Whither Pst? The approximation of Qst by Pst in evolutionary and conservation biology
Article first published online: 4 APR 2011
© 2011 The Author. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 6, pages 1160–1168, June 2011
How to Cite
BROMMER, J. E. (2011), Whither Pst? The approximation of Qst by Pst in evolutionary and conservation biology. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 1160–1168. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02268.x
- Issue published online: 6 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2011
- Received 4 February 2011; revised 3 March 2011; accepted 4 March 2011
- 2010. Increasing melanism along a latitudinal gradient in a widespread amphibian: local adaptation, ontogenic or environmental plasticity? BMC Evol. Biol. 10: 317. , , , , &
- 2010. Local adaptation maintains clinal variation in melanin-based coloration of European barn owls (Tyto alba). Evolution 64: 1944–1954. , , , &
- 2008. Extreme neutral genetic and morphological divergence supports classification of Adriatic three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations as distinct conservation units. Biol. Conserv. 141: 1055–1066. , , , &
- 2008. Qst meets the G matrix: the dimensionality of adaptive divergence in multiple correlated quantitative traits. Evolution 62: 1437–1449. &
- 2008. Genetic basis of fitness differences in natural populations. Nature 452: 169–175. &
- 2009. Speciation with gene flow in the large white-headed gulls: does selection counterbalance introgression? Heredity 102: 133–146. , , , , &
- 2005. A standardized genetic differentiation measure. Evolution 59: 1633–1638.
- 2008. G(ST) and its relatives do not measure differentiation. Mol. Ecol. 17: 4015–4026.
- 2009. Geographic patterns of genetic differentiation and plumage colour variation are different in the pied flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca). Mol. Ecol. 18: 4463–4476. , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Contrasting patterns of body shape and neutral genetic divergence in marine and lake populations of threespine sticklebacks. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1803–1812. , , &
- 2008. Comparative studies of quantitative trait and neutral marker divergence: a meta-analysis. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1–17. , , &
- 1999. The quantitative and molecular genetic architecture of a subdivided species. Evolution 53: 100–110. , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Adaptive population divergence: markers, QTL and traits. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 285–291. &
- 1997. Quantitative trait and allozyme divergence in the greenfinch (Carduelis chloris, Aves: Fringillidae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 61: 243–266.
- 2001. Comparison of genetic differentiation at marker loci and quantitative traits. J. Evol. Biol. 14: 892–903. &
- 2008. FST and QST under neutrality. Genetics 180: 1023–1037. , &
- 2005. Bias and precision in Q(ST) estimates: problems and some solutions. Genetics 171: 1331–1339. &
- 2005. Morphological divergence and origin of sympatric populations of European whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus L.) in Lake Femund, Norway. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 683–702. , , , &
- 2008. Complex patterns of genetic and phenotypic divergence in an island bird and the consequences for delimiting conservation units. Mol. Ecol. 17: 2839–2853. , , , , &
- 2008. Are Q(ST)-F-ST comparisons for natural populations meaningful? Mol. Ecol. 17: 4782–4785. , , &
- 2007. Divergent selection as revealed by P-ST and QTL-based F-ST in three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations along a coastal-inland gradient. Mol. Ecol. 16: 891–905. , , , &
- 2007. Inferring local adaptation from Q(ST)-F-ST comparisons: neutral genetic and quantitative trait variation in European populations of great snipe. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 1563–1576. , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Divergent selection maintains adaptive differentiation despite high gene flow between sympatric rainbow smelt ecotypes (Osmerus mordax Mitchill). Mol. Ecol. 12: 315–330. , &
- 2010. Population structure in the barn swallow, Hirundo rustica: a comparison between neutral DNA markers and quantitative traits. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 99: 306–314. , , , &
- 2002. Contrasting patterns of divergence in quantitative traits and neutral DNA markers: analysis of clinal variation. Mol. Ecol. 11: 2537–2551.
- 2006. Morphometric and meristic variation between stocks of Bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix) in the Black, Marmara, Aegean and northeastern Mediterranean Seas. Fish. Res. 79: 139–147. , , &
- 2005. Challenges for identifying functionally important genetic variation: the promise of combining complementary research strategies. Mol. Ecol. 14: 3623–3642. &
- 2005. Distinguishing adaptive from nonadaptive genetic differentiation: comparison of QST and FST at two spatial scales. Heredity 95: 466–475. , , , &
- 2010. Rapidly developing functional genomics in ecological model systems via 454 transcriptome sequencing. Genetica 138: 433–451.
- 2008. Evolutionary inference from QST. Mol. Ecol. 17: 1885–1889.
- 2006. Selection in a cycling population: differential response among skeletal traits. Evolution 60: 1925–1935. , , &
- 1943. Isolation by distance. Genetics 28: 114–138.