Evolution and stability of the G-matrix during the colonization of a novel environment
Version of Record online: 20 APR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 6, pages 1363–1373, June 2011
How to Cite
EROUKHMANOFF, F. and SVENSSON, E. I. (2011), Evolution and stability of the G-matrix during the colonization of a novel environment. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 1363–1373. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02270.x
- Issue online: 6 MAY 2011
- Version of Record online: 20 APR 2011
- Received 17 November 2010; revised 18 February 2011; accepted 8 March 2011
- 2009. How much do genetic covariances alter the rate of adaptation? Proc. Roy. Soc. B – Biol. Sci. 276: 1183–1191. &
- 2001. Possible consequences of genes of major effect: transient changes in the G-matrix. Genetica 112–113: 33–43. , &
- 1992. Constraints on phenotypic evolution. Am. Nat. 140: S85–S107.
- 2008. Understanding the evolution and stability of the G-matrix. Evolution 62: 2451–2461. , , , &
- 2008. Adaptation from standing genetic variation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23: 38–44. &
- 2008. Natural selection on a major armor gene in threespine stickleback. Science 322: 255–257. , &
- 2008. Natural selection drives patterns of lake-stream divergence in stickleback foraging morphology. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1653–1665. , , &
- 2009. Foraging trait (co)variances in stickleback evolve deterministically and do not predict trajectories of adaptive diversification. Evolution 64: 2265–2277. , &
- 2003. Sexual selection, antennae length and the mating advantage of large males in Asellus aquaticus. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 698–707. &
- 2002. Quantification of sexual dimorphism in Asellus aquaticus (Crustacea: Isopoda) using outline approaches. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 77: 523–533. , , &
- 1996. The importance of evolutionary constraints in ecological time scales. Evol. Ecol. 10: 423–431.
- 2004. Orientation of the genetic variance–covariance matrix and the fitness surface for multiple male sexually selected traits. Am. Nat. 163: 329–340. , &
- 2004. Population differentiation in G matrix structure due to natural selection in Rana temporaria. Evolution 58: 2013–2020. , , &
- 2010. The contribution of selection and genetic constraints to phenotypic divergence. Am. Nat. 175: 186–196. , &
- 1996. Quantitative genetic analysis of cranial morphology in the cotton-top (Saguinus oedipus) and saddle-back S. fuscicollis) tamarins. J. Evol. Biol. 9: 5–42.
- 2008. Rapid divergence of genetic variance–covariance matrix within a natural population. Am. Nat. 171: 291–304. , , &
- 1996. The response to selection on plant physiological traits: evidence for local adaptation. Evolution 50: 103–110.
- 2009. Just how much is the G-matrix constraining adaptation? Evol. Biol. 36: 214–224.
- 2009. Contemporary parallel diversification, antipredator adaptations and phenotypic integration in an aquatic isopod. PLoS ONE 4: e6173, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0006173. &
- 2009a. Parallelism and historical contingency during rapid ecotype divergence in an isopod. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 1098–1110. , , , , &
- 2009b. Adaptive divergence between ecotypes of an aquatic isopod inferred form FST–QST analysis. Mol. Ecol. 8: 4912–4923. , &
- 2011. The importance of different reproductive barriers during phenotypic divergence between isopod ecotypes. Evolution (in press). , &
- 2009. The evolutionary origins of beneficial alleles during the repeated adaptation of garter snakes to deadly prey. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106: 13415–13420. , , &
- 2007. Effects of migration on the genetic covariance matrix. Evolution 61: 2398–2409. &
- 2006. Is size-assortative mating important for rapid pigment differentiation in a freshwater isopod? J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1911–1919. &
- 2004. Habitat-specific pigmentation in a freshwater isopod: adaptive evolution over a small spatiotemporal scale. Evolution 58: 81–94. , &
- 2005. Locally differentiated cryptic pigmentation in the freshwater isopod Asellus aquaticus. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 713–721. , &
- 2007. Long-term patterns of shifts between clear and turbid states in Lake Krankesjon and Lake Takern. Ecosystems 10: 28–35. , &
- 2009. Characterizing the evolution of genetic variance using genetic covariance tensors. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. B – Biol. Sci. 364: 1567–1578. , , &
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130: 195–204.
- 1994. The dual role of selection and evolutionary history as reflected in genetic correlations. Evolution 48: 587–596. , &
- 2003. Stability of the G-matrix in a population experiencing pleiotropic mutation, stabilizing selection, and genetic drift. Evolution 57: 1747–1760. , &
- 2004. Evolution of the G-matrix on a landscape with a moving optimum. Evolution 58: 1639–1654. , &
- 2010a. Phenotypic plasticity towards the social environment: effects of density and sex-ratio on mating behaviour following ecotype divergence. PLoS ONE 5: e12755, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0012755. , &
- 2010b. Parallel divergence in mate guardig behaviour following colonization of a novel habitat. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 2540. , , &
- 1979. Quantitative genetics analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain: body size allometry. Evolution 33: 402–416.
- 2004. Shared and unique features of evolutionary diversification. Am. Nat. 164: 335–349. &
- 2009. On the origin and spread of an adaptive allele in deer mice. Science 325: 1095–1098. , , &
- 1985. Developmental constraints and evolution: a perspective from the mountain lake conference on development and evolution. Q. Rev. Biol. 60: 65–287. , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Studying evolution using multivariate quantitative genetics. Mol. Ecol. 15: 883–896.
- 2005. Phenotypic divergence along lines of genetic variance. Am. Nat. 172: 194–202. , &
- 1999. Population divergence and morphometric integration in the greenfinch (Carduelis chloris) – evolution against the trajectory of least resistance? J. Evol. Biol. 12: 103–112. &
- 2007. WOMBAT – a tool for mixed model analyses in quantitative genetics by restricted maximum likelihood (REML). J. Zhejiang Univ. Sci. B 8: 815–821.
- 2003. Comparing G matrices: are common principal components informative? Genetics 165: 411–425. &
- 1999. Hierarchical comparison of genetic variance–covariance matrices. I. Using the Flury hierarchy. Evolution 53: 1506–1515. &
- 2001. Inbreeding changes the shape of the genetic covariance matrix in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 158: 1137–1145. , &
- 1985. The predation on Asellus aquaticus by perch Perca fluviatilis in a small forest lake. Hydrobiologia 121: 27–34. &
- 2007. The G-matrix under fluctuating correlational mutation and selection. Evolution 61: 1857–1872.
- 2000. The evolution of the G matrix: selection or drift? Heredity 84: 135–142.
- 1996. Adaptive radiation along genetic lines of least resistance. Evolution 50: 1766–1774.
- 2009. Genetics and ecological speciation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106: 9955–9962. &
- 2004. Parallel evolution and inheritance of quantitative traits. Am. Nat. 163: 809–822. , , &
- 2004. The genetic covariance among clinal environments after adaptation to an environmental gradient in Drosophila serrata. Genetics 167: 1281–1291. &
- 1995. Changes in genetic covariances and covariances: G whiz! Evolution 49: 1260–1267. , , &
- 2002. Correlational selection and the evolution of genomic architecture. Heredity 89: 329–338. &
- 2002. Comparative quantitative genetics: evolution of the G matrix. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 320–327. , &
- 2009. Experimental evolution reveals natural selection on standing genetic variation. Nat. Genet. 41: 251–257. , , , &
- 1985. Effects of pleiotropy on predictions concerning mutation–selection balance for polygenic traits. Genetics 111: 165–195.
- 2006. Historical contingency and the purported uniqueness of evolutionary innovations. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103: 1804–1809.
- 1998. Food competition and niche separation between fish and the Red-necked Grebe Podiceps grisegena (Boddaert, 1783). Hydrobiologia 368: 75–81. &
- 2008. Evolutionary inference from QST. Mol. Ecol. 17: 1885–1896.
- 2004. Speciation and ecology revisited: phylogenetic niche conservatism and the origin of species. Evolution 58: 193–197.
- 1990. Resistance of genetic correlation structure to directional selection in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 44: 1990–2003. , &
- 1988. Long-term correlated response, interpopulation covariation, and interspecific allometry. Evolution 42: 363–374.