buzzatii populations in southeast Australia. Heredity 96: 479–486. , , , &
- 2009. Local adaptation of stress related traits in Drosophila buzzatii and Drosophila simulans in spite of high gene flow. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 1111–1122. , &
- 2001. Genetic variation in thermal tolerance among natural populations of Drosophila buzzatii: down regulation of Hsp70 expression and variation in heat stress resistance traits. Funct. Ecol. 15: 289–296. , &
- 2005. Altitudinal variation for stress resistance traits and thermal adaptation in adult Drosophila buzzatii from the New World. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 829–837. , , &
- 2002. Dissecting adaptive clinal variation: markers, inversions and size/stress associations in Drosophila melanogaster from a central field population. Ecol. Lett. 5: 756–763. , &
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38: 1358–1370. &