Present address: Resource Ecology Group, Wageningen University, the Netherlands.
No evidence for general condition-dependence of structural plumage colour in blue tits: an experiment
Article first published online: 10 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 5, pages 976–987, May 2011
How to Cite
PETERS, A., KURVERS, R. H. J. M., ROBERTS, M. L. and DELHEY, K. (2011), No evidence for general condition-dependence of structural plumage colour in blue tits: an experiment. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 976–987. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02229.x
- Issue published online: 19 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 10 FEB 2011
- Received 17 August 2010; revised 28 December 2010; accepted 4 January 2011
- 2010. Regulation of stress response is heritable and functionally linked to melanin-based coloration. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 987–996. , , &
- 2004. Ultraviolet reflectance affects male-male interactions in the blue tit (Parus caeruleus ultramarinus). Behav. Ecol. 15: 805–809. , &
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate – a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. R. Stat. Soc. B 57: 289–300. &
- 2008. Corticosterone in feathers is a long-term, integrated measure of avian stress physiology. Funct. Ecol. 22: 494–500. , , &
- 1983. Self-Assembly of Avian Phi-Keratins. J. Protein Chem. 2: 63–75.
- 2009. Signals of quality and age: the information content of multiple plumage ornaments in male western bluebirds Sialia mexicana. J. Avian Biol. 40: 18–27. &
- 2010. Effects of small increases in corticosterone levels on morphology, immune function, and feather development. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 83: 78–86. , &
- 2008. Life history trade-offs are influenced by the diversity, availability and interactions of dietary antioxidants. Anim. Behav. 76: 1107–1119. , &
- 2009. Dietary flavonoids enhance conspicuousness of a melanin-based trait in male blackcaps but not of the female homologous trait or of sexually monochromatic traits. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 1649–1657. , &
- 1977. Some blood characteristics of White-crowned Sparrows during molt. Auk 94: 169–171. &
- 2004. Do sexual ornaments demonstrate heightened condition-dependent expression as predicted by the handicap hypothesis? Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 771–783. , &
- 2001. Problems with residual analysis. Anim. Behav. 62: 599–602. &
- 2008. Quantifying variability of avian colours: are signalling traits more variable? PLoS ONE 3: e1689. &
- 2003. Paternity analysis reveals opposing selection pressures on crown coloration in the blue tit (Parus caeruleus). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 2057–2064. , , , &
- 2006. Seasonal changes in blue tit crown color: do they signal individual quality? Behav. Ecol. 17: 790–798. , , &
- 2007a. Fertilization success and UV ornamentation in blue tits Cyanistes caeruleus: correlational and experimental evidence. Behav. Ecol. 18: 399–409. , , &
- 2007b. Brood sex ratio and male UV ornamentation in blue tits (Cyanistes caeruleus): correlational evidence and an experimental test. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 61: 853–862. , , &
- 2010a. Seasonal changes in colour: a comparison of structural, melanin-and carotenoid-based plumage colours. PLoS ONE 5: e11582. , , &
- 2010b. The carotenoid-continuum: carotenoid-based plumage ranges from conspicuous to cryptic and back again. BMC Ecol 10: 13. , &
- 1992. Energy requirements for molt in the kestrel Falco tinnunculus. Physiol. Zool. 65: 1217–1235. , &
- 2002. Structural plumage coloration, male body size, and condition in the Blue-Black Grassquit. Condor 104: 30–38.
- 2003a. Structural plumage colour and parasites in satin bowerbirds Ptilonorhynchus violaceus: implications for sexual selection. J. Avian Biol. 34: 237–242. &
- 2003b. Multiple sexual ornaments in satin bowerbirds: ultraviolet plumage and bowers signal different aspects of male quality. Behav. Ecol. 14: 503–509. &
- 2006. Sex ratio and male sexual characters in a population of blue tits, Parus caeruleus. Behav. Ecol. 17: 13–19. , , , , &
- 2005. Comparing entire colour patterns as birds see them. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. Lond. 86: 405–431. &
- 2005. Animal visual systems and the evolution of color patterns: sensory processing illuminates signal evolution. Evolution 59: 1795–1818. , , &
- 1998. Colour schemes for birds: structural coloration and signals of quality in feathers. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 35: 67–77.
- 2003. Females increase offspring heterozygosity and fitness through extra-pair matings. Nature 425: 714–717. , , , &
- 2001. Mass/length residuals: measures of body condition or generators of spurious results? Ecology 82: 1473–1483.
- 2009. Moult speed affects structural feather ornaments in the blue tit. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 782–792. , , , &
- 1989. Ptilochronology – Feather growth bars as indicators of nutritional-status. Auk 106: 314–320.
- 2006. Direct versus indirect sexual selection: genetic basis of colour, size and recruitment in a wild bird. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 1347–1353. , , , , &
- 2000. Visual pigments, oil droplets, ocular media and cone photoreceptor distribution in two species of passerine bird: the blue tit (Parus caeruleus L.) and the blackbird (Turdus merula L.). J. Comp. Physiol. A 186: 375–387. , , &
- 2006. Environmental regulation of ornamental coloration. In: Bird Coloration. Vol 1. Mechanisms and Measurements, Vol. 1 (G.E.Hill & K.McGraw, eds), pp. 507–560. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 2006a. Bird Coloration Vol. 1., Mechanisms and Measurements. Harvard University Press, Boston, MA. &
- 2006b. Bird Coloration Vol. 2., Function and Evolution. Harvard University Press, Cambridge. &
- 2005. The effect of coccidial infection on iridescent plumage coloration in wild turkeys. Anim. Behav. 69: 387–394. , &
- 1999. Preferences for ultraviolet partners in the blue tit. Anim. Behav. 58: 809–815. , , &
- 2008. Stress hormones and mate choice. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23: 532–534. &
- 2007. Effects of nestling condition on UV plumage traits in blue tits: an experimental approach. Behav. Ecol. 18: 34–40. &
- 2010. Dissecting carotenoid from structural components of carotenoid-based coloration: a field experiment with great tits (Parus major). Am. Nat. 176: 55–62. , , , &
- 2005. Male sexual attractiveness and parental effort in blue tits: a test of the differential allocation hypothesis. Anim. Behav. 70: 877–888. , , , &
- 1995. Sexual selection, honest advertisement and the handicap principle: reviewing the evidence. Biol. Rev. 70: 1–65.
- 2009. Sexual selection and condition-dependence. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 2387–2394. , &
- 2004. Adaptive allocation of stress-induced deformities on bird feathers. J. Evol. Biol. 17: 294–301. &
- 2003. Animal colour vision – behavioural tests and physiological concepts. Biol. Rev. 78: 81–118. , &
- 1999. Condition-dependent variation in the blue-ultraviolet coloration of a structurally based plumage ornament. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 771–777. &
- 1995. Moult and basal metabolic costs in males of two subspecies of stonechats: the European Saxicola torquata rubicula and the East African S. t. axillaris. Oecologia 104: 424–432.
- 2006. Primary sex ratio adjustment to experimentally reduced male UV attractiveness in blue tits. Behav. Ecol. 17: 539–546.
- 2008. Experimental manipulation of testosterone and condition during molt affects activity and vocalizations of male blue tits. Horm. Behav. 54: 263–269. , , &
- 2010. No consistent female preference for higher crown UV reflectance in blue tits Cyanistes caeruleus: a mate choice experiment. Ibis 152: 393–396. , , &
- 2004. Female blue tits adjust parental effort to manipulated male UV attractiveness. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 1903–1908. , , &
- 1993. The energetic cost of feather synthesis is proportional to basal metabolic rate. Physiol. Zool. 66: 490–510. , &
- 2008. Condition-dependent effects of corticosterone on a carotenoid-based begging signal in house sparrows. Horm. Behav. 53: 266–273. , , , &
- 2007. Diet quality affects an attractive white plumage pattern in dark-eyed juncos (Junco hyemalis). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 61: 1391–1399. , , &
- 2008. An update on the honesty of melanin-based color signals in birds. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 21: 133–138.
- 2002. Different colors reveal different information: how nutritional stress affects the expression of melanin- and structurally based ornamental plumage. J. Exp. Biol. 205: 3747–3755. , , &
- 2010. Physiological stress links parasites to carotenoid-based colour signals. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 643–650. , , , &
- 1991. Protein-intake and the dynamics of the postnuptial molt in White-Crowned Sparrows, Zonotrichia leucophrys gambelii. Can. J. Zool. 69: 2225–2229. &
- 1995. Sparrows increase their rates of tissue and whole-body protein synthesis during the annual molt. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 111A: 385–396. &
- 1988. Malnutrition during the postnuptial molt of White-Crowned Sparrows – Feather growth and quality. Can. J. Zool. 66: 1403–1413. , &
- 2010. The paradigm of body condition: a critical reappraisal of current methods based on mass and length. Funct. Ecol. 24: 1323–1332. &
- 2006. Age-dependent association between testosterone and crown UV coloration in male blue tits (Parus caeruleus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 59: 666–673. , , &
- 2007. The condition-dependent development of carotenoid-based and structural plumage in nestling blue tits: males and females differ. Am. Nat. 169: S122–S136. , , &
- 2008. Condition-dependence of multiple carotenoid-based plumage traits: an experimental study. Funct. Ecol. 22: 831–839. , , , &
- 2011. The carotenoid conundrum: improved nutrition boosts plasma carotenoid levels but not immune benefits of carotenoid supplementation. Oecologia, in press. , &
- 2005. Dietary amino acids influence plumage traits and immune responses of male house sparrows, Passer domesticus, but not as expected. Anim. Behav. 70: 1171–1181. , , &
- 2006. Anatomy, physics, and evolution of structural colours. In: Bird Coloration. Vol. 1. Mechanisms and Measurements (G.Hill & K.McGraw, eds), pp. 295–353. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 2010. The Lande-Kirkpatrick mechanism is the null model of evolution by intersexual selection: implications for meaning, honesty, and design in intersexual signals. Evolution 64: 3085–3100.
- 2009. Development of colour-producing β-keratin nanostructures in avian feather barbs. J. R. Soc. Interface 6: S253. , , &
- 2010. Mediating male–male interactions: the role of the UV blue crest coloration in blue tits. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 64: 1839–1847. , , &
- 2009. Is testosterone immunosuppressive in a condition-dependent manner? An experimental test in blue tits. J. Exp. Biol. 212: 1811–1818. &
- 2009. Testosterone increases UV reflectance of sexually selected crown plumage in male blue tits. Behav. Ecol. 20: 535–541. , &
- 2002. Seasonal changes in plasma glucocorticoid concentrations in free-living vertebrates. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 128: 1–24.
- 2005. Corticosterone inhibits feather growth: potential mechanism explaining seasonal down regulation of corticosterone during molt. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A Mol. Integr. Physiol. 142: 65–73. , &
- 2008. Corticosterone mediates the condition-dependent component of melanin-based coloration. Anim. Behav. 75: 1351–1358. , &
- 2003. Nanostructure predicts intraspecific variation in ultraviolet-blue plumage colours. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 1455–1460. , , &
- 2006. An experimental test of the contributions and condition dependence of microstructure and carotenoids in yellow plumage coloration. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 2985–2991. , , , &
- 1999. Ultraviolet colour variation influences blue tit sex ratios. Nature 402: 874–877. , , , &
- 2005. Evidence for sexual selection on structural plumage coloration in female eastern bluebirds s (Sialia sialis). Evolution 59: 1819–1828. &
- 2007. The effect of rearing environment on blue structural coloration of eastern bluebirds (Sialia sialis). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 61: 1839–1846. &
- 2007. Sexual dichromatism, dimorphism, and condition-dependent coloration in Blue-tailed Bee-eaters. The Condor 109: 577–584. , , &
- 1995. 3-Methylhistidine excretion by molting and non-molting sparrows. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 111: 397–403. &
- 2010. Ultraviolet crown colouration affects contest outcomes among male blue tits, but only in the absence of prior encounters. Funct. Ecol. 24: 417–425. , , &
- 1998. Tetrachromacy, oil droplets and bird plumage colours. J. Comp. Physiol. A 183: 621–633. , , , &