Selection on male longevity in a monogamous human population: late-life survival brings no additional grandchildren
Article first published online: 23 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 5, pages 1053–1063, May 2011
How to Cite
LAHDENPERÄ, M., LUMMAA, V. and RUSSELL, A. F. (2011), Selection on male longevity in a monogamous human population: late-life survival brings no additional grandchildren. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 1053–1063. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02237.x
- Issue published online: 19 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 23 FEB 2011
- Received 26 August 2010; revised 10 January 2011; accepted 13 January 2011
- 2006. How well does paternity confidence match actual paternity? Evidence from worldwide nonpaternity rates. Curr. Anthropol. 48: 511–518.
- 2008. Sexual selection, sexual conflict and the evolution of ageing and lifespan. Funct. Ecol. 22: 443–453. , , &
- 1986. Parental investment and elite family structure in preindustrial states: a case study of late medieval-early modern Portuguese genealogies. Am. Anthropol. 88: 859–878.
- 1998. Brothers and sisters: how sibling interactions affect optimal parental allocations. Hum. Nat. 9: 119–162.
- 2009. Bateman’s principle and human sex roles. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24: 297–304. , &
- 2001. Patterns of age-specific means and genetic variances of mortality rates predicted by the mutation-accumulation theory of ageing. J. Theor. Biol. 210: 47–65.
- 1981. Marriage and Remarriage in Populations of the Past. Academic Press, London. , , , & (eds.)
- 1995. The relationship between cumulative number of cohabiting partners and number of children for men and women in modern Sweden. Ethol. Sociobiol. 16: 221–232. , &
- 2010. Pair-bonding modifies the age-specific intensity of natural selection on human female fecundity. Am. Nat. 176: 159–169. , , &
- 2007. Longevity among hunter-gatherers: a cross-cultural examination. Popul. Dev. Rev. 33: 321–365. &
- 1966. The moulding of senescence by natural selection. J. Theor. Biol. 12: 12–45.
- 1995. The male’s dilemma: increased offspring production is more paternity to steal. Evol. Ecol. 9: 662–677. , &
- 1998. Grandmothering, menopause, and the evolution of human life histories. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 95: 1336–1339. , , , &
- 2000. Sibling solidarity in a polygamous community in the USA: unpacking inclusive fitness. Evol. Hum. Behav. 21: 125–139. &
- 1998. Sexual conflict and remarriage in preindustrial human populations: causes and fitness consequences. Evol. Hum. Behav. 19: 139–151. , , , &
- 2000. A theory of human life history evolution: diet, intelligence, and longevity. Evol. Anthropol. 9: 156–185. , , &
- 2003. Human life histories and the demographic transition: a case study from Finland, 1870-1949. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 120: 384–390.
- 1968. Ecological Adaptations for Breeding in Birds. Methuen, London.
- 2004. Fitness benefits of prolonged post-reproductive lifespan in women. Nature 428: 178–181. , , , &
- 2007. Selection for long lifespan in men: benefits of grandfathering? Proc. R Soc. Lond. Ser. B 274: 2437–2444. , &
- 2011. Selection on menopause in two pre-modern human populations: no evidence for the Mother hypothesis. Evolution 65: 476–489. , , &
- 1990. Occupational status, landownership, and reproductive behavior in 19th –Century Sweden: Tuna Parish. Am. Anthropol. 92: 457–468.
- 1998. Natural selection on human twinning. Nature 394: 533–534. , , &
- 2001. Gender difference in benefits of twinning in pre-industrial humans: boys did not pay. J. Anim. Ecol. 70: 739–746. , &
- 1993. Suomen tilastotoimen historia vuoteen 1970. WSOY, Helsinki.
- 2008. Sex difference in life span affected by female birth rate in modern humans. Evol. Hum. Behav. 29: 444–449.
- 2000. The patriarch hypothesis: an alternative explanation of menopause. Hum. Nat. 11: 27–42.
- 2000. Sex Differences: Developmental and Evolutionary Strategies. Academic Press, San Diego.
- 2002. Widowhood options and strategies in preindustrial northern Europe. Socioeconomic differences in household position of the widowed in 18th and 19th century Finland. Hist. Fam. 7: 79–99.
- 2008. Measuring senescence in wild animal populations: towards a longitudinal approach. Funct. Ecol. 22: 393–406. , , &
- 1994. A relational Gompertz model of male fertility: development and assessment. Popul. Stud. 48: 333–340. &
- 2007. Differential fitness costs of reproduction between sexes. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104: 553–558. &
- 2005. Heritability and genetic constraints of life-history trait evolution in pre-industrial humans. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102: 2838–2843. , , &
- 2007. Natural selection on female life-history traits in relation to socio-economic status in pre-industrial human populations. PLoS ONE 7: e606. , , &
- 2006. Age-Dependent traits: a new statistical model to separate within- and between- individual effects. Am. Nat. 167: 764–771. &
- 2007. Genetic relatedness and sibling relationship characteristics in a modern society. Evol. Hum. Behav. 28: 176–185.
- 2009. Market forces affect patterns of polygyny in Uganda. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106: 2114–2117. &
- 2008. The evolution of senescence from a comparative perspective. Funct. Ecol. 22: 379–392.
- 2008. Who keeps children alive? A review of the effects of kin on child survival. Evol. Hum. Behav. 29: 1–18. &
- 1974. Old Traditional Agriculture in Finland in the 18th and 19th Centuries. Forssan Kirjapaino Oy, Forssa.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2010. Measuring selection in contemporary human populations. Nature Rev. Genet. 11: 611–622. , , &
- 1992. Sinful sex: legal prosecution of extramarital sex in preindustrial Sweden. Soc. Sci. Hist. 16: 99–128.
- 2007. Sexual selection effects on the evolution of senescence. PLoS ONE 2: e785. , &
- 1988. Differential infant and child mortality in evolutionary perspective: data from late 17th to 19th century Ostfriesland. In: Human Reproductive Behavior (L.Betzig, M.Borgerhoff Mulder & P.Turke, eds), pp. 253–261. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1957. Pleiotropy, natural selection and the evolution of senescence. Evolution 11: 398–411.
- 1966. Natural selection, the costs of reproduction and a refinement of Lack’s principle. Am. Nat. 100: 687–690.
- 2010. Biostatistical Analysis, 5th edn. Pearson Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.