Rapid shifts in multiple life history traits in a population of threespine stickleback
Article first published online: 31 JAN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 4, pages 863–870, April 2011
How to Cite
BAKER, J. A., HEINS, D. C., KING, R. W. and FOSTER, S. A. (2011), Rapid shifts in multiple life history traits in a population of threespine stickleback. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 863–870. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02217.x
- Issue published online: 14 MAR 2011
- Article first published online: 31 JAN 2011
- Received 6 October 2010; revised 30 November 2010; accepted 17 December 2010
- 1994. Life history variation in female threespine stickleback. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (W.A.Bell & S.A.Foster, eds), pp. 146–187. Oxford University Press, Oxford, England.
- 1998. Variation in female life-history traits among Alaskan populations of the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, L. (Pisces: Gasterosteidae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 63: 141–159. , , , &
- 2008. An overview of life-history variation in female threespine stickleback. Behaviour 145: 579–602. , , &
- 2010. Predation history and vulnerability: conservation of the stickleback adaptive radiation. Biol. Cons. 143: 1184–1192. , , , , &
- 1994. Introduction to the evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (W.A.Bell & S.A.Foster, eds), pp. 1–27. Oxford University Press, Oxford, England. &
- 1994. Pelvic reduction in threespine stickleback from Cook Inlet lakes: geographical distribution and intrapopulation variation. Copeia 1994: 314–325. &
- 1993. Evolution of pelvic reduction in threespine stickleback fish – a test of competing hypotheses. Evolution 47: 906–914. , , &
- 2004. Twelve years of contemporary armor evolution in a threespine stickleback population. Evolution 58: 814–824. , &
- 2001. Trends and rates of microevolution in plants. Genetica 112–113: 165–182. &
- 1995. Evolution and extinction in a changing environment: a quantitative-genetic analysis. Evolution 49: 151–163. &
- 2003. Evolution of cryptic flight morph and life history differences during host race formation in the soapberry bug, Jadera haematoloma Herrich-Schaeffer (Hemiptera: Rhopalidae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 96: 135–143. , , &
- 1859. On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. J. Murray, London, England.
- 1980. Natural selection on color pattern in Poecilia reticulata. Evolution 34: 76–91.
- 1995. A hierarchical response to differences in ration size in the reproductive performance of female three-spined sticklebacks. J. Fish Biol. 46: 657–668. &
- 2004. Evolution in parallel: new insights from a classic system. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 456–459. &
- 2003. The case for conserving threespine stickleback populations: protecting an adaptive radiation. Fisheries 28: 10–18. , &
- 2000. Evolutionary ecology of progeny size in arthropods. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 45: 341–369. &
- 2008. Rapid evolution of flowering time by an annual plant in response to a climate fluctuation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104: 1278–1282. , &
- 2003. Inheritance and natural selection on functional traits. Int. J. Plant Sci. 164: S21–S42. &
- 2003. Multi-trait selection, adaptation, and constraints on the evolution of burst swimming performance. Integr. Comp. Biol. 43: 431–438. , &
- 2001. Rapid evolution of wing size clines in Drosophila subobscura. Genetica 112: 273–286. , &
- 1993. Quantification and comparison of evolutionary rates. Am. J. Sci. 293A: 453–478.
- 2001. Rates of evolution on the time scale of the evolutionary process. Genetica 112–113: 127–144.
- 1995. Predicting microevolutionary responses to directional selection on heritable variation. Evolution 49: 241–251. &
- 2001. Rainforest canopy cover, resource availability, and life history evolution in guppies. Ecology 82: 1546–1559. , , , &
- 1949. Suggestions as to quantitative measurement of rates of evolution. Evolution 3: 51–56.
- 2003. Rapid evolution of egg size in captive salmon. Science 299: 1738–1740. , , , &
- 1993. Clutch production in the darter Etheostoma lynceum Hay and its implications for life-history study. J. Fish Biol. 42: 819–829. &
- 1999. The pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53: 1637–1653. &
- 2008. Conservation of threespine and ninespine stickleback radiations in the Cook Inlet Basin, Alaska. Behaviour 145: 693–724.
- 1991. Fitness consequences of variation in egg size and food abundance in broot trout Salveninus fontinalis. Evolution 45: 1162–1168.
- 2003. General limnology of lakes near Cook Inlet, southcentral Alaska. Lake Reserv. Manage. 19: 141–149. , , &
- 2001. The pace of modern life II: from rates of contemporary microevolution to pattern and process. Genetica 112–113: 145–164. &
- 2003. Rapid response to artificial selection on flower size in Phlox. Heredity 90: 336–342. &
- 1996. A quantitative-genetic perspective on conservation issues. In: Conservation Genetics: Case Studies from Nature (J.C.Avise & J.L.Hamrick, eds), pp. 471–501. Chapman and Hall, Inglewood Cliffs, NJ.
- 2008. Rapid natural selection for resistance to an introduced parasite of rainbow trout. Evol. Appl. 1: 336–341. &
- 1987. Natural selection and the heritability of fitness components. Heredity 59: 181–197. &
- 2006. Extinction of a weakly armoured threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) population in Prator Lake, Alaska. Ecol. Freshw. Fish. 15: 482–487. , &
- 1996. Environmental changes affecting the migratory timing of American shad and sockeye salmon. Ecology 77: 1152–1162. &
- 2001. The population ecology of contemporary adaptations: what empirical studies reveal about the conditions that promote adaptive evolution. Genetica 112–113: 183–198. &
- 1997. Evaluation of the rate of evolution in natural populations of guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Science 275: 1934–1936. , , &
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories: Theory and Analysis. Chapman and Hall, Inglewood Cliffs, NJ.
- 2002. Life History Evolution. Sinaeur Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 1986. Intense natural selection caused a rapid morphological transition in a living marine snail. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 83: 6897–6901.
- 2009. It’s about time: the temporal dynamics of phenotypic selection in the wild. Ecol. Lett. 12: 1261–1276. , &
- 1944. Tempo and Mode in Evolution. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 1991. Quantitative genetic analysis of life histories in two freshwater populations of the threespine stickleback. Copeia 1991: 526–529.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2006. Speciation in reverse: morphological and genetic evidence of the collapse of a three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) species pair. Mol. Ecol. 15: 343–355. , , , , &
- 1998. The evolutionary genetics of maternal effects. In: Maternal Effects as Adaptations (A.Mousseau & C.W.Fox, eds), pp. 5–21. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2010. Dynamics of extinction of a small population of the three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus L.) caused by habitat modification. Aquat. Conserv. Mar. Freshwater Ecosyst. 20: 365–370.