Sperm competition does not influence sperm hook morphology in selection lines of house mice
Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 4, pages 856–862, April 2011
How to Cite
FIRMAN, R. C., CHEAM, L. Y. and SIMMONS, L. W. (2011), Sperm competition does not influence sperm hook morphology in selection lines of house mice. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 856–862. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2010.02219.x
- Issue online: 14 MAR 2011
- Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2011
- Received 23 July 2010; revised 14 December 2010; accepted 16 December 2010
- 1998. Sperm Competition and Sexual Selection. Academic Press, London. &
- 2004. The spermatozoon of Eurasian murine rodents: its morphological diversity and evolution. J. Morphol. 261: 52–69.
- 2003. Sperm competition and the evolution of gamete morphology in frogs. Proc. R Soc. Lond. B 270: 2079–2086. , &
- 1985. On mammaian sperm dimensions. J. Reprod. Fertil. 75: 153–175. &
- 2009. Sperm competition and the evolution of the sperm hook in house mice. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 2505–2511. &
- 2010a. Experimental evolution of sperm quality via postcopulatory sexual selection in house mice. Evolution 64: 1245–1256. &
- 2010b. Sperm midpiece length predicts sperm swimming velocity in house mice. Biol. Lett. 6: 513–516. &
- 2010. Competition drives cooperation among closely related sperm of deer mice. Nature 463: 801–803. &
- 2009. Heterozygosity and sperm quality in mammals. Biol. Lett. 5: 320–323. &
- 2009. Female promiscuity promotes the evolution of faster sperm in cichlid fishes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 106: 1128–1132. , , , , &
- 2004. Spermatozoal traits and sperm competition in Atlantic salmon: relative sperm velocity is the primary determinant of fertilization success. Curr. Biol. 14: 44–47. , , , , &
- 2006. Reduced heterozygosity depresses sperm quality in wild rabbits, Oryctolagus cuniculus. Curr. Biol. 16: 612–617. , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Sperm competition influences sperm size in mammals. Proc. R Soc. Lond. B 243: 181–185. &
- 2000. A comparative study of ejaculate traits in three endangered ungulates with different levels of inbreeding: fluctuating asymmetry as an indicator of reproductive and genetic stress. Proc. R Soc. Lond. B 267: 875–882. , &
- 2006. Sperm competition enhances functional capacity of mammalian spermatozoa. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103: 15113–15117. , , , &
- 2001. Experimental evidence for testis size evolution via sperm competition. Ecol. Lett. 4: 10–13. &
- 2001. Sexual conflict selects for male and female reproductive characters. Curr. Biol. 11: 489–493. , &
- 2007. By hook or by crook? Morphometry, competition and cooperation in rodent sperm. PLoS ONE 1: e170. , , &
- 2005. Male fertility in natural populations of red deer is determined by sperm velocity and the proportion of normal spermatozoa. Biol. Reprod. 72: 822–829. , , , &
- 2006. Sperm design and sperm function. Biol. Lett. 2: 246–249. , , , , &
- 2005. Sprem head morphology in 36 species of Artiodactylans, Perissodactylans, and Cetaceans (Mammalia). J. Morphol. 263: 179–202. , &
- 2002. Exceptional sperm cooperation in the wood mouse. Nature 418: 174–177. , , &
- 1996. Progesterone and the zona pellucida activate different transducing pathways in the sequence of events leading to diacylglycerol generation during mouse sperm acrosomal exocytosis. Biochem. J. 320: 1017–1023. &
- 1970. Sperm competition and its evlutionary consequences in the insects. Biol. Rev. 45: 525–567.
- 1990. Sperm competition games: raffles and roles. Proc. R Soc. Lond. B 242: 120–126.
- 2001. Males’ evolutionary response to experimental removal of sexual selection. Proc. R Soc. Lond. B 268: 1071–1080. , , &
- 2004. Effectiveness of sexual selection in preventing fitness deterioration in bulb mite populations under relaxed natural selection. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 94–99. , , &
- 2005. Sperm competition and the evolution of male reproductive anatomy in rodents. Proc. R Soc. Lond. B 272: 949–955. , &
- 1968. The Mouse: Its Reproduction and Development. Burgess Publishing Company, Minneapolis.
- 2004. Intraspecific variation of testis size and sperm length in the yellow-pine chipmunk (Tamias amoenus): implications for sperm competition and reproductive success. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 55: 272–277. &
- 1997. Rapid decline of fitness in panmitic populations of Drosophila melanogaster maintained under relaxed natural selection. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94: 13034–13039. , &
- 2001. Sperm Competition and its Evolutionary Consequences in the Insects. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 2008. Evolutionary reduction in testes size and competitive fertilisation success in response to the experimental removal of sexual selection in dung beetles. Evolution 62: 2580–2591. &
- 2009. A test and review of the role of effective population size on experimental sexual selection patterns. Evolution 63: 1923–1933. , &
- 1997. Sperm competition in fishes: the evolution of testis size and ejaculate characteristics. Am. Nat. 149: 933–954. , , &
- 2004. Geometric Morphometrics for Biologists – a Primer. Elsevier, San Diego. , , &