Present address: Institute for Integrative Biology, Experimental Ecology, ETH Zurich, Switzerland.
The expression and impact of antifungal grooming in ants
Article first published online: 10 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 5, pages 954–964, May 2011
How to Cite
REBER, A., PURCELL, J., BUECHEL, S. D., BURI, P. and CHAPUISAT, M. (2011), The expression and impact of antifungal grooming in ants. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 954–964. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02230.x
- Issue published online: 19 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 10 FEB 2011
- Received 12 May 2010; revised 23 December 2010; accepted 4 January 2011
- 1984. The evolution of eusociality. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 15: 165–189.
- 2007. Environmental adversity and uncertainty favour cooperation. BMC Evol. Biol. 7: 240. , &
- 2007. Waste management in the leaf-cutting ant Acromyrmex lobicornis: division of labour, aggressive behaviour, and location of external refuse dumps. J. Insect Behav. 20: 87–98. , &
- 2004. Odour convergence and tolerance between nestmates through trophallaxis and grooming in the ant Camponotus fellah (Dalla Torre). Ins. Soc. 51: 55–61. , , &
- 2010. Social evolution: sick ants face death alone. Curr. Biol. 20: R104–R105.
- 2004. Variable queen number in ant colonies: no impact on queen turnover, inbreeding, and population genetic differentiation in the ant Formica selysi. Evolution 58: 1064–1072. , &
- 2007. Wood ants use resin to protect themselves against pathogens. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 274: 2013–2017. , , &
- 2009. Cooperation between non-kin in animal societies. Nature 462: 51–57.
- 2007. Social immunity. Curr. Biol. 17: R693–R702. , &
- 2010. The social role of touch in humans and primates: behavioural function and neurobiological mechanisms. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 34: 260–268.
- 1984. Digestion of chitin by the labial glands of Acromyrmex octospinosus Reich (Hymenoptera, Formicidae). Can. J. Zool. 62: 229–234. , &
- 2007. Disease prevention and resistance in social insects: modeling the survival consequences of immunity, hygienic behavior, and colony organization. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 61: 565–577. , , &
- 2006. Active use of the metapleural glands by ants in controlling fungal infection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 1689–1695. , , &
- 1994. Interactions between fungal pathogens and insect hosts. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 39: 293–322. &
- 1987. Kinship, recognition, disease, and intelligence: constraints of social evolution. In: Animal Societies: Theories and Facts (Y.Ito, J.L.Brown & J.Kikkawa, eds), pp. 81–102. Japan Sci. Soc. Press, Tokyo.
- 2001. Task partitioning, division of labour and nest compartmentalisation collectively isolate hazardous waste in the leafcutting ant Atta cephalotes. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 49: 387–392. &
- 2002. Waste management in the leaf-cutting ant Atta colombica. Behav. Ecol. 13: 224–231. &
- 2010. Moribund ants leave their nests to die in social isolation. Curr. Biol. 20: 249–252. &
- 2004. Genetic diversity and disease resistance in leaf-cutting ant societies. Evolution 58: 1251–1260. &
- 2002. Trade-offs in group living: transmission and disease resistance in leaf-cutting ants. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 1811–1819. , &
- 1999. The epizootiology of a Metarhizium infection in mini-nests of the leaf-cutting ant Atta sexdens rubropilosa. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 93: 51–61. , &
- 2001. Contribution to the autoecology of Formica selysi Bondroit, 1918 (Hymenoptera, Formicidae) in a mature steppe and a newly created alluvial zone at Pfynwald (Switzerland): I. Feeding ecology. Mitt. Schweiz. Entomol. Ges. 74: 183–193. &
- 2003. Distribution of insect pathogenic soil fungi in Switzerland with special reference to Beauveria brongniartii and Metharhizium anisopliae. Biocontrol 48: 307–319. , &
- 1997. Manual of Techniques in Insect Pathology. Academic Press, San Diego. (ed.)
- 2006. Defending against parasites: fungus-growing ants combine specialized behaviours and microbial symbionts to protect their fungus gardens. Biol. Lett. 2: 12–16. , , &
- 1964. On some features of behavior of the ants Formica rufa L. infected with fungous disease. Ins. Soc. 9: 173–179.
- 2009. Relationship between virulence and repellency of entomopathogenic isolates of Metarhizium anisopliae and Beauveria bassiana to the termite Macrotermes michaelseni. J. Insect Physiol. 55: 774–780. , , , , , et al.
- 2002. External development of the entomopathogenic fungi Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae in the subterranean termite Heterotemes tenuis. Sci. Agric. 59: 267–273. , , , , & et al.
- 2004. The evolution of parasite-defence grooming in ungulates. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 81: 17–37. , &
- 2010. Ant farmers practice proactive personal hygiene to protect their fungus crop. Curr. Biol. 20: R553–R554. , , &
- 2008. Structure of the social network and its influence on transmission dynamics in a honeybee colony. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 62: 1719–1725.
- 2002. Experimental evidence for the costs and hygienic significance of the antibiotic metapleural gland secretion in leaf-cutting ants. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 52: 151–157. , , &
- R Development Core Team (2006) R: a language and environment for statistical computing. In: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. Vienna, Austria. URL: http://www.R-project.org.
- 2008. Experimentally increased group diversity improves disease resistance in an ant species. Ecol. Lett. 11: 682–689. , , &
- 1997. Pathobiology and disease transmission in dampwood termites [Zootermopsis angusticollis (Isoptera: Termopsidae)] infected with the fungus Metarhizium anisopliae (Deuteromycotina: Hypomycetes). Sociobiology 30: 185–195. &
- 1998a. Inhibitory effect of termite fecal pellets on fungal spore germination. J. Chem. Ecol. 24: 1697–1706. , &
- 1998b. Disease resistance: a benefit of sociality in the dampwood termite Zootermopsis angusticollis (Isoptera: Termopsidae). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 44: 125–134. , , &
- 2009. Insects had it first: surfactants as a defence against predators. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 276: 633–638. &
- 1998. Parasites in Social Insects. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 2003. Penalized survival models and frailty. J. Comput. Graph. Stat. 12: 156–175. , &
- 2002. The development of immunity in a social insect: evidence for the group facilitation of disease resistance. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99: 6838–6842. , &
- 2007. Social prophylaxis: group interaction promotes collective immunity in ant colonies. Curr. Biol. 17: 1967–1971. &
- 2010. Rapid anti-pathogen response in ant societies relies on high genetic diversity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 277: 2821–2828. , , , &
- 2009. Adaptive social immunity in leaf-cutting ants. Biol. Lett. 5: 446–448. &
- 2009. Genetic, individual, and group facilitation of disease resistance in insect societies. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 54: 405–423. , &
- 2007. Resistance of the termite, Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki to Metarhizium anisopliae due to grooming. Biocontrol 52: 75–85. &
- 2008. Defense mechanism of the termite, Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki, to entomopathogenic fungi. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 97: 165–170. , &